Forum home Toddlers & older children Children with special needs

My baby is always ill and they will not listen!!

My baby was born 8 weeks early and hada few breathing problems when born, since feb when he was born I have had not end of hospital visit and he has also been in hospital 3 times.

We have found out that he is deaf in both ears and will need hearing aids for life, he also has some sort of bowel problem as his poo has never changed colour and is always blackwitha hint of green, he has a milk allergi and is on a soya baced formula called neocate, he also is in hospital with breathing problem again and is only taking 2oz of formula every 2 hours. I have tried hanging him out for feeds but it does not work. I am now weening him but this is making his bowel problem even worse because he will only poo once a week. The doctors say this is ok but he seems to be in pain all of the time! How can I make them listen!!

Does anyone have any ideas??

Replies

• I would repeat what joanne and also make a log of each feed and nappy etc, time how much he drank or ate any periods of particular discomfort and dirty and wet nappies I find the drs a lot more responsive when they can see it all in black and white and as they say the squeakiest hinge gets the most oil,lol.

xxx
  • hi champ25, when my little girl was born at term she was a terrible feeder. noone believed me. she was terrible at breastfeeding and although i was told she was latching on right i would be wet through as for some reason she always seemed to leak the milk out of her mouth. she was even worse when it came to bottle feeding as it would take her an hour to drink 2oz. her poohs when she was very young caused her so much agony. not that she was constipated as such as they were never hard but they would come every 5 days or so and she was in agony. she wouldn't sleep as she would just writhe about. she couldn't feed very well because we knew her tummy was full. we knew this as when she had had a pooh she would feed better and for longer. noone believed us and said she was doing fine. we had to hold her legs up to her tummy many times a day to help her pooh and massage her tummy. when it did finally come we would have to use 3 nappies. sorry to be so blunt. it was awful at the time though. she didn't gain much weight and they thought i was neurotic about it. one day a health visitor came out to me and weighed her telling me she looked fine, when she weighed her she realised there may be a problem and referred us to a paedetrician at hospital. by this point her poohs were becoming a bit more regular and they said that although there seemed nothing obviously wrong they think her digestive system was still immature although she was born at term. do you think that is possible still with your baby.? i am sorry you are having such a tough time but as joanne and ben&bella have said, perserverence is the best policy. you know your baby better than anyone and if it is not right to you then it will not be right. keep going back and make sure you are heard. good luck and i hope everything goes well for you, susan x
  • when you talk about breathing problems, how does it present itself?? Does he still do it?? how many resps does he do in an average min when settled?

Ethan has problems like this also, but his are heart related? Have they checked for murmour?

Does he vomit at all?? Ethans now on a fully hydrolised milk called nutramigen thats hypoallergenic for the management of dairy and soy allergy...

not sure if that helps?
  • when you talk about breathing problems, how does it present itself?? Does he still do it?? how many resps does he do in an average min when settled?

Ethan has problems like this also, but his are heart related? Have they checked for murmour?

Does he vomit at all?? Ethans now on a fully hydrolised milk called nutramigen thats hypoallergenic for the management of dairy and soy allergy...

not sure if that helps?
  • funny you should mention this as my little girl was diagnosed with a heart murmur last year. it is only an innocent one thank goodness but could explain her feeding problems as a baby. i hope ethan is ok and your baby (not so much a baby anymore) too champ25.
    susan x