Forum home General Chat General chat

IUD (mirena coil)

i'm crap at taking the pill so was wondering about the coil, what have your experiences been?
also worried it will hurt when they take it out!!

Replies

• Hi. Most people vary so dont worry about my comments too much... but I HATED it. I bled twice a month, felt tender and developed a womb infection where I looke green in the face through sickness. I had it removed at 7 months cos I couldnt stand it any longer. Actually I didnt feel a thing when it was removed, its really tiny. I've heard other people swear by the coil tho so I'm sure you'll get some positive opinions too.
  • Personally I have never had the coil. But most people I no who have had the coil say its not a pleasent experence having it fitted but its not painful. The 1st couple of months of having it fitted can make you feel a little poo, periods can be mess around and the same with your moods but once they are over they stage they swear by it. Having it removed they say is not as bad as having it fitted. Really thinking of having the coil fitted after I have had my baby. Hope this helps.
  • Hi

Have had the mirena coil in twice, for a total of 7 years and it took a few months for my periods to regulate themselves, then basically I hardly bled at all every month! To the point where I used mini tampax but most panty liners! I also had a copper coil after my daughter was born 13 yrs ago and that was a complete nightmare and would never recommend that...I bled so badly every month it was awful...I flooded at night and would always have to wear a tampax and a pad during the day...

I will definitely be having a mirena back in at my 6 week check (was going to try for 4th baby but think I will play safe for a while!!!) and yes it is uncomfortable for a few seconds, it doesn't really hurt! I took my baby with me, had some ibuprofen before I went and breathed through the insertion...having my belly button pierced was far worse!!!

Taking them out is very easy and I found the most uncomfortable bit was the speculum being shoved inside me by a horrible female doctor!!

Hope that helps. xxx
  • I am also seriously thinking about having the marina coil after I have had this wee one, I was on the mini pill and fell pregnant whilst on that and feel that the marina coil is the best option for me. I will probably give it a try. xx
  • I had the mirena coil fitted april last year and it was uncomfortable but not painful. for the 1st few months i bled more than usual but then after that i had a regular 2day period that was really light.

But in July this year I had a scan to see what was wrong with me because i became very irregular with period and had a lot of discharge and some abdominal pain. It showed that i have two ovarian cysts about 3-4cm.

Went to doctors TODAY & she removed my coil, I felt a little pull & discomfort but it was ok.
    She said my cysts may be due to the coil producing extra progesterone and now that its out they may go down or dissapear so ill be having another scan soon to have them checked.

My ovarian cysts are not a worry and i can have another baby with them there or i can have a simple procedure to have them removed.

Basically I had it in for just over a year before it gave me hassle and it was a really good form of contraception and not all women have bad experiences, but i think you have to bear in mind that the coil may not suit you.

Hope that helps xx

• Hi, i had mirena fitted after birth of 2nd baby.

Insertion wasn't painful at all but afterwards i felt ill and couldn't drive home for a couple of hours. Good thing i'd left baby with my mum.

I had mirena removed after 3 months of almost constant bleeding, it just didn't agree with me.

Removal was fine, doctor said "cough" and pulled it out, lol.

Hope you have better results.

Shell.
  • i had the mirena coil in for 3 years before I had my first and couldnt sing it's praises enough. OK so it hurt like hell to be put in (apparently, it does when you havent had a baby and i should have been given painkillers!) and it took 3 months to bed in (with some mild abdominal pains). However, I then went on to 3 years without a period!! Brilliant. I had it taken out shortly before trying for my little one and that wasnt too bad either
    Just two words of warning. Dont go anywhere/book day off work the day you have it inserted. Secondly, due to the regulation of your hormones, I didnt have mood swings at all, a bonus for some but my husband would say I was an emotional plateau!
  • Hi

Have had the mirena coil in twice, for a total of 7 years and it took a few months for my periods to regulate themselves, then basically I hardly bled at all every month! To the point where I used mini tampax but most panty liners! I also had a copper coil after my daughter was born 13 yrs ago and that was a complete nightmare and would never recommend that...I bled so badly every month it was awful...I flooded at night and would always have to wear a tampax and a pad during the day...

I will definitely be having a mirena back in at my 6 week check (was going to try for 4th baby but think I will play safe for a while!!!) and yes it is uncomfortable for a few seconds, it doesn't really hurt! I took my baby with me, had some ibuprofen before I went and breathed through the insertion...having my belly button pierced was far worse!!!

Taking them out is very easy and I found the most uncomfortable bit was the speculum being shoved inside me by a horrible female doctor!!

Hope that helps. xxx

I am hoping, having just found this forum, that someone can offer me advice.

Like *Carolyn* I also had a very successful time with the mirena coil and had another fitted after the birth of my twins - I have since read a lot of negative feed back and wondered if people that have in the past had success with this method of contraception, have found it not so good a second or third time round. :\?
  • Hi, can anyone give me any advice please, I have new coil and had it for around 5 months. I bleed after sex and get swollen and sore.. I suffer from thrush and bv.. I also feel like on the inside on my left it is a little uncomfortable Not painful! I get discharge 2! I have been to the doctors and they took swobs for thrush ect and all come back clear.. It's driving me crazy now :(. I Nevwe had these issues till I had this fitted.. I suffered from thrush but not as much as I do now! Please can anyone give me any advice.. Has this happened to anyone else! X

• Hi, I’m 5 days into my Mirena coil, had some spotting and bloating which is fine, but the past 2 mornings I’ve been crippled by migraines. I’m wondering if this is just a sign of my body adjusting, did anyone else experience something similar? Or should I be worried that now they’ve started they won’t go away?