Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Positive HPT, success!

I know it says "for every mum & mum-to-be", but there are men who wish for nothing more than to be a parent, and it takes two if you're doing it the old fashioned way...

It's early days, and I can't really call all my friends to tell them (yet), but I'm so happy that I have to tell someone, so I signed up here!

I've always had a worry that my swimmers might not be up for it, partly because of a varicocele, and partly just common paranoia image After having been trying for a few months, we got a home fertility test, and mine showed negative. I've had another test done by our GP, and it wasn't looking good, with sperm count, motility and morphology all well below the limits for what's generally considered "fertile" (having learnt that it's not as simple as yes and no).

We started trying in January, and have had a few occasions of believing that we might have conceived (my wife's cycles have been long and irregular, having had implanon for just over two years). She's even had all the telltale signs like unusually sore breasts, occasional nausea, constipation, but no positive tests. Today, she was on day 39 into her cycle (previous was 35 days, and all negative tests), so she peed on a stick this morning, and it came out positive! But, I discovered that there was no control line, and she admitted to having dropped the stick into the bowl "a bit" image We agreed that she should pick up another test while at work, and let me know, and a short while ago I had a text saying "it's positive"...

I'm so happy, but at the same time, I'm finding it really hard to believe that we've managed, and don't think it'll fully sink in until I see the first ultrasound, or maybe at birth.. or maybe when the ungateful little brat moves out of home and I wonder where all those years went image

I can't describe how much I'm looking forward to being a father, and now just need to hold my fingers crossed for the next 8 months and a bit...

Replies

• Big congratulations to you and your wife. I wish you a happy and healthy 8 months (make sure you look after her lol cos she is going to be grumpy for at least 8 or 9 weeks now image
    xx
  • Big congratulations to you and your wife. I wish you a happy and healthy 8 months (make sure you look after her lol cos she is going to be grumpy for at least 8 or 9 weeks now image
    xx
  • congrats to you and your wife honey, well done!!
    all it takes is one healthy little swimmer!!!
    i'm sure it will all sink in fast when your comforting your wife through morning sickness and going to the ends of the earth to satisfy a craving or two!!

enjoy the next 9 mths!!!
  • Congratulations, it's lovely to hear a guy be so enthusiastic and as obsessive as we all are!
    I hope your wife and child have a healthy and ahppy pregnancy.
  • Thrilled to bits for you both! Nothing like a BFP when you think it won't happen. Wishing you all the very best. Oh and remember we are allowed to be hormonal so be prepared!!!!
  • I've been at least as obsessive as her image

I don't think I'll stop worrying quite yet though, not worried about taking care of her when she's going through morning sickness, or hunting for some obscure icecream flavour in the middle of the night (I'm mentally prepared for all of that, and if we can experience the magic of our own baby, I won't mind0, etc, but knowing that it's far from uncommon that things go wrong, especially in the early days. Having said that, if one of us is going to do the worrying, it's better that it's me than her, since at least my stress hormones won't be directly affecting the baby.

We were just about to get an appointment to discuss the next steps, and I was mentally fully prepared for both IVF and adoption, since I really hadn't expected us to conceive naturally.
  • oh congratualtions im so pleased for you, lovely to hear from a male point of veiw, good luck with the next 9 months, and be very patient LOL!!! xxxx
  • Thrilled to bits for you both! Nothing like a BFP when you think it won't happen. Wishing you all the very best. Oh and remember we are allowed to be hormonal so be prepared!!!!

Hehe, I used to live with someone who seemed to be on a permanent PMT for over 5 years, so I should be able to cope with it for 9 months, and I can always self medicate with whisky if I have to image
  • Oh congrats, it makes a change to talk to a man on here. Welcome to the site and hope your wife has a happy healthy 9 months and i'm sure she'll be looked after really well seeing your posts on here.
  • Ah, that's so lovely. Your post made me cry!
    So nice to have a mans point of view.
    Look after your wife and enjoy the next 9 months. xx
  • Hello, congratulations and welcome! We don't mind the male perspective, it makes a nice change.

There is a dad's chat, so you're not out of place! My OH is really excited about the prospect of becoming a dad. I think he is used to me, so a few more hormones won't make a difference! All I need to do now is actually get pg!

Hope you will stick around on the site. I'm sure you will find a lot of support and advice, if needed. xx
  • Congratualtions its so great to see such an enthusiastic dad to be!!!!!! Enjoy the preganancy its a lovely experience!!!!

Have a h&h 9 months.
    xxxxxxxxxx
  • Aw what a lovely story, congratulations to both you and your wife.

There are lots of lovely ladies on here who can give you help and advice so make sure you pop in to some of the other forums too.

xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/sPnXp1/.png

• Hi and welcome! Congratulations on bfp! enjoy the next 8mths, and prepare to pamper! x
  • Ahh it is so wonderful to hear this good news from a the dad to beimage I am so very pleased for you both and here is to a wonderful 9 months image

K xx
  • Firstly congratulations to you & your wife & hope she has a healthy & happy pregnancy.

Like the others say its great to hear a mans point of view on the trials & tribulations of ttc & a success story at that. xx
  • Congratulations!! Sorry to echo the others but I agree its nice to have a male perspective. Hope you both have an enjoyable healthy pregnancy.xx
  • Many congrats image You sound over the moon, and i bet you will both make wonderful parents image

Hope all goes well over the next 8 or so months, for you, your wife and the bump image
  • Lots of congratulations to you and your wife. I'll echo the other girlies, it's so nice to have a man on here! we can rant to you about oh and what pains they are!
    In all seriousness - both of you - try to relax, enjoy the pregnancy and the time that you have together before the bundle of joy arrives xx
  • hello and congratulations i hope everything goes alright for you over the next months it nice to hear from a male on here!!!!

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev005pf___.png