Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Shingles

I am 24 weeks pg and my mil has just announced she has shingles! does anyone know if you can get this when pg? I know i had chickenpox as a child if that makes any difference.xxx

Replies

• I have just got over shingles and was told there was no risk to the baby.
    If you had chicken pox as a child you can't catch it again from you're MIL. Don't worry.

23+4
  • Thanks hun i have been waiting to see if my two los catch chickenpox as they havent had it yet and then i started to panic that i would get it! i feel so much better now xxx
  • Hi,

This link states that you can catch chickenpox from a person with shingles, but only if you haven't had chickenpox before- you can't catch shingles:

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23068820/

Other sites say the same.

As you've had chickenpox before you should be immune to it, but you can ask your Dr to do a blood test to check your immunity xx

[Modified by: Niblet on November 13, 2008 08:55 PM]

• If you have had chicken pox before then you should be fine. Amy had chicken pox 2 weeks ago & Zara has them at the minute & I called the drs just to be on the safe side & they told me to come in for a blood test to check immunity & put my mind at ease. I turned out to be immune as I had thought anyway.
  • However... if your MIL is a bit of a nightmare (most are in my experience) it could be a convenient way of avoiding her.

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa! (Evil laugh)

B x
  • hahahahahaha you must know her then!!! No not really she is ok most of the time but oh my god when there is something wrong with her!!!!! at the moment she keeps showing everyone her shingles (not a pretty sight) and her tablets that she has to take and telling everyone how terrible she feels but she wont let it get her down! blooming drama queen! xxx
  • hi there leigh...how are you doing?? Can not beleive you are over half way there ! lovely! Do you know what you are having???
    My lo has hand foot and mouth. Not too bad but she has been grouchy for few days and has blisters on her feet, hands and in her mouth. Bless. Charlie just turned 3 and he got his fingers trapped in a heavy door which caused him all sorts of pain. Bless him!!!
    Hope your lot ok..

d xxx
  • hi there leigh...how are you doing?? Can not beleive you are over half way there ! lovely! Do you know what you are having???
    My lo has hand foot and mouth. Not too bad but she has been grouchy for few days and has blisters on her feet, hands and in her mouth. Bless. Charlie just turned 3 and he got his fingers trapped in a heavy door which caused him all sorts of pain. Bless him!!!
    Hope your lot ok..

d xxx
  • My eldest daughter (whos 13) had shingles the week i found out i was pregnant and doc told Dh that she had to stay away from pregnant women!!!!!
    I was only 5+5 so ended up at docs doing a blood test (after arguing with doc that i really hadnt ever had chick pox despite my 2 daughters having it when they were much younger!!) after DH shouted at him he gave me a blood test and told me it would be 2 weeks before i got the results!! This was on the friday, by monday morning i had emergency phone call from another doc in the surgery who told me i had no immunity and i MUST have an injection immediately!! This had to be collected from the hospital after being made by microbiology... as very rare! and althou it bloody hurt it was worth the smug glarey i told you so look i gave the doc who was refusing to test me!!
    Unfortunately I ended up having the jabs again at 17wks as my godson had been in contact with kiddies that had come down with chick pox ..thankfully he hasnt yet contracted it... the jabs only last 12wks!! and it hurt alot more this time round!!

So to round all that up I would have a word with your midwife/doc just to be sure

Jacki 23+4