Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

FAO- xkelx

Hey Kel

Just answering ur questions...
I am taking off from 27th Dec-1st Apr... But ill prob still do a few clients inbetween, as i have regulars who have their colours done every 4 weeks! and i dont want my really really nice regulars going elsewhere image
Id def recommend going mobile once your back to work, what you make is your own, not lining anyone elses pocket! And you can pick your own hours, so more flexible with baby etc.

Also, once im back, im gona put an advert i local paper saying im back and all existing and new clients welcome. Gona try do mainly colours, i get fed up floating about doing cuts all day lol. And gona put my prices up alot!! I am waaay to cheap compared to others, so gona whack the prices up and work less, maybe... see how it goes lol

When u finishing work?
Sharon x

http://bd.lilypie.com/qxznp1/.png

Replies

• Hello.
    I'm not sure when to finish yet I'm due 1st May and don't really wanna work right up till then but I might have to work pretty close to save a bit more money so I can have a bit more time off after. So I was thinking around 2 weeks before, but I suppose it just depends how hard it's gonna be being on feet all day and how big I get!
    Did you take on a lot of clients from when you were working in a salon (if you did)? Cuz that's another thing I dunno if ya can just steal the clients from the salon by handing out cards or whether I'd have to start a new clientelle from advertising.
    I wouldn't really know what to charge either. At the minute in the salon I work in I charge quite a lot and I would no way charge that much but then I dunno how low ya can go to still make a good amount! Just out of intersest what are your prices if ya don't mind me asking?
    xxx
  • Hey

Well i walked out of my work, had argument with boss and registered as SE that day lol, was planning to leave anyway and set up on my own.
    So cos of short notice i didnt have time to tell my own clients etc and also you have to be careful as you can get into trouble for nicking clients lol.
    So i just put adverts up and hoped my clients would find me which they did image

And i obv took on alot of new ones, racked up about 300 regulars now, so keeps me busy, altho ive had to cut my hours down alot. I thought i cud work right up til end (due 28th jan, got colours booked in 23rd lol), but im not able to anymore cos of spd and im really tired at nights now, so no more 9am-9pm days, more like 11am-7pm hehe.

I charge ??19 for a CBD, ??14 W/C, ??12 B/DRY, ??36 F/H Foils, ??26 H/H foils, ??36 F/H Tint, ??26 Regrowth tint etc etc etc...

Salons round here charge approx ??25 CBD, so im a bit less, but i have less overheads so i have to watch that im not too expensive. Altho some regulars are ??15 CBD as ive never put them up since i started image
    I hate putting prices up, so what i do is any new clients i charge them higher and keep originals the same, but then i end up forgetting who pays what lol, bit confusing hehe.

Hope that helps xx
  • Yer I suppose if I just advertise then hopefully people will find me!
    You have a massive clientelle and obviously it takes time to build up I'm just scared that it will take too long and be losing money but I suppose if I advertise a few months after baby is born and before I was planning on going back then I suppose I could start building it up then.

At the minute I generally charge ??15 for CBD and ??30 for full h/l and etc for people I do out of work but at work its like ??34.50 for CBD and ??65 for full h/l so its like half the price I suppose I need to find out what other mobile hairdressers in this area charge.

I don't know how you'd remember who you charge what lol but I guess you can get away with charging people different as no one would know.

Thanks for all the info!
    xxx
  • Yeah lol, the prob have is when i have been doing a regular for ??15 for years and they recommend their friend who i then charge ??19 lol, i always wonder if they discuss it hehe.

Tbh,, i started advertising the wednesday and on the saturday i had 5 bookings and its been busy ever since. I am the only young mobile hairdresser round here as the rest i know of are older and do perms/sets etc, so when i advertised people were keen on getting this 19 year old, hip modern stylist. I got really modern leaflets/price lists made up, and cos i dont do perms etc, it attracted alot of younger people.

Just do your research ie- get diff salons price lists. And when you do your marketing think where you could advertise where people who would benefit having a mobile hairdresser, like nurseries for mums who dont want to trek their kids to salons, offices where people work 9-5 and dont have time to visit salons etc. I also did leaflet drops round doors in towns and villages, focusing on country villages where they may not have a salon etc. I advertised in shop windows, phone boxes, bus stops, i went mad! lol, But it got my name out there and it worked. I also had 'Hair @ Home By Sharon Gordon' written on my car with my phone number etc. Oh and also, sign up with yell.com and every other online advertising sites. If you put my business name into google its all me!! lol

Im goin to revamp my business in April, new leaflets, get a website, new hours, new prices etc etc. I get bored hehe!
  • Yeah lol, the prob have is when i have been doing a regular for ??15 for years and they recommend their friend who i then charge ??19 lol, i always wonder if they discuss it hehe.

Tbh,, i started advertising the wednesday and on the saturday i had 5 bookings and its been busy ever since. I am the only young mobile hairdresser round here as the rest i know of are older and do perms/sets etc, so when i advertised people were keen on getting this 19 year old, hip modern stylist. I got really modern leaflets/price lists made up, and cos i dont do perms etc, it attracted alot of younger people.

Just do your research ie- get diff salons price lists. And when you do your marketing think where you could advertise where people who would benefit having a mobile hairdresser, like nurseries for mums who dont want to trek their kids to salons, offices where people work 9-5 and dont have time to visit salons etc. I also did leaflet drops round doors in towns and villages, focusing on country villages where they may not have a salon etc. I advertised in shop windows, phone boxes, bus stops, i went mad! lol, But it got my name out there and it worked. I also had 'Hair @ Home By Sharon Gordon' written on my car with my phone number etc. Oh and also, sign up with yell.com and every other online advertising sites. If you put my business name into google its all me!! lol

Im goin to revamp my business in April, new leaflets, get a website, new hours, new prices etc etc. I get bored hehe!

I def think you should go for it, start planning now, also visit business gateway for info, if you have one down your way, they really helped me.

Sharon xxx

[Modified by: xxMrsJohnstonexx on November 07, 2008 06:41 PM]