Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

i can't stop worrying about him.

Sam has a speech assessment on Wednesday which my health visitor made. She said its because he's a quiet wee boy. He's 13 months old and I thought he was just a happy content, quiet little boy. He makes 'baby' noises and a month ago or so he learnt to say "dada" but he has stopped saying it now. I am getting really worried about him, what if there is something wrong with his speech? I have also noticed he stares into space when we are out in the buggy, Its like hes transfixed on something, is this normal for when out in the buggy? Other than that he is perfectly happy and content. I can't help worrying (as we do) and feel it's my fault he isn't talking more - I am getting over pnd and have never really chatted to him alot I suspect this is somehow down to the pnd and Im am feeling so guilty. He also has the mmr jag and 3rd pneumo jag on Wednesday too and I have been crying in bed tonight because I don't want to put him through the initial pain or have him unwell afterwards. He has been through enough...We have had to move to the middle of no where until January and we dont get out much and I feel so sorry for him and incredibly guilty we cant do more. We have no transport and the nearest bus stop is a good hours walk away. I have let him down enough without putting him through the jags but I know he needs them. I feel like this speech thing is all my fault and now with the jags on top of it Im a guilty wreck and I keep getting these pangs of guilt and utter love and I dont know how to make things better for him. He deserves so much better.

Im sorry if none of that made sense, its 2am and Ive been crying for a couple of hours in bed and I just needed to get it off my chest xx

Replies

• aww hun,, dont be upset im sure he's just taking it all in, you sound like you have been through it so dont feel guilty, im sure u are doing your best n to have pnd much make you feel worse. Im sure he will get there, my son took ages to walk but talked all the time, every baby is different.

i know what you mean bout jabs i had caitlin my youngest 5 months 3rd set of jabs n she was so poorly she went to hospital n i felt awful but as you said they do need them, maybe you could ask doc to put them off until you feel he will be able to cope n you will.

sending big hugs n i hope today you feel a little better x take care x

Tracey n kids x
  • As hard as it is, try not to get too upset about it. Try and think really positively. Your little boy is probaby happy and content if you think he is! Sometimes boys are lazy and don't want to get going until after they hit puberty! i'm sure he's absolutely fine - and if he's not you just have to think that you gotta get it sorted out so he can catch up. No worries! Xxx
  • i wouldnt worry about it babe both of my older two had these assesments and there was nothing wrong they were doing things in the right order just slower than normal kids, and buy the time my son got to school age he was caught up with all the other kids.
    All i was told to do was talk to him about anything and everything, tell them what every little thing is as you walk past it or look at it. read to them as much as you can, and when they point at things asking for them tell them what it is they want a few times.
    Health visitors tend to send the little ones for these assesments just to be on the safe side, and also because it can take months for apointments to come through so its better to start looking into it early as if there is a problem you dont want to have to weight .
  • HI Hun,
    Don't be upset. My nephew didn't say his first proper word until he was 3 years old. He had a statement of educational needs at school and was provided with a speech therapist 3 times a week until he was 10. They never did really figure out why he had problems speaking as he has above average intellegence, they said it was like a form of verbal dyslexia. He is now 13 and doing really well in school. He still stumbles a little bit over his words especially when excited but it hasn't really effected him overwise. I'm sure Sam is fine, if he is anything like my nephew you won't be able to shut him up once he gets going! image

Please don't blame yourself though - we used to talk to my nephew all the time and it didn't make any difference, I think it's just one of those things. All the best with the assessment.
    Steph
  • Thanks for your kind replies lady. Im feeling much better about his jags. As for his speech I have been talking to him loads today (oh was getting annoyed with me repeating myself when he was trying to have a nap lol) I am trying not to worry. I need to get wednesday over and done with. I'll let you now how it goes no doubt lol xx
  • Good luck for weds then! Lily didn't say much until after she turned one, she was into her babbling and that was it, but she suddenly started using a few words and now she never stops lol! She's 19 months now. I think they all just get there in their own time.

xxx