Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Investigations and problems - advice?

Hi Ladies,

I'm on and off here sporadically - I'm sorry to be here and then not. Sometimes I really need to chat and then i really need to forget about it.

We're starting to do investigations now. We've been trying for 12 months now - I came off the pill last July so we're officially allowed to see our GP about it. Although the more research I've done and the more i've found out about my cycles etc I think we've only had 9 proper cycles (ie sex at the right time of the month, right positions etc - lol!).

Anyway we went to the docs last week as hubby found a lump and we're pretty sure its a varicocole -- he's due for a scan etc to check it out. When we were at docs he started chatting through everything and wants to see us again when results are back.

I was wondering if any of you have been through this and can offer insights, advice as I feel I know so little about it. I'm hoping it will happen naturally in the mean time but it is really getting me down.

I have no signs personally of problems, my periods are regular, usually between 33 and 36 day cycles and i've never had an gynea problems. I was feeling quite positve about it and kept telling myself that it takes loads of people about a year but then my gp said "oh no that's not normal" which made me feel great!

My husband is convinced it's him, partly because of this lump, and whatever i say he's giving himself hell.

Can any one shed any light - or just give me hope?

Thank you

Replies

• Sorry can't offer any advice but didn't wanna R&R, thought i'd just wish you luck and hope everything is ok. xx
  • Thanks Slow x
  • Hi Rach46

I'm sorry to hear that you and your husband are feeling down and fingers crossed that your husband's lump turns out to be nothing.

I don't really have any advice, but I have come to the conclusion that GP's are next to useless when it comes to offering advice about fertility! I'm sure they know the medical stuff, but they don't seem to have a good grasp of reality. From everything I've gleaned from talking to friends, reading around this and other forums and also from so-called experts, 1 year is perfectly normal. Infuriating but normal. Of course it makes sense after a year to get things checked out so that you can be sure everything's ok or work to rectify any problems and give you a bit of peace of mind that you're doing everything you can to get your BFP!

Don't beat yourselves up though, you never know, it might happen naturally before you get to the testing stage. Fingers crossed for you xxxx
  • Hi there, we have been to our GP and have been referred to the fertility clinic. Our GP started off by taking blood tests from me and a sperm analysis from OH. We were advised to wait 6 months after seeing him as he couldn't see a reason why I would n't fall pregnant and thought I needed to give it a bit more time as tests came out ok. Well nothing happened after 6 months, went back and was referred to fertility clinic, more blood tests whilst waiting, e.g. Rubella check. I must say my experience with fertility clinic has been pretty good, I only waited a few weeks to be seen. I have since had scans etc. The clinic will probably ask you questions about your cycles and medical history and I expect different GPs, clinic might vary a bit in their approach and how they go about helping. I hope that helps and I hope we all get our BFP very soon.
  • Hi there, we have been to our GP and have been referred to the fertility clinic. Our GP started off by taking blood tests from me and a sperm analysis from OH. We were advised to wait 6 months after seeing him as he couldn't see a reason why I would n't fall pregnant and thought I needed to give it a bit more time as tests came out ok. Well nothing happened after 6 months, went back and was referred to fertility clinic, more blood tests whilst waiting, e.g. Rubella check. I must say my experience with fertility clinic has been pretty good, I only waited a few weeks to be seen. I have since had scans etc. The clinic will probably ask you questions about your cycles and medical history and I expect different GPs, clinic might vary a bit in their approach and how they go about helping. I hope that helps and I hope we all get our BFP very soon.
  • My H2B has had to do a "sample" for sperm analysis. We rushed it to the hospital last Thursday. We have been told to wait 2 weeks for the results to be sent to our doctor. I have got to go for blood tests on 17th of this month which im not looking forward to. Our GP has said he will see what the results come back like and if its not that good he is going to look into us having an assisted conception. All sounds a bit gruling but im sure well worth it in the end.
    xxx
  • Good luck to you too babymonkey x
  • HI Ladies,

Thanks for your advice. I've heard so many people say that GPs are a bit crap and I am worried about the wrong advice - i think we're going to look into going to a private clinic for the same thing - maybe on that prefers the natural approach!!

Good luck ladies - I hope we all get there soon!

Rach