Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Hysterosalpingogram (HSG)? - UPDATE

Hi Ladies

I have got my next Tuesday (CD9).

Anyone else had one or know someone who has had one and got pregnant on the same cycle.

Thanks
Sarah

[Modified by: MrsWard on 13 June 2008 09:54:24 ]

[Modified by: MrsWard on 18 June 2008 14:23:31 ]

Replies

• Hi Mrs W
    I have to book in for mine, can't at the mo as have had surgery recently.
    However looking at my notes for the procedure I have to take metronidazole (antibiotic) ask it it is ok to TTC with this. Pretty sure you can't take metronidazole if you are PG.

Hope it goes well for you

Take care
    J J
  • Hello mrs ward, i was wondering how you were hun! I dont know what your having done but i hope it all goes well for you! xxxx
  • Hi Debbiemc
    Not been on here for a while, too stressy and obsessive.

Saw the consultant on 30th May, and am having my HSG on Tuesday, really impressed with the NHS, as thought I would have to wait a while for this to happen. Have also got my ultrasound on Wednesday, so hopefully we can bd afterwards to see if we are in with a chance of getting a BFP this month. Apparently the HSG can help with fertility for 4 months afterwards, but I was hoping we could do it this month.

How have you been doing? What month of ttc are you on now!

FAO J-Jenko, you can't have a HSG if you are pregnant, as it can cause miscarriage which is why the HSG is done between day 5 - 10 of cycle, so no risk of being pregnant!
  • wasn't clear with what I meant. Some antibiotics are not recommended for TTC as well ie depending on how you have to take the antibiotics after the HSG as they take 2 days to be eliminated from the body
  • J-Jenko I now understand your post. I will ask if we can ttc straight away!

• I hope you can. My notes are at home so I can't remember if the antibotics are just one day or a whole course.
    Good luck for tuesday - think mine will be next month
  • The antibiotics are 1 day, there is 1 supositary and 2 tablets, plus you need to take 2 nurofen to ease the pain, so should be able to ttc straight away. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow.
  • Hi mrs ward, I know what you mean, ttc is very stressful and sometimes coming on here makes things worse! Im good thank you, im on cd8 and im gonna start ovk from tomorrow so hopefully ill get my bfp this month!! This is our 5th month although it feels longer. lol. I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow and im sure your bfp is just around the corner. Good luck hun xxxx
  • Hi Debbiemc,
    Thanks for your message
    Good luck to you as well, hope you get there soon. (maybe at the same time).
    xx

• Hi Debbiemc,
    Thanks for your message
    xx

• Hi Debbiemc,
    Thanks for your message
    xx

• Well ladies, I had my HSG yesterday and just so you know if any of you have had a fallopian tube removed be warned that this procedure will be more painful. This is what they told me before they did the HSG on me yesterday. They were not wrong!!

I am now aware that my left tube did not run as it should when the liquid passes through, it just dripped. Not sure what this means, but we will bd this month, and we have been told to do this 3-4 times a week, and see what happens. Fingers crossed all will be ok.

I also went for my Ultrasound today, and my ovaries look fine and healthy, which I can only take as a good sign, so fingers crossed I get my BFP soon.

• hi MrsWard - I have the same problem with my left tube! had a lap and dye last Thurs which shows this - like you I'm not really sure what this means as I didnt see the consultant afterwards...just one of his assistants who seemed to be in a rush! ...so, we're seeing him on 21 July (to give OH SA results time to arrive) fingers crossed for us both! would be good to hear anything you find out about your left tube and chances of TTC! xxx
  • Our next appt with the consultant is not for another 7 months in Jan. But I am waiting for the consultants PA to call me later on today, with an outcome, in case we need to meet with her before then.

What area are you in?
  • ...we're in Yorkshire - hope the outcome is a positive one for you xx
  • We are in Surrey, fingers crossed we both get our BFP's soon.
    xxx
  • Hi mrs ward, im so glad that the procedure went well and that its all over now! Lets hope that you will get your bfp very soon, fingers crossed hun xxx
  • Sorry to bump this back up to the top but we have just got back for the gynea and he has suggested that we i have an HSG. i am really worried about it as i am a wimp and cna not deal with pain. can someonme be so kind as to explain to me what happens and the pain involved.

nat
  • Hi Nat

My HSG was painful and they explained that it would be more than most as I only have 1 tube. My husband was waiting outside the room and heard me screaming (sorry to put you off! - I had to ask the doctor performing the procedure if they had put enough liquid in as I was in loads of pain).
    They open you up as they would for a smear and then they inject a gel liquid into you, so that they can see if there are any blockages etc. They take X-rays of you and these can be seen by the doctor performing the procedure.

I had period pain type pains for the rest of the day (my appt was at 10.30am) and I had already booked the day off work.

I hope this doesn't put you off. We are still waiting the results, which hopefully I will get tomorrow.
  • Hi Nat

My HSG was painful and they explained that it would be more than most as I only have 1 tube. My husband was waiting outside the room and heard me screaming (sorry to put you off! - I had to ask the doctor performing the procedure if they had put enough liquid in as I was in loads of pain).
    They open you up as they would for a smear and then they inject a gel liquid into you, so that they can see if there are any blockages etc. They take X-rays of you and these can be seen by the doctor performing the procedure.

I had period pain type pains for the rest of the day (my appt was at 10.30am) and I had already booked the day off work.

I hope this doesn't put you off. We are still waiting the results, which hopefully I will get tomorrow.