Forum home Babies Breast & bottle feeding
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

cracked nipple ouch!

Hi, Ive got a pretty big 'crack' on the underside of my nipple - it kind of looks like a paper cut. Ive been using lanisoh (sp?) but was wondering if any of you have any tips on easing the pain?
Its absolute agony when Connor first latches and then moderate pain during the feed and after, I could cry everytime he feeds!

Gill
xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi
    I also had cracked nipples, i used kamillosan which i found was brill really eased them. I also used a nipple shield, the problem i had was she was not latching on so the shield made her work for it and after using it for a couple of feeds she was fine and i healed up. Another tip that the mw give me was not to let your nipples dry up keep them well moistured with cream and this really helped also.
    Hope this helps x
  • Options
    thankyou both may have to buy some nipple shields!
    xx
  • Options
    ok great thankyou sarah soo much! its horrible dreading feeding time
    xxx
  • Options
    Just wanted to suggest that the nipple shields are fab for badly cracked nipples, but think about which one to get, I tried the boots own brand which I couldnt feed baby through at all, but found the Avent ones which I got from mothercare brilliant, so have a go and if one doesnt work for you try another one - baby should get the hang of it after a few goes, they have to suck enough to get milk into it in the first place before they can start feeding properly, and this can take a few tries to get the hang of.
    Good luck and stick with it, it is worth it (I am currently feeding no 2 and this time have had no problems at all after pain and cracks with first, so all I can say is that there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel!)
    Jen
  • Options
    It may not work but it helped with my cracked nipples was after lo had finished feeding i squeezed a bit of milk and left it on the nipple to air dry which helped mine heal along with using lansinoh.
    I used to dread every feed in the early days because it was so toe curling but it does get much better x
  • Options
    Hi i found a shield with my pump so have been using that, will try rubbing milk on it too thankyou all for te replies its very much appreciated.
    When you ladies had cracked nipples how long did it take to heal?
  • Options
    Mine only took a few days to heal but i think that was because i caught them before they got to bad
  • Options
    ok thanks, called my hv out to check my latch and she says it perfect so its probbly down to falling asleep feeding at night - gotta stop ein lazy i guess! lol