Forum home Babies Sleep

comtrolled crying at 15 months

Hi

can anyone tell me the best way to do contorlled crying with an older baby. When she wakes at night i go in to see her and she is standing in he cot with her arm out. should i just keep lying her down or wait fir her to lie down on her own?? i know this is a stupid question for an older baby but i've never done this and am worries i'll do it wrong and upset her more than she is during the night. Lo wakes up once during the night and i've just given her a bottle as it takes 2 mins and i'm back in bed

Replies

• hi. we do controlled crying whenever chloe plays up. im not sure if we do it the "right" way but it works for us. when she crying we go in lift her (coz as you say she standing in cot so it hard to try and settle) give her a cuddle till she is calm say night night and lie her back in cot. first time we done it it took 3hours after that it only usually takes half hour at most except if she having a bad night. its so hard to know what to do for the best isnt it.xx
  • My little boy is 15 months today and I am thinking about doing cc. He is a terrible sleeper, never ever slept through and and at the moment he wakes a minimum of 3 times every night - sometimes it can be much more. The only thing is he is going mad for his teeth at the back and although he has calpol before going to bed I think what if he is crying because he is in pain? I dont know if I am doing right for doing wrong because I rock him back to sleep if he wakes in the night - he goes to sleep on his own but its a battle and he is still breast feeding! He has a night time bottle from everyone else but wont take one of me and I am on my own most nights. I know I should be weaning him off but he gets manic for me at night if he isnt breast fed and it can calm him down so quick. I wish he would have had a dummy when he was born. In fact I think I am his dummy, he would probally sleep all night if he had my boob in his mouth! I dont know what to do
  • hi girls,i used gina fords contented litte baby book to get primrose in a routine when she was 3mnths old using the method of controlled crying is hard and you must be very strict but it does work! i addapded my routine slightly as prim got older she is 21mnths now and still sleeps frm 6.30pm till 7.30am with not a murmmer,by using this method it does mean that you can get your life back on track and have some much needind time to yourselfs but as i said it is hard at first,i have helped lots of mums with a rountine with babys ageing frm 3mnths to 2yrs and it has worked for all of them.good luck.xx
  • How long did it take, its fine putting holly down to bed (she goes at 7pm) its just this once during the night.
  • hiya,if she wakes during the night for the first few night check that shes ok and comfortable,there should be no reason for her to wake up other than she wants attention! dont speak to her just come away if she crys leave her,you have checked that shes ok so that should be enough!continue with this untill she stops waking in the night,it took me 2 weeks with prim but she was only 3mnths some mums it has took longer but i helped my sister-in-law with her son who is 23mnths and after 4 nights he slept rite thro coz he soon got board of crying and mummy wasnt having any of it,!lol,hope this helps let me no how you get on.xxx
  • hiya,if she wakes during the night for the first few night check that shes ok and comfortable,there should be no reason for her to wake up other than she wants attention! dont speak to her just come away if she crys leave her,you have checked that shes ok so that should be enough!continue with this untill she stops waking in the night,it took me 2 weeks with prim but she was only 3mnths some mums it has took longer but i helped my sister-in-law with her son who is 23mnths and after 4 nights he slept rite thro coz he soon got board of crying and mummy wasnt having any of it,!lol,hope this helps let me no how you get on.xxx
  • bloody computer!!soz.x
  • i'm def gonna give this a go. I go on holiday on monday so will prob do it when i get back. Its only once that she wakes up so i'm hoping she will grow out of it when she stops getting a bottle of milk and attention. Its my own fault for starting to give her a bottle at night. She was sleeping through 7-7 from about 16 weeks up until she was 8 months then we got into this habit of just giving her a bottle as it was quick and easy.
  • hiya,lam1,its so easy done tho whats the saying "anything for a quiet life"lol,try not to give holly a bottle and if you have to then give her water only!yes start when you get back off hols coz then you will have the time,ive done a few naughty things with prim for a quiet life as does most mothers its nothing to be ashamed of.have a fab hol and let me no how things go with holly.claudia.xxx
  • turns out i didnt have to do the controlled crying. Holly started sleeping from 7 til half 7 3 just before we went away on holiday and is still doing it (i did have to wake her early today though as we are all back at work and she had to go to nursery) hurray for a good sleep
  • ok good news then well done,hope you had a nice hol,let me no how the sleeping goes!claudia.xxx