Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Nap Problem

Hi. My 7 week old baby luckily sleeps brilliantly throughout the night. He takes a nap in the morning for approx. an hour. He only sleeps for 45 mins in the afteroon & wakes up irritable & still tired but refuses to settle back. I am praying babies grow out of this phase as I resort to taking him out in the car/carrier/pram to send him back off to sleep as he is desperately tired. Can somebody tell me if they have experienced the same? Do they grow out of light sleep? I have been told 3 mths is a magical age!!By-the-way, hunger isn't an issue & he doesn't normally have problems settling himself. Thanks, Emma

Replies

• Hi Emma,

This is probably not what you want to here but my LO has had nap problems since day one and is now 6 1/2 months old!
    Three months is a magical age but please dont get your hopes too high.
    Lily (my LO) got over colic at 3 months but still struggles to nap. The best thing we have found is trying to look for sleep cues.....hers are resting her head, tugging her ear and sucking her thumb. It has taken us a long time to get here tho!
    When she was your LO's age my health visitor said to try taking Lily out at the same time every day. The movement of the buggy or car would send her to sleep and she would get used to falling asleep at this time. It has worked to some extent but I like to go out in the afternoon and have kept it up.
    I am pretty sure babies get their night routines sorted first and then at 3 months they naturally start to form a daytime routine (even if it is only a rough one).
    Dont be disheartened. It gets easier and you will find something that works for you.
    Remember, your LO is still very young and probably being overstimulated by everything around him. But I really believe a bit of structure to your day could help.

Serena X
  • Hi Emma,

This is probably not what you want to here but my LO has had nap problems since day one and is now 6 1/2 months old!
    Three months is a magical age but please dont get your hopes too high.
    Lily (my LO) got over colic at 3 months but still struggles to nap. The best thing we have found is trying to look for sleep cues.....hers are resting her head, tugging her ear and sucking her thumb. It has taken us a long time to get here tho!
    When she was your LO's age my health visitor said to try taking Lily out at the same time every day. The movement of the buggy or car would send her to sleep and she would get used to falling asleep at this time. It has worked to some extent but I like to go out in the afternoon and have kept it up.
    I am pretty sure babies get their night routines sorted first and then at 3 months they naturally start to form a daytime routine (even if it is only a rough one).
    Dont be disheartened. It gets easier and you will find something that works for you.
    Remember, your LO is still very young and probably being overstimulated by everything around him. But I really believe a bit of structure to your day could help.

Serena X
  • Hi Serena

Thank you. To be honest, the most important thing for me is the night time routine which is great. I don't suppose I can have it all! It's so frustrating though as he is so tired when he wakes. Same as you, I take him out in the afternoon, mainly in his pram just so he can catch up. Plus it's great for him (& me) to get some air. I am convinced this is part of the reason he sleeps so well in the evening/night. Having heard what your HV recommended, I may scrap his nap in the cot altogether for midday naps & just take him straight out so he sleeps straight through.

Thanks again x x