Forum home Getting pregnant Trying to conceive

Angus Castus info?

Hi, can anyone tell me anything about this? Does it really work? I'm still waiting for AF (48 days) so would be great if I could speed her up!!

Replies

• Hiya, I took Agnus castus as my cycles were 40-42 days after coming off the pill. They gradually reduced to around 35 days so I reckon it did the trick and I got my BFP after 6 months. they are often on sale at Holland and Barrett. Good luck! Em x
  • ooooh that's good! And congrats emmsy4!! Hope it has the same effect on me!!!!!
  • hi
    my periods are all over the place
    i started taking agnus castus and af arrived within 3 days. i don't know if this was a coincidence or not.
    when i was taking it my cycles were about 45 days, when i ran out and stopped taking it for a while my periods stopped again.
    i've just started taking it again at the weekend. i think it works. i've also been reccommended dong quai by my friend so i've started taking that to. it helps with irregular cycles.
  • hi,
    i was also taking ac but had to stop as was suffering side effects ( sore heads & sickness )
    i did think it was working for me but couldn't put up with the side effects, guess what i'm trying to say is just watch out for side effects! it took me a while to connect the two!!
  • I don't know if it was coincidence or not but my cycles reduced a bit each month after taking this, following coming off the pill. I fell pregnant on about the third month of taking it (you're only supposed to take it up until ov), which was our second month of actually "trying".

18+6
  • I had cycles of 35, then one month it went on till day 50, so took ac and they came staright back next month to 35 again and then I got my bfp too!!!

Emma (8wks - Twins)
  • I ve heard its suposed to be excellent, if im not pg this month im definatly taking some! xx
  • Hi girls
    Have been taking ac as well - has def reduced length of my cycle so far. Last month I was on day 40 odd of a cycle and getting fed up - took ac and AF arrived 9 days later.

However - I didn't know I was only meant to take it up to ov. I have been taking it every morn!! What is the reason to stop taking it after ov? Also, when should you resume - on first day of next AF? (if no BFP of course!)

Advice appreciated
  • i didn't know you were only supposed to take it up to ov only either image
    i suppose thinking about it, its probably incase you get pregnant cos your not supposed to take it when pregnant.

i'll do that this month then and if AF arrives (hopefully she won't) i'll start taking it again that day.

i'd google dong quai as well girlies, see what you think of that. i've started taking this as well this month. it says its good for infertility. i'll try anything if it works.
  • whats quai?
  • my friend recommended it. its called Dong Quai
    its another herbal remedy like agnus castus

its says its good for :
    Amenorrhoea (lack of menstrual flow)
    Dysmenorrhoea (painful menstruation)
    Infertility
    Anaemia (blood iron deficiency)
  • I need that - I suffer from dysmenorrhea! Thanks tasha!
  • found this on another website:

Herbs (see caution below)

Herbal treatment is aimed at restoring hormone imbalances, and encouraging ovulation if it is not occurring. It will also give you the best possible chance of maintaining a pregnancy, should you conceive.

Agnus Castus (Vitex or Chaste tree berry)

This is the herb of choice for helping to restore hormone imbalance and increasing fertility. In one study 48 women diagnosed with infertility took agnus castus daily for three months, 7 of them became pregnant during that time and 25 of them regained normal progesterone levels.

Agnus castus is particularly helpful for those women who have a luteal phase defect (shortened second half to the cycle) or those with high prolactin levels, because it stimulates the proper functioning of the pituitary gland which controls the hormones.

Agnus castus works to restore hormonal balance and can be used where there are hormone deficits as well as excesses it:

Regulates periods
    Restarts periods which have stopped
    Helps with heavy bleeding
    Increases the ratio of progesterone to oestrogen by balancing excess oestrogen.
    Note:
    Don't take any herbs while you are using drug treatments or going through assisted conception (such as IVF), unless prescribed by a qualified practitioner.

Caution

You should not take any of the above herbs if you are taking, The Pill, Fertillity drugs, HRT or any other hormonal treatment or other medication unless they are recommended by a registered, experienced practitioner.

• oooh thanks for all the info!!!

Am a bit confused though - if you have irregular cycles then how are you meant to know when you are OV in order to stop taking the tablets???
    Anyone got any ideas???!!!!!
  • Hi Girlies, I have found this website with some herbal remedies on it. Not sure if it will be of any use to any of you.... I mioght start having a green tea every morning...

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/natural-fertility-boosters.html

xxx
  • i suppose the only way you'll know Rach is if your using OPK's and pick up that your ovulating. either that or take it continuously until you get a BFP then stop taking it.
    people vary on here some take it continously and others take it until they ov. hopefully if you start taking it, it will regulate you then you will know roughly when your due to ovulate.
  • bumped for newbie xlouloubelle!!!!
  • Unlike a lot of you I am taking AC to make my cycle longer!