Forum home Babies Baby

Body temperature?

This may win the "award" for daftest question but...

What's the normal boundaries for baby's temp? What's high and what's very high?

Had a really rough night with Spencer, he was sick everywhere and burning-up. Took his temp (under-arm cos he wouldn't have themometer in his mouth) and it was 38.4. Gave him some Calpol and undid his babygro and he cooled down. He's not been sick today but he still feels quite warm, haven't taken his temp cos I don't know what's right and what's not.

Any answers would be very appreciated
Liz x

Replies

• A normal temp reading is about 36.6 I think.
    Anything 1 degree above this is a mild rise but anything above 38 degress would be classed as a fever so your lo def has that.
    I would take his temp again straight away and if it hasn't gone below 38 ring your doc or NHS Direct just to be sure.

I'm sure he'll be fine......judging by some of the posts on here there seems to be a few bugs going around xxx

[Modified by: ccbmommy on June 29, 2008 10:04 AM]
  • Thank you so much.
    I didn't realise that it was bad, wish I'd have phoned NHS direct last night.
    I'm off to take temp
    Thanks once again x
  • Hi, I sent my hubby out to buy a digital ear thermometer as I was sick of trying to get a reading off my basic one. It did cost ??40 (Braun Thermoscan) but well worth the money as I get an accurate reading & can take his temp whilst he's asleep - which I've done alot!
    Mine says that normal ranges by age is 0-2 years 36.4-38.0 C
    If unsure though give NHS Direct a call.
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• I keep meaning to get a digital ear thermometer. We have a Tomme Tippee forhead one which is ok but it can sometimes give different temps if you take another one straight after which is a little worrying.
    I've heard that it's best to have an ear one - must invest in one soon!
  • Hi all, Just wanted to let you know that Health Professionals no longer recommend the thermometers that go in Lo's ear and never recommend the forehead ones. They are withdrawing the use of ear thermometers from Hospitals.
  • Spoke to NHS direct cos Spence's temp was 38.6. I need to keep monitoring his temp and contact them again if it goes above 40.
    He's napping again, all he wants to do is sleep bless him. He's eaten a little and drank a lot of water so I know he's getting better. Just hope he sleeps well tonight.

That's interesting about ear thermometers. I feel happier about using my underarm method now.
  • Anything ober 40 is classed as a fever, anything other then that isnt really anything to worry about. to get the most accurate reading it needs to be done via the anus. Ear tempretures and forehead are meant to be the least accurate.
  • Sorry i didnt meant ear i meant underarm and forehead. Anything done externally isnt an accurate reading. You need to really do b y ear or rectal. Oral is ok if your baby will keep mouth closed for the time period needed (and lets face it not many do!!)
  • I give up! lol!
    When my LO was poorly & I tried doing the underarm with my standard thermometer the nurse I spoke to on the phone at the docs said to get an ear one cuz they're more accurate - I suppose the problem with ear ones is that you have little covers that you are meant to change each time & if you don't there maybe a risk of infection etc.
    Well I've spent ??40 on it so it's getting used! lol!
    I bought a cheap forehead one from ASDA & that was a total waste of time - LO would wriggle too much to take a proper reading.
    I don't fancy trying to take temp up his bum - not if I then need to take my temp! lol!
    xxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/F4kYp1/.png

• the normal body temp for baby is 36.4 i think if it gets near 39 then its really high xx
  • everybodys natural body temp is different. some babies can be lower the natural and some nearer the high. Im pretty sure normal is between 36.4 and 37.4, ifits higher doesnt seem they are really unwell unless your getting close to the 40 mark then start to worry. As long as your baby is hydrated thats the main thing
  • everybodys natural body temp is different. some babies can be lower the natural and some nearer the high. Im pretty sure normal is between 36.4 and 37.4, ifits higher doesnt seem they are really unwell unless your getting close to the 40 mark then start to worry. As long as your baby is hydrated thats the main thing
  • As a midwife we take a normal temp from 36.4 - 37.4 and underarm is what is always used, unless you know exactly what you are doing never take a temp via the rectum as its very easy to perforate the bowel especially with a poorly wriggly baby and to take a rectal temp it really should only be done with thermometers that are specified for rectal temperatures. If my lo had a temp of 38 I would be concerned and if calpol did not take it away it would be straight to the doctors and with babies if their temps get to high the are very suseptible to convulsions. Hope your lo is feeling better now pixie_woo although there are lots of bugs about at the moment x
  • Hello,

Just wondered why they are withdrawing the ear thermometers in hospitals?

Thanks
  • The doctor at the walk in clinic said it was because they are not as accurate as the under tongue/arm method. We had to wait while a nurse looked for a thermometer as the only one in the room was a tympanic one and he refused point blank to use it cos of the new regulations. Do you know, it took that poor nurse 20 mins to find one and she told me they only had 2 in the entire department!!!
  • The best advice I have been given is to take your lo's temp when they are well. Do this a few times and you will know what their normal temperature is which should be around 36.6 but can fluctuate from this. If you know what their temp is usually when they are well then you will know what is higher then usual for them and if then your concerned call NHS direct, who are brilliant.

Also I have always been advised to use underarm thermometer and find this quite easy. Again if you take their temp regularily then even if its out by a bit you should still have a fairly accurate idea of how much its increased by.

[Modified by: MumDonna on June 30, 2008 08:16 PM]