Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Any one else been refused flexible working?

Hi im due back to work in a few weeks amd i used to do 40 hours in 4 days. i requested todo 20 hours in2 days and didnt thin kthis would be a problem as i have beent here for 16 years and have a strong clientellebut they have said i have to go back full time or move branches!!! Im so pissed off. ive appaled there disicion for lots of reasons but i have also offered a compromise to just work saturdays untill the busuiness allows me to work 2 days. They replaced me you see and would move this girl to another salon if i went back full time but cant afford to pay both of us. Im gutted i love my clients and have allways been so loyal. I am now waiting an answer omworking one day. It will just give me enough money to pay my loan and car loan. i have been in touch with acass today and they suggest i take it further on grounds of sexual discrimination. Just wondered if any one else was having troubleand had taken it further. I cant be bothered to be honest we have family illness at moment so it all seems irrelevant but we are going to really struggle without my income.

Replies

• I asked about applying for a career break for three years and they made an appointment for me to go in to complete the application, which you have to wait to be agreed. I found out a couple of weeks before my appointment that they had already interviewed for, and recruited, my job! As I was feeling a little uncertain about the career break, I mentioned this fact at the meeting and asked what would happen if I changed my mind. I was told that the company would have to 'Absorb' me into the busines (??)
    I completed the paperwork and the career break was agreed and then my circumstances meant that I decided a career break was not the right thing to do. I contacted them before I was due to hand in my official 1 month notice and they basically said.... TOUGH!!!
    I even said I would go back to ANY job, including a Grade A (Which is minimum wage) and was told that, because I choped and changed my mind (??) they would question my 'commitment' to the company. And, because they are not allowing me back, I have to pay back all my Aditional Maternity Pay... about ??2500! Great!
    I'm beginning to think us new Mum's aren't quite as protected as we thought!! :x
  • my company tried to stop me going part time too. look online at maternity rights. although they can refuse flexible working they have to give a very specific reason and there are only 8 legally allowable ones. i won and got part time so it is worth fighting for. good luck. xx
  • Hi I too have been refused certain hours( i asked to have 2 set shifts a week) but what the ward sister told me wasn't amoungst the 8 reasons on the list of refusing. However as I have to work alongside the sister when Im on shift I didn't want to go above her head and take it further as it would possibly make my shifts with her uncomfortabe so I just have to sort out my childcare when I get my off duty. I only do 2 12 hour shifts a week but them days are different each week and different month to month, luckily my MIL and mum have my daughter between them but there are some shifts that I don't have any child care so I have to p*"s about finding another nurse to swap with. It's such a nightmare.
  • Hi I too have been refused certain hours( i asked to have 2 set shifts a week) but what the ward sister told me wasn't amoungst the 8 reasons on the list of refusing. However as I have to work alongside the sister when Im on shift I didn't want to go above her head and take it further as it would possibly make my shifts with her uncomfortabe so I just have to sort out my childcare when I get my off duty. I only do 2 12 hour shifts a week but them days are different each week and different month to month, luckily my MIL and mum have my daughter between them but there are some shifts that I don't have any child care so I have to p*"s about finding another nurse to swap with. It's such a nightmare.
  • my ward sister agreed to one set day a week and one night at a weekend. however now im due to go back they are saying that the one day set a week is not possible, i have already got childcare sorted for the day they agreed and my oh can cover the night shift. my nursery does a shift workers scheme but you need your rota a month in advance which never happens, oh the joys of going back to work.
  • hi

im also a shift worker in childcare and while i was granted going from 5 days to 3 no problem, my request to have just one set day, or even one usual day which they could change if really necessary, was denied as "no one has that right here." i dont know the 8 reasons, im pretty sure that wouldnt be one of them. And actually, quite a few people have that right unofficially.

I have been lucky enough to find a flexible nursery who will let me book each session indicidually, with no retainer if im on holiday. of course its still weekdays and doesnt cover nights and weekends but i have my oh for that. my mum is great also at bridging gaps, getting lo home to bed when i work late etc. without family support, even with the rarity of a flexible nursery, i have no idea how i would make it work. its made me think of waiting longer to have a second child as the thought of doing it all with two would be such a lot for everyone image in this day and age so few people can afford to live on one salary. I very much see the appeal of it if we could, could handle being a bit poorer and would probably just get on and have another bubba fairly quickly, then go back to work when they're older! but not an option for us sadly.

just out of interest would love to hear what the 8 reasons are. I think employers take the risk that you probably wont bother fighting it. Incidentally, i want to continue bf and i know my manager has not followed the law with that. she's supposed to risk assess me as a breast feeding woman, and the law stipulates not that i must be given time to express milk, but to rest (which is the same thing really). she hasnt risk assessed me and has told me i can do it if its not busy. hardly right really but like others have said, who wants to return from mat leave and annoy their boss and upset everyone, Its hard enough integrating back in as well as being a new mummy! x

• sorry, meant to say im a shiftworker in healthcare, not childcare! x