Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Anyone else using their pet as a child substitute?

Nearly died this weekend when my mum heard me call my cat 'little baby', and pointed out she's a cat not a person! So embarrassing.

Anyone else being caught out for treating their pet like the baby they want?

Replies

• ha ha yes, I sit my dog on my knee and give it a cuddle and I find myself patting it like I'm winding a baby!! I also bought a father's day card for my oh from the dogs!! I need to get a life!
  • Lucille - that is hilarious!

I talk to the cat as I carry her round the house, just like she was a baby. Although god forbid I should ever have such a hairy child!
  • I have two dogs and caught myself saying let go and see nanny yesterday when we was going out to see mother in law.. oh looked at me and laughed but then he calls me mummy and i call him daddy to the dogs so think we are both as bad as each other.
  • Having just said to my cat "Is it time for your nap?" I realise I need to get a grip!
  • I am sooo like this i have 4 yes 4 hamsters and also 4 Giant Land African Snails and I always end up saying whats daddy done, he has not given you enough food, all while i am saying it in a baby voice!!!

K xx

http://tt.lilypie.com/ynXxp1/.png

• I think my OH would go mad if I called him the cat's daddy, but I can already see that when we have a baby, we'll be fighting over which one of us should be cuddling it! At the moment, we both try to entice the cat onto our laps, and it'll only get worse with a baby!

Or maybe better - that way, one can cuddle the cat, and the other one the baby. Then swap.
  • My OH's mum does ask us how the babies are, when she rings! I do refer to us as mummy and daddy too! At the end of the day, they need us to feed them etc, so they are my babies!

Wondering about the jealousy when I actually have a child though! lol
  • I already know my cat HATES children (she's a rescue cat) and she has been seen to hiss at them through the window, so I imagine she'll loathe any baby!

But did someone on here reckon their cat had 'diagnosed' their pregnancy?
  • Yeah Joo. The cat kept jumping up and pawing her stomach. Like they do before they settle lying down! xx
  • my cat stared and stared at my friends tummy when she was only early days preg. it was freaky so they do know!! my cats are 'my girls' and we are mummy and daddy! very protective of my furry babies!
  • i am pleased i am not alone. All my animals are my babies and my dh got a card and a present from them yesterday. We even call my mum & dad and mil and dil grandad and grandma!!!!! Mine aren't just cats and dogs but horses, pigs, sheep, chickens, fish, dogs omg i am sad!
  • Oh, I wonder how many other pets can spot pregnancy?

I'm going to ask my cat after I ov, if its worked!
  • Yep - my cat is my baby. My mum rings up and asks how the baby is doing and she means the cat!! My cat likes being carried like a baby and when she wants feeding she cries and cries like a baby too so she fits the part quite well!
  • I'm with you all here! We have a rescue dog and if he's been naughty my DH says 'Go and see your mother' it's so funny. My mum is also Grandma to him and he goes on his holidays to my mum's too!! She asks for him cos she wants to look after him!!

I also get incredibly proud when anyone says he's a good looking dog or if he learns something new. He's a definite mummy's boy though (OMG I am mad!) cos he always curls up with me and DH gets jealous!!

xxx
  • natw28 what a beautiful staffy! we have a staff, got him at 7 wks and when he was crying at night and we brought him in the bedroom, he looked so little and helpless i thought this is kinda how it will be with a baby! i also found myself carrying and cuddleing him as if he were a baby and caught big macho oh doing exactly the same! now he's 14 months i can't do that he won't sit still for long enough! we also have a rescue black lab, i am always calling them my baby boys! and yes we do refer to each other as their mum and dad! lol xxxx :lol:
  • We're clearly all nurturing souls at heart!

I have just checked on my furry baby, who is still asleep. I don't reckon any baby could sleep as much as she can.

• I talk to the cat as I carry her round the house, just like she was a baby. Although god forbid I should ever have such a hairy child!

My lo was!!!!(she was 8 weeks early and had a hairy face!!!LOL-luckily its now gone!!!

My cat knew when I was pg with her and was very attentive this cycle but af came on friday, although shes gone now but I dont think I can justify wasting a test cos my cat wont leave me alone!

My cats are also my babies and always came first before lo was born, but now come second. They love it when I'm about but shes out or when shes gone to bed and they get me to themselves-both sat next to me now but it may be the heat fro the laptop that they like not me!!!!!!!!!!!xxx
  • hjanea - that really made me giggle. I hope your lo didn't have whiskers too?!

And i know what you mean about them being attracted to the heat from the laptop. My cat is hard to keep away and she does like to type when my back is turned.

Interesting that another person's pet could tell they were pg though...
  • hjanea - that really made me giggle. I hope your lo didn't have whiskers too?!

And i know what you mean about them being attracted to the heat from the laptop. My cat is hard to keep away and she does like to type when my back is turned.

Interesting that another person's pet could tell they were pg though...
  • I know that one of mine knew before I did with lo-I couldnt understand why he wouldnt leave me alone as she was an accident and I was 5 weeks when I found out. Perhaps his nose has gone now as hes quite old!!