Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

clomid?! What? When? How?

:?I????ve read several of the comments in here and lots refer to Clomid. How long do you have to be trying before recieveing this? What is it exactly? How is it given? How does it work? Anyone had good success with it?

I????m still waiting for my af since my withdrawl- but as I haven????t had a af does this mean I????m not ovulating? How do I know if I am? Read something about Uterus being high/low?

Anyone have any advice- I????d be really grateful. :lol:

Replies

• Hi Ceebee,

There seems to be lots of reasons why people are given Clomid, for most it is because they have gone a number of months witrhout ovulating.

I am on my 2nd round of 50mg of clomid as i have PCOS and didn't have a natural AF for 14 months. Clomid is basically a fertility drug that helps boost the hormone levels in order to ovulate. I had scans and blood tests 1st cycle which showed i ovulated, but BFN and AF arrived day 31. I am now on day 26 of 2nd cycle.

You take clomid on days 2 - 6 of your cycle. If 50mg doesn't work, then they normally double dose. Dr normally perscribes it for about 6 months, as they don't like to leave you on it for too long.

I didn't have too many side effects, few hot flushes, but some people do get quite bad headaches. There are quite a lot of pople who have got their BFP's on clomid and a very good friend is pregnant at the moment and caught on her 6th cycle of clomid. The success rates seem to be very good.

Hope this helps? Let me know if you need to know anything else. Good Luck!!

Jo x
  • Hi - do they give this to anyone with cycle issues or just those with pcos?
  • I think it can be given to anyone who is not ovulating regularly, not just those with PCOS.
  • Yes it can be given to those who do not ovulate regularly. I had av 60-70 day cycles and a 94 day cycle after my mc in Dec. This was my first month of Clomid and took days 5-9 as advised and I was lucky first time thankfully. Another thing I would highly recommend to help regulate cycles is the Agnus Castus - It alone reduced my cycle to 36 days last month.
  • Yes it can be given to those who do not ovulate regularly. I had av 60-70 day cycles and a 94 day cycle after my mc in Dec. This was my first month of Clomid and took days 5-9 as advised and I was lucky first time thankfully. Another thing I would highly recommend to help regulate cycles is the Agnus Castus - It alone reduced my cycle to 36 days last month.
  • Thanks mugwia! I am only on CD40 of first cycle at mo - but before I went on pill 10years ago I could go 6mths without AF so don't know if it will do the same now!! Just looking into options!!
  • Sorry to jump in on this post but jph5uk said you take it on day 2-6 of your cycle but how do you know what day you're on if you dont have an af. I'm being sent to a gynea and i guess they'll put me on it but as i've not had an af for such a long time how do they know when you take it????