Forum home Pregnancy Labour & birth

What size is a 'good sized' baby?

Hi ladies hope u and bumps r all doing ok, i was wondering if anyone knew what a 'good sized' baby will weigh in at birth? i have seen 3 different doctors and 2 different midwives, who after feeling my tummy say 'oooohh thats a good sized baby!' i have no idea what it means lol! i should of asked but i dont think until im at home,

Love Steph 30+5 xxx

ps also posted this on pregnancy forum, i am very curious lol!

Replies

• normally it would mean around 8lb ish... I was told my first was a good size baby 10 years ago and he was 8lb born and I was told my third and recent baby was a good size she was 9lb... my second was a mere 7lb 13oz!!! lol

I have found that it is true what they say the bigger they are the easier they are to get out..

Let s know when u have lo and the size x
  • i hope your right bigger is easier to push out as ive been told that my 3rd is a good size ive estimated it will be 8lb 6oz so fingers crossed
    my second was 7lb 3oz and my first was 6lb 1oz
  • my first was 6lb and a nightmare to get out, my second was 8lb 6 and a very, very easy birth! I would be happy with 8-9lb this time.
  • I would say a "good sized baby" is one that is 8lb+...I was always being told that by midwives and mine was 9lb 1.
  • Well, the UK average is 7lb 11oz birth-weight so I would say anything above that would be "good sized". Like the other ladies have said, something around 8lb.
    My LO was 8lb 9oz at birth, although at 41 weeks a mw told me he would be about 7lb!

Good luck with the rest of your preg x
  • I just read that the average new born in England weighs 7lb and measures about 51 cm which is just what my first daughter was! Both my nephews weighed less than that though and were perfectly healthy. I was told that any baby weighing less than 2.5 kg at birth would be considered as underweight and stay in hospital until they had reach that milestone when I had my daughter, but that was 12 years ago so things have probably changed! Nowadays doctors seem to look at how healthy a new born is rather than how heavy. My second daughter weighed 8lb4 and that was big for me! She looked so chubby to me (she also measured 51 cm so looked much fatter than her sister at birth!).
    This time round I have been told that I am expecting a whopper but I am not going to worry about it as long as he is healthy...
  • I just read that the average new born in England weighs 7lb and measures about 51 cm which is just what my first daughter was! Both my nephews weighed less than that though and were perfectly healthy. I was told that any baby weighing less than 2.5 kg at birth would be considered as underweight and stay in hospital until they had reach that milestone when I had my daughter, but that was 12 years ago so things have probably changed! Nowadays doctors seem to look at how healthy a new born is rather than how heavy. My second daughter weighed 8lb4 and that was big for me! She looked so chubby to me (she also measured 51 cm so looked much fatter than her sister at birth!).
    This time round I have been told that I am expecting a whopper but I am not going to worry about it as long as he is healthy...
  • Everytime i have been pregnant each midwife has said i was carrying an average size baby and that i was carrying a lot of water but when it came to me having them they weighed 8lb 14 and a half, 8lb 12 and a half, 9lb 7 and the last one was 10lb 4!!
    So it just shows that they don't really know. with my last one i had a growth scan at 38wks and he was estimated to weigh around 8lb 10, i went 1wk over so 3 wks later we had a massive shock!! lol
    I'm now pregnant with my 5th and i will definatly be requested a growth scan because i had my last 2 babies at home and want the same this time but not sure if it will be possible this time round because of the size.
    michelle xx
  • Well my first child wieghed 7.5 oz and was 21 in. And I think that is close to average in america. But I'm pregnant now, 2 months, and my docter says its a little too early too know alot.