Forum home Family life & relationships Food & recipes
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

6 month old refusing milk when started weaning

Can anybody tell me if they have had a similar experience.

I keep reading that others lo are taking 7-8 oz milk per feed, and I'm worried as my lo will only take 4- 5 oz per feed, then gets angry if I try to make him have more. He is an absolute gannet for his food, and eats everything I give him, he has never drank all that much milk, but I think the guldelines say they still need 18-20oz milk per day, even at 7 - 9 months. Even if I try to reduce his food he still wont have more milk, so I just make sure he isn't hungry.

Am worried he isn't getting all the nutrients he needs, due to lack of interest in milk. Can anyone help or advise on this?

Replies

• Hiya hun.. My lo is on 3 meals a day and now im trying 2 get him 2 have 8oz in morn and b4 bed but he will only drink about 4oz in morn, so i try and give him more in daytime 2 top him up but he refuses it! My hv said that if they are teething or system is adapting 2 new foods they can go off milk so i wouldnt worry! Just make sure the meals u offer are v. Nutritous xx
  • Hiya hun.. My lo is on 3 meals a day and now im trying 2 get him 2 have 8oz in morn and b4 bed but he will only drink about 4oz in morn, so i try and give him more in daytime 2 top him up but he refuses it! My hv said that if they are teething or system is adapting 2 new foods they can go off milk so i wouldnt worry! Just make sure the meals u offer are v. Nutritous xx
  • hi, i am having the same problem my lo will have 5 oz at am, 2oz to make breakfast up, upto 5oz during day if lucky and 4-6oz before bed. she has 3 meals a day as well. i am just trying lots of different foods and she loves things in cheese sauce
  • Thanks for your advice.

All his meals are homemade, he has fish, chicken and all vegetables, he loves them all. Was just worried he wasn't getting enough milk. But I suppose his food intake will make up for it. x