Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Buying for baby- Biggest waste of money!

Replies

• Just thought I'd share things that were a waste of money since im now a new mummy!

Might help some of you on a budget.

1. Baby bath- too heavy to lift, so much easier just to take him in the bath with me.
    2. Toiletries box- sits in the bottom of the wardrobe doing nothing!
    3. Microwave seriliser- with all the current stuff about chemicals in heated plastic a large tuperware and some milton tablets is enough!
    4. Sheets!- if you are buying sleeping bags you most probably wont need blankets. I've yet to use one!
    5. Moses basket- I bought one in mothercare for 75 all in with rocking stand. It lasted 2 months before he was too long! Get a swinging crib- the ones from babies r us are the biggest and it will last to 6 months! We got 1 second hand and he looks tiny in it at 9 weeks!

Hope that helps. Anyone else got anything to add to it?
  • my biggest waste of money with my first baby was the nappy bin dident end up using it much just used nappy bags and put the nappies straight in the bin outside
  • Tommee Tippee nappy bin - got a free one as well with Bounty Voucher.
    Bath support from Babies R Us - keeps going smelly, only had it for 2 weeks!
    Buying small size bottles (Tomm Tipp) as got free large ones with Sterilisers
  • I love my baby bath! I hate having a bath and Gabe looks so cute in it image But we're all different. I love the toiletries box too - I put the nappies, wipes and all the toiletries in it so its easy at bath and change times.

I will say a big rip off is the little bottles...so pointless, they will be drinking over 4oz soon enough and its just as easy measuring the milk in the bigger ones.

I agree that cold water sterilising is so much easier, i can't be arsed to fuss around with the microwave especially as none of our house knows how to use it (and we've had it at least 3 months!!)
  • We bought some terry towling nappies which we've never used in 15 months. Disposibles are so much easier.
  • my biggest watse of money was my baby bath and head support along with my baby box, as i dont use either of them much. its easier to bath my lo in the big bath with us and theres more room for her to kick and splash. xx
  • This has been really useful to me as a first time mum to be, I have just started buying things from Ebay so please can people keep adding to this post with advise please?
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev311prs__.png

• It's funny how one persons worst buy is anothers can't live without! Personally I love my nappy wrapper, I can't stand the smell of nappy sacks and going out to the bin 8 times a day just doesn't appeal! I couldn't have managed without a baby bath either as our bath was enourmous and very deep, you need a lot less water to fill a baby bath as well.

My biggest waste of money was buying a cheap analouge baby monitor. The interferance was so bad it ended up in the bin and we bought a digital one instead.
  • I think the absolute cant live without item is muslin squares - easily! Buy loads. They're so useful for winding and putting under baby's head at night in case they're sick so you don't need to change sheets all the time.
  • How many muslin squares is enough (is this a dumb question??) I got 18 Bambino Mio ones from Kiddicare cos they looked a good size - will that do me for starters?

Also, cold water sterilising - it that a tub, cold water and milton?

Finally, we used to get bathed in the sink when we were babies - is this Against The Rules now?? image

Cheers ladies! xx
  • As far as I know bathing in the sink is still fine, just not as many people have really big sinks these days.
    Stick with the chair Lara, Millie hated hers when she was tiny but once she was a few months she used to like to sit in it while I had a shower or did a few jobs.
    xx
  • As far as I know bathing in the sink is still fine, just not as many people have really big sinks these days.
    Stick with the chair Lara, Millie hated hers when she was tiny but once she was a few months she used to like to sit in it while I had a shower or did a few jobs.
    xx
    xx
  • hi girls! i wish that i had known all this 7 years ago!! now, 3 kids down the line, i could go on for ever!!
    steriliser - have steam steriliser - this is fantastic
    also bought cheap kettle as you could bet i'd put it on then my chap would want a brew not long after (of course the water wasnt warm enough for him!!!)
    baby chair - i have done all sorts with mine, and usually feed them in it - Isobel is 8 months old and hasn't been in her high chair yet! none of the 3 liked it at first though!!
    electric swing- this was just about the best thing ever for me when they were small. worth every penny!
    high chair - if could have time again would only buy a basic one - i got suckered into the different height positions, adjustable backrest etc. it was also a big heavy cumbersome thing that didnt fold flat (altho boasted it did!!) Mothercares own about ??100 (is 6 years old tho so memory might not be brill)
    pram - i went for one i loved the look of - not practical at all, and learnt lesson. my hubby not happy, but got another 2nd time around. you need to check it fits in car boot, steers, weight, drops away easily etc. the one i had meant that i had to take the pram body off the wheels, put it on the floor, drop the wheels, put in car, then put pram body on top. i had a 4x4 but still couldnt get anything in the boot after that!!
    moses baskets - didnt like them anyway, so got a crib
    nappy wrapper - used first time but fell to bits half way through - now use sacks
    reusable nappies - loved these when only had one - more time to wash etc - not easy with 2, nightmare with 3 - i really dont need any more washing!!
    baby bath - waste of money - only in it a few weeks, heavy to move when full, pain to store. lay the on bottom of bath on terry towelling sling - much easier, and sling (mothercare) machine washable so goes in with white wash (or did - dont have it) now
    muslims - i found these ok in the early days, but to be honest, very rarely use them. i think i used them much more with the other 2

hope this is of help to anyone - good luck to all of you about to make those decisions!!!
  • Someone once told me that a top and tail bowl was the biggest waste of money - i don't even know what one is but now i don't want to buy one! can anyone explain?

Also, what are the purpose of muslin cloths? Is it for all sorts of things, like putting over your shoulder when winding etc, or something more specific? xxx
  • yeah, muslins are for just about mopping anything up! over shoulders for burping (usually lots cheaper than 'official' burping cloths), for use instead of a bib, nappy liners (although personally think they'd be too bulky!!)
    your friend is probably right about top & tail bowls - mine was so useless & redundant i forgot i ever had one!
  • Hey ladies,
    This may sound really silly, but being a first time mum im worrying about everything as i have no experiance. With the muslim squarea is it safe to have them under babies head at night from newborn to catch dribbles and spills etc?excellent topic, really helps xx
  • agree on excellent topic...
    maybe daft question, but where can you buy the cheapest muslims from????
  • There are fairly cheap bundles of muslins on ebay.
    xxx
  • thank you!didnt think of that!!! xxx