Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Bouncer, Swing or both???

Hi there,

So I have started thinking about things that we will need for the baby other than the obvious things...moses basket, cotbed etc etc.

Have any of you got any thoughts on the merits of having a bouncer or a swing or both? For those of you who already have little ones, do you think you need one or the other or both? Did you use them much? If you have both, which one did you use the most???

Questions, questions!

Thanks

Frankie

20 weeks ish! xx

Replies

• I was wondering this - whether to get a bouncer or swing, or playmat - or all three. My friend had a baby beanbag for her little one which she's going to lend me - it serves the same purpose as a bouncer only it doesn't er, bounce! The baby fits into/onto it snugly and is well supported, and you can mould it so s/he's flat, or slightly propped up.

Think I'm going to see how I get on with the little beanbag and then buy a swing or bouncer if I think we need one.

35+2
  • Hi Frankie,
    i probably wont be much help, but with my first lo, we had a vibrating bouncy chair. my lo didnt like it though! she's still an awkward little thing now. my friend had one of those swing things and she loved that. she only got a bit better when she was able to lie on her playmat with gym over her and swipe at the toys!
    so if i were you, i'd just price them up before you choose. one hint though is that with most of the chairs, they have handles so you can carry lo around the house with you whereas you prob couldnt if you have a swing one.
    hth x
  • Hi

With Emilia we had originally bought a vibrating bouncy chair which she didn't like and didn't look at all comfortable in. A lot of friends suggested a swing and I have to say it was the best investment we made. We used it all the time and it had a very calming effect on her. We also had a playmat which was used a lot to. The vibrating chair went to nannys and has stayed there.
  • Hello just gate crashing from baby! We have all three and I can highly reccommend the ones we have!
    The bouncer chair that we have is the fisher price kick & play and this is briliant for entertaining Ashton as the more he kicks the more music it plays / lights up. It also has a vibrate mode which is great for settling him away to sleep!
    If you are going to get a swing then I would say its worth spending a bit more on one that will last a few years. The one we have is again from fisher price, 3 in 1 smart stages rocker. It is a swing, and can be taken off the frame to be used as a rocking chair and also has a bar underneath that you use to stable it for sleep / feeding. This was given to us by my sister who used it till her son was 2 yrs old.
    We still use the swing for Ashton but have found it great for feeding him in it to as he is still to small for a high chair.
    Hope this helps.............both are available on the mothercare website.
    Tammi & Ashton xxxx
  • I was wondering this - whether to get a bouncer or swing, or playmat - or all three. My friend had a baby beanbag for her little one which she's going to lend me - it serves the same purpose as a bouncer only it doesn't er, bounce! The baby fits into/onto it snugly and is well supported, and you can mould it so s/he's flat, or slightly propped up.

Think I'm going to see how I get on with the little beanbag and then buy a swing or bouncer if I think we need one.

35+2

Hey Pinktoothbrush!

Yeah....I saw one of those bean bag things too...they look really comfy.....it's all so confusing! Eeek! But it's a good idea to buy one or two things and then decide what you need after the baby is born maybe...

F x

• Hi Frankie,
    i probably wont be much help, but with my first lo, we had a vibrating bouncy chair. my lo didnt like it though! she's still an awkward little thing now. my friend had one of those swing things and she loved that. she only got a bit better when she was able to lie on her playmat with gym over her and swipe at the toys!
    so if i were you, i'd just price them up before you choose. one hint though is that with most of the chairs, they have handles so you can carry lo around the house with you whereas you prob couldnt if you have a swing one.
    hth x

Hhhhmmm, all seems a bit hit and miss really....one with a handle sounds like a very good idea though! Thank you!

F x
  • Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like a swing seems to be the most popular choice, preferred by little ones!

Cheers!

F x
  • We have one of these, it was given to us otherwise I doubt we'd have both
    http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=product&pid=35538

And we also have a M&P traditional bouncy chair, non vibrating type
  • with my other two i only had the bouncer and thats all iv bought this time
    the one i had for the other two was the best though as i could be used in any position from lying flat for them to sleep in to being compleatly up right so they could sit in it and eat if they werent ready for the high chair. i must say it was one of the best things i ever bough and am just sorry i wasnt able to get the same one this time round x
  • Initailly I wouldjust say dont worry about getting it yt. Your Lo will live in moses (or cot) and your arms for the first couple of weeks and you'll enjoy buying stuff for them even more once there born.
    We have used a bouncer (chair) for Nathan, it does vibrate but he doesnt like it. It has been a godsend as I can take him about the house with me but he has started sittin unaided so cant really use it now (he's nearly 6 months).
    A playmat is a great investment as they can use it for years as a place to play.
    Never had a swing but have heard people talk highly of them. We do have a jumperoo though which he quite likes althugh i think he would have been just as happy in a cheaper activity station.
    xx
  • Hi,

Thanks for the info,

I think I am goning to buy a bouncer or swing to start with and see how thw baby gets on with it. Then i'll decide if I need anything else.

F xx