Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Any advice on how often please?

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the site and have managed to read the abbreviations thread (can't promise to be able to use them yet tho!)

I stopped taking the pill in May and we're on our first month of ttc. We've got a tester that tells us when I am high/peak fertility etc but was wondering how often people are generally bd'ing around this time? This month we managed 9 times in 11 days but not sure I can keep up with that every month!

We've still got our fingers crossed for this month but it looks unlikely as I took a test on Mon which was BFN. Any advice would be much appreciated xxx

Replies

• 9 days in 11 is good going, so keep at it. I would bd at least every day over your peak fertility days and the legs up in the air.

What cycle day (cd) are you on?
  • I'm on CD34 but still not sure of my natural cycle yet. I had really bad pains on Saturday (CD30) but no other symptoms. The machine is telling me af was due on Monday and sure enough it looked like she'd arrived but very little since then (tmi).

I know the chances this month are so low but just can't help hoping xxx
  • Hi Fazza, welcome to the site. Sorry to ask, but was it brown or red blood on Monday?

Your cycles are likely to be a bit irregular, as the pill has that annoying effect for some! Ladies have conceived in their first month off pill, some without having a natural bleed at all. So don't give up yet!

As for bd'ing, every other day is enough, as the sperm need time to regenerate. Plus they can stay in our bodies for up to 5 days, if they make it past the cervix. The egg however only has a 24 hour window. Maybe a happy medium of 2 days bd, one not etc? It's personal choice in the end, have heard of bfp's with every day and every other day! xx
  • Hi mithical,

It was very light pink and then very light brown since (sorry!) and only on the paper. Trying not to get too excited but then feel like we're wishig our lives away waiting to do the next test!

I was worried about the sperm count as I've heard the more often the less effective. Thanks for the advice. Think we will try 2 days bd and one not and timing it so defo 2 days on 2 peak days.

Where are you up to? How long have you been trying for?
    xxx
  • I have heard that implantation bleeding can give the brown blood - and usually very little. I don't want to get your hopes up though but it is possible! My 1st cycle was 40 days and I had AF type pains from about 2wks before on and off!! As we say - it isn't over until the witch shows up!! Good luck and sending you lots of babydust xx I agree with the very other day probably being enough tho!
  • Hi hun,

I wouldn't call that an af! CD 1 is the first day of red blood. If red doesn't turn up, I'd test again!

I think there is only a problem with timing of bd'ing if OH has a low sperm count.

I came off the pill end of March, so this is 3rd month ttc. I am on CD 29, 13 dpo and will be testing on Friday morning!!! As long as af doesn't show her ugly head. My shortest cycle was 30 days, so have worked out luteal phase as 15 days. So have hopefully given myself enough time for a bfp to show.

My PMA is up and down! I have had a new symptom this month, my boobs hurt...a lot! So hoping that is a good sign! xx
  • Hi hun,

I wouldn't call that an af! CD 1 is the first day of red blood. If red doesn't turn up, I'd test again!

I think there is only a problem with timing of bd'ing if OH has a low sperm count.

I came off the pill end of March, so this is 3rd month ttc. I am on CD 29, 13 dpo and will be testing on Friday morning!!! As long as af doesn't show her ugly head. My shortest cycle was 30 days, so have worked out luteal phase as 15 days. So have hopefully given myself enough time for a bfp to show.

My PMA is up and down! I have had a new symptom this month, my boobs hurt...a lot! So hoping that is a good sign! xx

Boobs hurting is a very positive sign hun, fingers crossed for you! Good luck for Friday!

Bx
  • I'm going to try to wait until Saturday and if no show I'll test again! It's so exciting but then very disappointing at the same time. I guess it's the first real thing that you just can't plan!

Good luck for friday. Got everything crossed for you. Let us know how you get on. From what I've read up on so far signs look good xxx
  • I'm going to try to wait until Saturday and if no show I'll test again! It's so exciting but then very disappointing at the same time. I guess it's the first real thing that you just can't plan!

Good luck for friday. Got everything crossed for you. Let us know how you get on. From what I've read up on so far signs look good xxx

Hi Fazza

Not really sure how often you should do it as I've heard both everyday and every other day is good enough, but I'm only new to this TTC stuff myself so not really got any experience to share!

Hope you get one of those elusive BFP's very soon hun, the waiting and not knowing is the worse bit I think!

Bx