Forum home Babies Baby

Baby carriers??

Who has a baby carrier & what do you use it for?? I have a cheap one from Lidl and I HATE it. So I am thinking of getting a new one, one that will last. I'm looking at the Ergo carrier which looks sooo easy, can go back, hip or front carry and lasts up to 5 years old! It is expensive (??78 new!!!) but they have cheaper on Ebay and my grandma offered to buy Gabe a new pram but as I like mine, I might ask for this.

I was just wondering if I will get the use out of it though. I am thinking it will be easy to have Gabe in a sling, once he's in his 9+ months carseat and I will have to keep moving him from carseat to pushchair all the time (he cries when put down!). He is also showing signs of seperation anxiety....so could be helpful with that.

How often do you use yours?? xx

Replies

• Personally I don't like the more structured carriers, I prefer a more traditional ring sling like these www.freedomslings.co.uk I use mine loads for Barney, I can put it on and get him in in less than a minute so it is great just for carrying him around if he is grumpy. I can still carry Millie in it as well, although she doesn't really approve of being carried, prefers to walk, so I don't do that often!
    xx
  • I too wasn't sure about the structured carriers either but I have watched the videos on how to put this one on and it looks sooo simple! (not like the one I have now where the leg holes are so tiny it takes 5 minutes and a mirror to get him in it!)xx
  • Iv got a carrier that I used loads when Tyler was first born coz I was avoiding pushing the double buggy. It was great but after a while my shoulders and back ached (prob needed adjusting)

Then I got a freedom sling off of Tammi and it was fab - you get an instruction CD ROM telling you how to tie it ect. I havnt used it for a while coz of the weather - thats the only downfall to slings and carriers

But they were both great. xx
  • Iv got a carrier that I used loads when Tyler was first born coz I was avoiding pushing the double buggy. It was great but after a while my shoulders and back ached (prob needed adjusting)

Then I got a freedom sling off of Tammi and it was fab - you get an instruction CD ROM telling you how to tie it ect. I havnt used it for a while coz of the weather - thats the only downfall to slings and carriers

But they were both great. xx
  • I loved using Eoin in his, great exercise for me !!!! Only downside was the pressure on his 'bum'.....'nappy area' made the nappy a bit damp rather quickly (ie- making his trousers damp)! But overall I used it alot!!
  • i bought one as charlie was early and my pram hadnt arrived yet so needed something so i could get out and about for a few days till it arrived. but i used it as liitle as i could i never feel safe using them, especialy after 3 years ago when a woman trip while her baby was in the sling and she crushed the baby to death when she fell
  • I did look at the BabyBjorn but it is only suitable to 22lb (i think - correct me if I'm wrong!) and Gabe is 7 months old and nearly 20lb, though he is gaining slowly now.
    IlovemyGeek, what do you dress Lily in when you take her out in this weather? A snowsuit? xx
  • I have a baby bjorn, mainly we use it when we go shopping and lo loves being in it - I must check the weight bit though as will be a shame when we cant use it anymore!
  • I have the baby bjorn as ti was recommended on here, I have the 2nd cheapest (back support) I highly recommend it. I have used it for the past 4 mths and not used the pushchair. very easy to use, put her in something warm and use an umbrella when raining. Easier than having a pushchair and raincover.

Tigerlily...only disadv i would personally say looking at the photos online. Can he look forward when the baby carrier is on your chest? My lo hated me using teh car seat on pushchair/tesco trolley as couldn't see what I could see facing forward. I dont hear a peep from her in the baby carrier. Either taking everything in or fallen asleep. I can also constantly talk to her. I also find it good for my posture.

I've just checked. Its max 26lb. I brought it when lo was about 9lb and shes about 16-17lb now. So I know mine is going to have plenty of use. xxx
  • oh i love my slings/carriers! Zach didn't like the cradle slings so he was in a Wilkinet until his legs got too long and would hit off mine when walking!

http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/guarantee/index.htm?gclid=CP7L0ZShsZcCFQ6IMAodvSoujQ

So i got a Mei Tai and love it! I can't wait for Molly to get a bit bigger so she can go in it! Zach is about 9 months in pic. It crosses at the back so even outs the weight. It does seem complicated to put on at first but once you get the hang of it it is really easy.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/el_pinko/n621200024_238422_8831-1.jpg

http://www.funkyslings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=69

Molly on the other hand loves the cradle sling so i got one custom made off etsy. She falls asleep in it almost straight away and i can get on with the house work and BE of course :lol:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/el_pinko/n621200024_1545328_6907-1.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=8877583

I love babywearing!

I hope this helps, x

[Modified by: el_pinko on December 08, 2008 03:04 PM]

• i bought one from asda it was 12 pounds and i was out and about my mum brought her bulky carseat and i had not planned on being out for long but hey ho.

So now i use it all the time so easy and fleecy and picked robbie up from school and put caitlin in that and she was asleep for the whole trip lol, i put fleecy blankets, obviously coat on her etc and she was the warmest out of all of us.

Plus added bonus i breastfed her in woolworths with it and noone saw so i think they are a great idea x
  • i just found another pic. I gave my sil my purple wilkinet when she had her baby (3 weeks in pic) and Zach is 16 months still in his Mei Tai!

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn79/el_pinko/n621200024_586036_6085-1.jpg

• i have a freedom sling and i have used it loads, freya hated the pushchair when sh was little so she went everywhere in it. but i still use it alot now for walking the dog ect. she loves it. she is nearly 9 months and about 18lb but i can still carry her easily.
    you can also bf in it and no one can tell, hehe. x
  • I have a babybjorn and I love it. Now Phoebe is bigger she loves facing outwards so she can interact with people. WE recently bought a cover for it from John Lewis which is great as it keeps her super cosy without dressing her in hundreds of layers.
  • hi em, what do you mean by a cover? sounds like a gd idea. I love mine and so does lo.
  • Fab pics el_pinko!

You are right, the one I'm looking at doesnt face out. However I can't really imagine having Gabe in that position, as I couldnt see him! In the carrier I've got now, he does like facing in and having a cuddle (is a cuddly baby lately!).

xxx