Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Dentist Treatments

Does anyone know what is classed as free dentalcare?
I'm going to the dentist on wednesday and I'm not sure whether to tell them I'm pregnant or not. I know you get free dentistry but I'm not going for necessary treatment, I've got braces and they should be coming off soon so will be left with a big bill at the end of it! Also having a bridge. Has anyone else had braces or any other unnecessary treatments like this whilst being pregnant?
xxx

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/21/2160/216025.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev118pp___.png

Replies

• Hi
    Def let them know as they may need to know with your treatment, get yourself a matnerity exempt card asap from doctors surgery. I have to go to the dentist every 2 weeks due to bleeding gums, this far exceeds every 3 monyhjs that i had with my first pregnancy.
    Good luck with everything
    Nikki
  • im not 100% sure but i think it covers all treatments or the majority of them, so defo tell them your pregnant
    im yet to find an nhs dentist near me that i can go to, ive got a hole in my tooth and it really hurts.

xxx
  • cool it'll be great if I could get it free! I just didn't think I could because its like more cosmetic than necessary, plus if I've already had the majority of the treatment (I've had this brace in for nearly 3 years!)
    Thanks for your replies xxx
  • not sure about the braces thing but thought all nhs treatment was free up until your baby is one.
    fillings are ok even with the injection. used to be a dental nurse and saw loads of pg ladies have them. if you forego the injection theres a risk that the dentist cant drill as deep as they need and then an infection would be harder to treat.
    I had a crown done after baby was born and that would have set me back about ??150 so there are some benefits to being pregnant.
    Filo x
  • Not 100% but I think its only free with an NHS dentist, so if your dentist is private then you would still have to pay. I was told fillings were fine, however I need one but my as this pregnancy is classed as high risk he wouldnt carry the procedure out. Instead he is keeping a close eye on me and will fill the tooth straight after the baby is born xxxx