Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Useless midwife

Went to see my midwife today... what a waste of time.
She took my blood pressure, didnt even tell me the reasult, wether it was high, low, or ok.. then just sat me on bed, looked for heartbeat (at my request) literally let me listen for about 4 seconds, then turned it off... I barely even got to hear a thing, I am just taking her word that it was ok!!

Then that was it, she sent me home, come back in ten weeks! By which time I'll be 26 weeks.

Is this normal? I even noticed in my green notes she ticked that she had explained things she had never, and where it said babys movements she had ticked none yet even though she hadn't asked me about that?
She didnt even weigh me?

I just feel so let down as someone who is relitively dealing with the pregnancy alone, I am only 22, my partner is rather useless most of the time and just not supportive! (he isnt anti the baby at all, he just doesnt take into consideration what I am going through and hasnt put a single penny towards one thing for baby tho he earns a LOT more than I do), My family are miles away, I was really relying on my midwife to be helpful, someone I could talk to , and turn to for advice in my pregnancy..

Instead I am stuck with some woman who is obviously in the wrong career and doesn't seem to give a shit about her patients!!! image

:x

She took my blood pressure, didnt even tell me the reasult, wether it was high, low, or ok.. then just sat me on bed, looked for heartbeat (at my request) literally let me listen for about 4 seconds, then turned it off... I barely even got to hear a thing, I am just taking her word that it was ok!!

Then that was it, she sent me home, come back in ten weeks! By which time I'll be 26 weeks.

Is this normal? I even noticed in my green notes she ticked that she had explained things she had never, and where it said babys movements she had ticked none yet even though she hadn't asked me about that?
She didnt even weigh me?

I just feel so let down as someone who is relitively dealing with the pregnancy alone, I am only 22, my partner is rather useless most of the time and just not supportive! (he isnt anti the baby at all, he just doesnt take into consideration what I am going through and hasnt put a single penny towards one thing for baby tho he earns a LOT more than I do), My family are miles away, I was really relying on my midwife to be helpful, someone I could talk to , and turn to for advice in my pregnancy..

Instead I am stuck with some woman who is obviously in the wrong career and doesn't seem to give a shit about her patients!!! image

She didnt even weigh me?

http://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/bg900239.jpg

[Modified by: Lucretia on 07 October 2008 19:28:32 ]

Replies

• aww lucretia, i'm so sry to hear u had such an awful experience. i don't have a mid wife my gp is following the pregnancy and at every appointment (every 4 weeks) he takes blood pressure and mumbles something about it lol, usually gd, mind u if she didn't say anything about the results then i'm assuming it can't be bad news. he weighs me everytime, and i always heve to take that mornings wee in for him too lol

she defiantely shld not be ticking things that she hasn't discussed with u

u really do need to be comfortable and happy with ur midwife as she's going to be with u through out the most important experience u'll ever have,
    i wld suggest that u ask for a new midwife and maybe even put in a complaint about her as she really shoudn't be putting things in ur notes that she hasn't discussed with u

xx

http://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/bg893315.jpg

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev073pr___.png

• the ten week thing is normaly in a lot of places i had to weight that long between my apointents at that point as well and though it was strange as the last two times i was pregnant i lived in difrent places and it was totaly difrent i saw the midwife a lot more so i wasnt sure what to think x
  • Hi there- sorry to hear you had a disapointing visit. Perhaps if you phone and ask if you can come again as you would appreciate a bit more feedback and explanation. Sometimes MWs forget that we don't all know everything and assume you understand everything they do.
    We don't get weighed in my area apart from the booking visit as it is seen as unnecessary and movements could be whether SHE felt them during her examination rather than your report as would be too early for most ladies anyway.
    Would be nice to actually be part of it though !!
    My MW is fab and I ask her why/what/ where all the time!:lol:
  • Sorry that you're not having such a good experience with your midwife at the moment!
    I seem to be having the same trouble i am 34 weeks 3dys and this is my second child but first was just over 4yrs ago so forgotten few bits, i think they assume you know everything still! All she seems to do is do the basic checks and then send you on your way! I' m taken my mum next time as i keep forgetting to ask midwife questions must be the pregnancy brain haha! Hubby works during the day so it's difficult for him to get the time off! Have you got a friend that could go with you for support!!

Take care Mariex
  • That is an appalling way to be treated you NEED to complain. This is not acceptable. Hope you get it sorted. xx
  • thanks everyone!
    and camlo, she didnt even do an examination, or even touch my stomach. The doppler touched it for all of a minute but that is it.

I understand that different midwifes do things differently but if all she did was take my blood pressure what is the point? she only checked for heartbeat as I asked to hear it and didnt even discuss anything with me, ask or inform about antenatal classes etc.. I had wanted to ask her some questions about the birth but she couldn't of rushed me out of there quicker.

I'd see about changing midwifes but she is the only one at my practice image
  • That doesnt sound good enough to me, There is usually a team of midwives so make an appointment and go back to see a different MW. And just explain that you didnt feel anything was explained to you. I had a similar experience at one of my very last appointments and when I went into labour she was the MW that was on duty, I refused to have her in the room, but they said there was nobody else so she had to come in. Turned out she was absolutely brilliant and nothing like the day in the surgery, maybe she was just havig a bad day....although that is no consolation to you.
  • Sorry to hear that hun, must feel like crap, i dnt no what my mw is gonna be like i dnt meet her till im 20weeks but im lucky in the sense that iv got my o/h's 100% support, so just feel bad for you, an my folks they are there at the drop of a hat.
    carnt you see another mw at a drop in centre? get reasurrance!
    take care sweet

~*'-'*~ Millions n Billions of PMA ~*'-'*~
    ~*'-'*~ BabyDust n Sparkles~*'-'*~
    ~*'-'*~????? Fingers crossed~*'-'*~
    hugs
    leea
    xxxx
    http://bd.lilypie.com/WP3mm7/.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/car114py___.png

• At 16 weeks mw's feel as if its only necessary to check bp, urine and listen to a hb. The reason for this is because up to about 24 weeks there is very little they can do as the baby is still to small to feel. She should have asked you how you were feeling and checked that you are following a good diet and stuff like that. How long ago was your booking in appointment? Was it the same mw? If it was you may have felt that she expained enough then. Sorry you're having a bad time of it.