Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

ovulation tests??

Hey all, need a bit of advive.....anyone use ovulation tests? how do they work? which is the best to buy? im currently breastfeeding and am wanting to ttc baby no.2 in next couple of months (well hopingimage). i have not had my cycle return so are unsure as to when i will ovulate, though it might be best to try these? any advice would be great?
caz x x

Replies

• Don't use them, but they work like a pg test. You POAS, and get a control line and another line if ov. Or others have a smiley face if you ov, nothing if no surge of LH. xx
  • thanks for your reply mithical.
    caz x x
  • Oh you also have to use them at the same time each day! xx
  • do you do them everyday then til it shows you are ovulating?
    Caz x x
  • I think they come in packs of 5 or 7 mainly, so you can test the week you are ov. You can buy more, but starts to get expensive every month, I would think! xx
  • does anyone out there use these sticks? which are the best? is the clear blue monitor any good?
    Caz x x
  • this is my first month of using them. i was told others had used clear blue with the smiley face , superdrug and boots and unitest ones from wilkinsons . wilki ones are cheap at 3.99 for 5 (someone else said tehy work - don't know yet as only started using them. where i am, superdrug have a buy 1 get 1 half price - they are ??15.99 for 5- i bought some of these as well. hoping to ov within a week so will let you know if i find any that work. i just want to use them this month to see when i ov in the cycle roughly as have recently had mc and know it can throw your cycle out. good luck
  • I bought mine over the internet, via access diagnostics. ??25 for 50 tests. I didn't have a clue about my body, so wanted to use them from the day I stopped af until I ov'd.

Like Mithical says, if you have a short LH surge (less than 24 hrs) it won't show up as a positive on the tests, so it can be frustrating and the only way round this would be test twice a day. Having said that, the tests did work sometimes for me and helped me understand my cycle, but I would advise you monitor your cm too so you can understand this too at the same time. When I got my bfp, I had 2 faint ov tests, which isn't a positive, but I figured the LH surge was going up or down, so I bd on these days.
  • hey all, bexyh thanks for that let us know how you get on with them.
    sevans i dont mean to sound dumb, but how would i monitor my cm? ive never done it before so aint got a clue? :lol:
    Caz x x
  • Hi cazzy,

I used the WIlkinsons Unitest strips and got +ve every cycle. Sevans is right to test for CM. This is a discharge that increases prior to ovulation. Fertile mucus becomes like raw eggwhite and is stretchy. You'll know it when you see it. As soon as CM increases get busy hunny!! You are most fertile immediately prior to ovulation and whilst ovulating.
    Good luck!
    xx
  • thanks MAC1 :\)
    caz x x