Forum home Babies Baby

How much food?

Hi Girlies,

I started weaning Barney last week (I think he is 21 weeks today), started with baby rice and have now moved onto veg puree's. He absolutely loves it but he seems to be eating quite a lot and I just wondered how much you gave your lo's to start with. I'm using the Annabel Karmel frezer trays and he has just eaten two full cubes for lunch (about 3 big tablespoons) and then moaned when it had all gone!!! I know he won't eat more than he can manage but I'm just wondering if I should try and give him a bit less so he still takes enough milk. What do you guys think?

Kerry xx

Replies

• Just worked it out and he is actually 22 weeks today
    xx
  • It's a tough one - I always restricted Gabe's portions a bit cos I didnt want him to drop bottles too soon but now at 28 weeks he still cries for his milk and doesn't seem hugely interested in food (though does like it).
    Well from today I am giving him bigger portions (about the same as what Barney is eating with a little bit of pudding). Normally he would only have 1 1/2 tbsp of food (or 3 normal sized ice cubes - not the AK ones). So - not very much at all - he wakes in the night sometimes and lately he has refused his last bottle, so I think he is filling up on milk too much.
    Sorry for RAMBLING but basically I have gone the other way - given not enough food cos i was so worried he would go off milk! I would give Barney however much he wants (but probably stop if he starts wanting a 3 course adult-sized meal!!!)
    In my red book it says just to breast feed on demand however much food they are taking. xx
  • I started weaning Zac last week too Kerry and he seems to be eating loads as well - but he always has been a hungry baby! lol

he too is on pureed veg and I give it after a bottle so he is still having a decent amount of milk...

I think the hardest thing is knowing the quatities as i guess every baby is different!

xx
  • I started weaning Zac last week too Kerry and he seems to be eating loads as well - but he always has been a hungry baby! lol

he too is on pureed veg and I give it after a bottle so he is still having a decent amount of milk...

I think the hardest thing is knowing the quatities as i guess every baby is different!

xx
  • you could use some ebm to mix it with hon so he gets more milk if you're worried. Blimey hes a little piglet! Reiss has 2 of the AK cubes of savoury and 2 of fruit and hes been weaned for time!xx
  • Cheers girls
    He still seems hungry for his milk at the min so I'll carry on and see what happens! Not sure if I'd manage to express anything and the minute as my food posioning didn't do great things for my milk supply and it is still recovering!
    I think he is just a pig. My big bro was apparantly the same and he ended up 6ft 5in so I think I am going to end up with a VERY big boy lol
    xx