Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Big Baby but LOTS of movement

I've been told on varios occassions that I'm having a big baby. The first time was at my 21 week scan then at every midwife appointment since.
But Ive started to notice women on here who are about at my stage are saying their babies aren't moving around as much due to a lack of room-but my lo's still managing to move around like theres no tomorrow. He manages to change position completely (he'll he head down one min, transverese the next ect.)
This doesnt seem to make much sense to me as he's apparently on the 95th percentile and measuring at least two weeks ahead-so surely he should be running out of room. Im not complaining, Im just slightly confused.
Is there a possibility that they got the measurements wrong at the scan? Just I thought the scans were pretty accurate. xxx

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/1;10051;28/st/20080729/dt/5/k/9e45/preg.png

Replies

• In truth I don't know the answer, however, I am due Saturday and my lo is still as active as ever. I have been measuring spot on the whole time. I thought the same, that it would calm down nearer to due date, but it reassures me to feel lo so I would rather feel than not!
  • My midwife said i was having a big baby, ive seen 2 other midwives as mine has been away and they have told me that im just carrying a lot of fluid. So maybe they just mistaked a big baby for a lot of fluid!x
  • The truth is they really dont know flying kiwi, at my last appointment with midwife on last pregnancy she said my baby would be about 7-8lb he was 9 and a half and I know that only a couple of pound but you know it makes a bloody big difference when your the one shoving! So i'd say they can only guess and like you mine then and now both moved alot until birth so I am assuming this one might be another 9odd pounder who knows!

Joanna 32 +2
  • I'm 30 wks but have been measuring 2 wks ahead for the last 2 mw appointments so thinking 'big baby'. My previous 2 were 8.5 lbs but I must have measured spot on as nothing was ever mentioned. Mine too moves a heck of a lot though so sounds very similar to you - I am just thinking now big and lots of movement means healthy baby. I thought it would be running out of space by now too but it hardly ever stops and seems to turn regularly too.

At least its mainly fab to feel the moving - except when your ribs ache by the end of the day! He he. Good luck anyway.

• I had a 9lb 1oz baby and I felt lots of movement. I found that the movement increased after 35 weeks rather than decreased! I think this was because I had anterior placenta, and the bigger the baby gets, the more efficient he is at kicking through the placenta. xxx
  • Thanks, I suppose at the end of the day it doesnt matter that much really-as long as he's healthy.
    I love the movements too-he doesnt seem to hurt me (he has on the odd occasion if he's kicked while im stretching or once he must have turned with his elbow out because it really hurt and I could see this little elbow move across my side) but I was so amazed by the elbow that I didnt mind the pain lol xxxxxx

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/1;10051;28/st/20080729/dt/5/k/9e45/preg.png

• LOL flyingkiwi, we saw what looked like a leg through my stomach last night, it was very long and thin and had a bobbly ancle ish bit at one end, like you I love it , its so reasurring, do you find that your movements are alot different now, mines more of a rolling sensation under the skin than actual kicks and stuff now?
  • Awww-bless, thats so sweet.
    I do find that-but I still get the kicks as well, if me or oh scratches my tummy lightly he goes mad-ill get the rolling and the kicking all over the place.
    He sometimes kicks to the beat of my heart as well-as odd as that sounds. When I do get kicks they dont tend to be the odd one anymore, its more like he's knocking or something xxxx

• Sounds like hes gonna come out fighting hehe.

Perhaps your OH should stand at the bottom of the delivery bed with a net to catch the little sucker!

Now with my pregnancy mind I am picturing your baby being scrappy doo! its true pregnant women have a corrupt train of thought!
  • lol-I can imagine that too now you've said it image Im gunna end up laughing like a complete idiot next time I get a spout of movement if oh touches me just imagining scrappy doo in there shouting ''put em up''
    Not sure if ill be able to explain that without a few dodgy looks xxxx

• Hi i'm 32+5 and im still getting lots of movements. I've no idea how big my baby will be but she is very active and like you i can feel her moving around in there. lol
  • Hiya, i'm the same really. Been told he's going to be big, 8 and a half minimum, but he still manages to be acrobatic! When I mentioned this to the midwife today she said that it's a misconception that babies run out of room and slow down, and an active baby will be active until you are actually in labour, then be still.

Confused though as the books all suggest that they do run out of room. Don't trust my midwife anyway, so now don't know what to believe! Wouldnt panic unless there is a dramatic decrease though. Glad to know i'm not the only one confused about this.

Take care all.
    xxx