Forum home Babies Baby

Rouitine advise!

Morning Girlies!

For about a month now ive been trying to perfect harris routine and im finding i really difficult! It was...
7;30-breakfast
10;30 bottle
1200 lunch
3pm bottle
5-6 dinner
8pm bottle
10:30 bed feed with good night milk
the problem with this is that he dosnt alway want his 3 or 8 pm bottle feeds and im worried im not gettin enough milk down him even tho he is having 3 meals a day. Harri has always been a nightmare with his milk (reflux ect) so the most i can get down him is 3 bottles a day
I was thinking of changing it to....
7;30-bottle
8;30 breakfast
1200 lunch
4pm bottle (so he that little bit hungrier)
5-6 dinner
offer small bottle at 8pm (prob wont take it)
10;30-bed time feed with good night milk
eventually the 8pm will be bed feed as im just about to start bring bed time forward by a bit each week.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated as im desperate o find a routine that works and stick to it.
Thanks ladies!
xxx

Replies

• Hi
    How old is your lo? Jack is 6 month now and on 3 meals a day. Hes now drooped 2 of his bottles by himself as he just didnt want them. Im sure if they are on 3 meals they only need 500-600ml of milk.
    Jacks routine goes like this
    530am 6oz milk
    9am cereal mixed with 3oz formula rather than water
    1230pm fruit puree
    Make 5oz bottle and try to get him to drink throughout afternoon
    4pm tea (meat veg pasta and yoghurt)
    7pm 4-7oz milk
    Hope this helps xxx
  • he is 6 months in a few days, sorry should of mentioned that! loolxxx
  • Hey sunnymum. Once Harri turns 6 months you can bulk up his milk allowance by using whole (blue top) milk when cooking his meals. Things like cauliflower cheese (blended 'til smooth) or a really simple fish pie (again blended) will help to increase his milk intake. If he enjoys yoghurts then one of those for pudding is good too.
    Try not to focus on one day at a time, try to look at what he's eating/drinking over a week to give you an idea of whether he's having a balanced diet xx
  • The thing is he doesnt keep yogurts down well coz of reflux, mind you i havnt tried them again for a month or so, so maybe ill give it another go. thanks! xx
  • Morgana is nearly 9 months old, herroutine hasn't changed much since she was 6 months old apart from me dropping one of her bottle feeds as she wasn't taking it and is as follows:

7am Breakfast (Porridge with normal milk)
    10am 7oz of milk (she usually has about 4-5oz of that)
    12noon Lunch + fruit pot
    3pm 7oz of milk (she usually has about 4oz of that)
    5pm dinner + yoghurt
    7pm 7oz of milk (she takes anything from none to the full bottle).

She can be awkward taking her milk feeds now so I supplement her by adding milk and cheese to her meals and giving her yoghurt. I spoke to the HV about her not taking the recommended amount (500ml a day), but she said its fine as long as they are putting on weight ok and you add milk/cheese/yoghurts to their diet.
  • Morighan - I might nick your routine for when my lo on solids. It looks very good! Plus my lo fussy about milk already so would suit her too.
  • this is very similar to harri rotine that i have just stopped i just found that he wasnt hungry enough alot of the time. Do you think i should let him graze on a bottle in bettween meals. I know its probably daft but if i deviate from the routine i feel out of control and that thing arnt going right! isnt that stupid! xxx
  • I'm a routine queen too sunnymum so I know how you feel.
    Maybe just letting him have the milk at his own pace between meals is a good idea. I spoke to my hv yesterday about my lo not having much milk and she said the worst thing you can do is try to force them as that can sometimes cause fussy eating later on. She just said try a few times and if she's not interested then leave it until the next one but I'm not sure if that would apply to you as Harri on less milk now anyway.
  • I'm a routine queen too sunnymum so I know how you feel.
    Maybe just letting him have the milk at his own pace between meals is a good idea. I spoke to my hv yesterday about my lo not having much milk and she said the worst thing you can do is try to force them as that can sometimes cause fussy eating later on. She just said try a few times and if she's not interested then leave it until the next one but I'm not sure if that would apply to you as Harri on less milk now anyway.
  • maybe i need to chill out a bit maaaan! lol
  • well that was succesfull ,,,,NOT! he woudlnt take his 4pm feed even tho he hadnt eaten since 12. i just dunno what to doa anymore, ive had enough, im sick of trying my hardest and failing all the time! no wonder hes so bloody skinny when i cant get him to take his milk! im out of ideas now!.........
  • hi sunnymum. evie has dropped loads of milk since being on 3meals a day. i think she's gone from approx 30oz to just 20oz, something like that, and it still differs frm day to day but i dont worry as i know if she wants it she will drink it. i try to get milk into her diet in other ways though, i make up her baby porridge with 2oz of formula milk, and i also use full fat milk when cooking pretty much anything else, i always just pour in a slosh of it when blending it up just to make sure she is getting calcium and iron. ive also moved onto follow on milk as that has increased iron in it for babies who drink less. if you've not done this perhaps it's worth doing? i dont think there is anything wrong with your routine though, either way you did it would be ok, your LO will let you know when he is hungry or thirsty etc and i wouldnt get in too much of a flap about his milk consumption as long as he's putting on weight and healthy. xxx
  • Thanks Linzi! I will get some when he finishes this tub. ive decided from now on he will have his usual 3 meals a day and i will offer him milk in between but if he wants it he wants it, and if he doesnt he doesnt, as long as he takes his good night milk coz that one is crucial! I will try him on petit filous again to see if he is any better at keeping it down. is he allowed cows milk yet? he is 6 months.xxx
  • Kara is 9 months and I had to drop one of her milk feeds last month as she wasn't taken them. I just include the milk in her cereal and also through yoghurts. Her routine is roughly the following although the times are not always exact as I am not strict but they are roundabout these times.

7am - 7oz bottle (does not always finish it)
    9.30 - Breakfast (wheetabix or readybrek)
    12.30 - Lunch with a yoghurt
    3pm - pureed fruit (This was instead of the milk feed)
    6pm - Dinner
    7.30 - 7oz bottle (does not always finish it)
    7.45 - bed

Kara has been on this routine for a while and I find it ok to stick too. Kara doesn't get a dream feed at 10.30 and didn't really either when she was smaller. She sleeps from 8pm to 6.30am in the morning.
  • from 6months they can have cows milk mixed in with meals but i dont think they can have it just from a bottle/beaker on its own (feel free to correct me anybody if ive gotten that wrong). does he like fruit purees? i buy natural greek yoghurt or natural fromage frais (the plain stuff... not sugar no flavourings or anything) and mix that with evie's fruit purees. i guess its kinda like a baby version of a muller corner yogurt!! she loves it and that gets calcium and iron etc into her without all the sugar that petit filous has xxx
  • brookes routine never really changed. when she was having lucnch and dinner i dropped her milk feeds.. started with nor giving her milk at 4 then after a month stopped it at 12.. i think trying to give them solids and then milk is too much. just offer juice or water with meals..
    brooke has
    5oz milk and cereal at 8am
    lunch at 12
    tea at 5
    9oz milk at 7 for bed
    i would try not giving him milk thats how we cut out brookes she just wouldnt drink it so i stopped making it and she wernt fussed.. xxx
  • Elliott is now 9 months and I am still brest feeding him but if I am not at work in the morning he has a feed when he wakes but does not miss it if I am at work then has breakfast lunch at 8 lunch at 12 and tea at 5 and snacks inbetween and juice drinks then has a breast feed before bed at 6.30pm. I do give him a breast feed during the day if he wants it but he only has a bottle before bed of expressed milk when I am working. He has fromage frais and full fat milk in his meals but is growing well so I am sure its not necassary for them to have all the milk they say they need. When I went back to work after having my daughter she would not take bottles at all and my hv said not to worry as long as they have yoghurts during the day and cheese or milk in their meals it would be ok and she is well grown so I would chill out abit with the milk if they wanted it they would take it x