Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

The things you didn't consider before having children

Hi there,

My partner and I have decided that now is the time to strat trying for a baby - we have put it off for a little while.

Anyhow, being a bit boring we are literally going to sit down with a list of things to think about. I know there is the usual things like finance accomodation lifestyle changes 3 o'clock feeds teenage heartbreak terrible twosomes but what are those little things that you didnt think off?

Eg - 9am and 3pm being at school gates,
a two second job taking half an hour,
not being able to just jump in the car and go,
not being able to watch eastenders in peace:roll:
nits
drawing on the walls

As I am in a baby mood i cant really think of these litttle things Please feel free to give me some more ideas and some food for thought - we just want to make sure that we have considered the little not quite as serious things but things that do happen.

Replies

• Breastfeeding? That might be something to think about, although they say breast is best you have to consider the fact that the baby needs very quick and easy access to you at all times whilst you are breastfeeding all the time, and you can't share the feeding. Personally I would like to try breastfeeding if I ever get round to having a baby but also understand that some mums don't want to. Good luck with TTC x
  • Hi,

Yes I def want to try breastfeeding for the bonding and isn't that what boobies are really for (not against not bf incase anyone has taken offence!) on the topic of the little things that you may not think of then there is the leaky boob issue he he
  • Sarahlou the nits bit is hilarious!! LOL!! I have a four yo daughter and she got nits and it was a right nightmare- she even gave them to me ahhhh!!

Another one is that every time we sit down to our tea my dd decides its time to move her bowels- no matter if its 5pm or 7pm. She just goes upstairs uses the loo and hollers down- mummy clean my bum. Great when you have guests ha

Also how embarrassing they can be in public my dd went through a phase of pointing at ppl and making comments like 'shes got a baby in her tummy just like you mummy' if she saw an overweight woman.

The joys.

Last week I lifted Lily from school and went to the chemist to buy some bits, I was about to pay when I realised I had a few spots of rusk and baby milk on my top- HOW EMBARRASING..

We call our eldest two walking condoms lol coz there aint no bd ing when ther hanging about!!!
  • Ha ha. yes its the things like loo trips that we haven't thought off. Hilarious!

What is bd'ing i've noticed that a lot of people say it
  • That's baby dancing hun, having sex. xx
  • total lack of privacy when going to the loo, they scream outside if you lock the door or barge in if you dont!

Having to use Matey when you have a bath as you just KNOW you are going to end up sharing it, and Radox is not kind to little eyes.

That you will wear a trench in the carpet as you desperately try and soothe a coliky lo.

How you get immune to your lo's stinky poo's, but heave when your mates lo fills its nappy

That getting toast/biscuits/toys out of the vcr/dvd player will become a regular occurence

That the naughty step will develop a little bum-shaped imprint

How facinating it is to shove a whole roll of paper down the loo

you will go around singing the songs from 'Dora the Explorer' and will know ALL the words

• Brilliant. This thread had bought a smile to me face! x
  • You will rival any town information dept with your knowledge of which shops/cafe's/supermarkets have baby changing/feeding facilities

shops which dont have automatic doors, or which have narrow isles, sweets by the tills or strategically placed displays of fragile items will NOT receive YOUR custom!

All your good intentions to not give YOUR toddler sweets or crisps will disapear as you struggle to pay for/pack your shopping with a screaming baby in one arm and a tantrum throwing demon on the floor by your feet!

Just how much snot can come out of such a tiny nose?

That a sloppy, jammy kiss could would be the best kiss you ever had! ;\)

• That continuously explosive nappy.

It starts with a smell - you go to change their bum.... and its all up their back, all down their legs, leaking out of the bottom of the baby grow... you just manage to get them cleaned up ready for fresh clothes and off it goes again - on your nice clean towel........... :lol:

having to do three extra loads of washing a week

having to make batches of food up during the weaning process

Interfering grandparents!!!!!!!!!!!

Having to redcorate because your lo has decided it needs doing (can you tell what ollie does? )

the ever endless question - where do we put all this stuff (because as much room as you think you have people will always fill it with toys and clothes and books (sorry SB! :lol: ))

The special milky smile they give you once they've finished feeding

the first time they bump their heads and nobody but mummy will do for a hug

When your lo learns the word "WHY?"

The list is endless....

xxxx
  • ooh where to start...

* your brand new Marc Jacobs handbag no longer has lip gloss, a mirrorr and a brush in it but a leaky beaker, baby wipes/nappies and baby snacks.

* freezer is full of baby food rather than ice cream

* you cant just nip to the shop/town its a misson and you always forget something. long haul holidays weekends away with b'friend are no longer spontaneous

* all those gorgeous baby clothes end up with orange stains on them and your baby looks like he's escaped from borstal

* everyone has an opinion on everything to do with YOUR baby even before baby arrives

* you'll find yourself saying 'No, dont touch the DVDs, CDs, TV, makeup, hair straighteners' but they'll do it anyway.

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy having a baby is fab go for it lol!!! Seriously it is fun but effing tough and tiring, and nothing will prepare you for how having a baby effects your relationship with b'friend/husband sometimes its great and other times you want to him tem over the head with a frying pan :lol: xxx
  • ooh where to start...

* your brand new Marc Jacobs handbag no longer has lip gloss, a mirrorr and a brush in it but a leaky beaker, baby wipes/nappies and baby snacks.

* freezer is full of baby food rather than ice cream

* you cant just nip to the shop/town its a misson and you always forget something. long haul holidays weekends away with b'friend are no longer spontaneous

* all those gorgeous baby clothes end up with orange stains on them and your baby looks like he's escaped from borstal

* everyone has an opinion on everything to do with YOUR baby even before baby arrives

* you'll find yourself saying 'No, dont touch the DVDs, CDs, TV, makeup, hair straighteners' but they'll do it anyway.

Anywayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy having a baby is fab go for it lol!!! Seriously it is fun but effing tough and tiring, and nothing will prepare you for how having a baby effects your relationship with b'friend/husband sometimes its great and other times you want to him tem over the head with a frying pan :lol: xxx
  • Potty Training!!!!! that has got to be the worst of all especially when it tends to be happening at the same time as the terrible twos!!!!

There is no such thing as privacy anymore. Bath, toilet, they are with you at all times!!!

On a positive though Amys 2 & loves Eastenders!!!! Even Zara perks up when she hears the theme tune!!!! lol

Oh & I agree with Vicki, handbags tend to turn into nappybags too & on the rare occassion you do get to a shop yourself you are trying to get your purse out & a nappy usually falls out in the process!!!
  • Yes Hilary I had that yesterday- nappy fell out and organix crunchy carrot sticks all over the floor in topshop just as i was handing over my CV...good times!

SB so true...except I was trying so hard not to turn into my mum im turning into my dad we say excatly the same things and sing the same rhymes to joshua and play with him in the same manner its so scary!!! x
  • LOL!!!! So glad its not just me then!!!

My biggest worry is what they are going to come out with next once they start talking. We were in town once & Amy announced at the top of her voice that that lady has a big bum like nana!!!!! I wanted the ground to open!!

Another thing is that you'll know where every baby changing room is & where every toilet is anywhere you go & if you go somewhere new you'll not settle til you find these things out.

You'll start judging shops by how pram friendly they are too & get extremely p****d off when anyone without a small child parks in the parent spaces at the supermarket.

Every outing takes planning with military precision incase you forget something or, god forbid, miss your slot!!!!!
  • Oh & another thing.. you'll cringe when the cushions you used to fluff up & place on your sofas with perfection are laid out all over the floor so as a toddler can play bouncy castles!!!!!!!

& your living room gets taken over by soo many toys that it starts to look more like a toy shop than a living room!!!