Forum home Babies Baby

I was right along...why didnt the Dr listen to me?

As you know, my poor little boy has had a chesty cough since september! I have been backwards and forwards to the Doctors god know how many times.

Last night he was so poorly, wheezing and he coughed pretty much solidly for an hour. it was awful. i rang out of hours n they just said take him to the Drs today...so i did.

He has diagnosed him with asthma and has given him an inhaler AND STEROIDS! Poor little thing. when he breathes, its fast and his chest sucks in under his ribs. Dr said thats cos he is trying harder to breathe. :\(

I am so relieved something has finally been done. I knew something was wrong! Why dont Drs listen to baby;s mummys? :\? xxxx

[Modified by: 2peez~in~a~pod on 22 November 2008 08:43:21 ]

Replies

• Bless him that must of been awful for you both!! We went to docs today for the same thing and got given an inhaler first time so now im eling pretty lucky i didnt get an arrogant dr like u!! Hope hes better soon xx
  • Poor little mite. I'm surprised that the doctor has diagnosed asthma. Normally they won't do this until they are at least 5 years old. The reason i raise this is because my LO (8mths) had been the same since August. Dr gave her an inhaler in October but a couple of weeks ago she got much worse and i ended up taking her to A&E. She had bronchilitis and ended up being admitted overnight for oxygen therapy.

Please check out the link below:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7698296.stm

If your LO is still poorly and wheezy i'd be inclined to take him to A&E to rule this out. I'm sorry if i worry you but i had exactly the same problems with my GP and it really frustrates me when they don't listen to the mums!

Hope he's feeling much better soon xxx
  • i get they feeling they just think we are all a bunch of paranoid nut jobs especialy the male doctors.
    it took till my son was well over 6 months old before the were willing to even consider the fact that my son was alergic to milk. then it took months for them to find a milk that he could drink with out being ill. the thing was 1 had been telling them that this was probably what the problem was from when he was 2 weeks old as 90% of both mine and hubbys family had this problem as babies x

To get them to listen i had to call the out of hours doctors and they told me to take him in so i did, but what i also done was feed him on the way there so when we got into the docs room he started throwing it all back up it was only then that they listend to me, they though there was nothing wrong with him as every time i took him in he was full of smiles

[Modified by: JodieBuckley on November 22, 2008 09:06 AM]

• im lucky i normaly just call my sister if there is a problme as she is a medic, i also double check with her after i have been to the doc as i just dont trust them.
    the doc i had in england prescribed medication to my friends little one, and one night he was realy bad so his mum called NHS24 and when she told them what he was taking the told her to stop giving him the stuff as the amount the doc had prescribed was enough to kill the kid.
    another friend took her son to see the same doc as he had climbed out of his cot and his head was bleeding the doc said it was fine and just to take him home and clean it with warm water still worried she took him to A&E and the wee boy needed stitches
  • im lucky i normaly just call my sister if there is a problme as she is a medic, i also double check with her after i have been to the doc as i just dont trust them.
    the doc i had in england prescribed medication to my friends little one, and one night he was realy bad so his mum called NHS24 and when she told them what he was taking the told her to stop giving him the stuff as the amount the doc had prescribed was enough to kill the kid.
    another friend took her son to see the same doc as he had climbed out of his cot and his head was bleeding the doc said it was fine and just to take him home and clean it with warm water still worried she took him to A&E and the wee boy needed stitches