Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

how much movement shoudl i feel at 25 weeks?

Hi ladies,

I'm 24+5 weeks, and haven't really noticed a pattern in my baby's moving! Some days it's really active, and others it's pretty quiet! All weekend it was really active, and yesterday but today I've only had the odd kick here and there! Is this normal at this stage of pregnancy?

I keep reading that you should feel a pattern but when should you feel a pattern? also I'm sure I read somewhere that you shold feel it 6 times in an hour, at what stage does that happen?

Thanks,

C. X

Replies

• Hi there, Im 24+2 and I'm also thinking about my babies movement alot recently, as got a midwife appointment on Thursday morning so I'm going to talk to her about it then,I'll let you know what she says.

My baby has quite active days but then quieter others, looking at my notes they say I have an anterior placenta, which I know from others on here can stop you feeling alot of movement. I'm just a bit worried that my baby doesn't move enough as even when I would say its active its not 'that' active I dont think, but then this is my first so I have no idea whats normal and whats not, which is more worrying I suppose.

Just wanted to let you know I'm very similiar and at almost exactly the stage. xxxx
  • hi hun well its a hard question cos movement is so different for everyone and also different midwifes say different things , i would say as long as u feel baby moving a couple of hours at a time thats ok even if just small movements , i think its after 28 weeks u should have a pattern and if less that 10 episodes of movement in 12 hours then to get checked, i was feelin quite alot at 25 weeks but others dont , if u are at all worried do not hesistate to contact ure midwife and get her to have a listen in though sorry not much help ....lisa xxxxxx
  • I think it's all the same.. i'm 25=2. sometimes it's on & off all day then some days it'll just be as i'm relaxing or bed time.
    Sure your midwife'll agree. We won't be complaining when it really finds its feet elbows & fists
  • I'm 25+4 and was told by my midwife at 24 week appointment that movements can be incredibly erratic which is why most hospitals don't tell you to chart how many times you feel your baby move until 28 weeks.

Mine has quiet days when I tend to get a bit worried but I find that lying down makes him move as does drinking coke!

xx
  • Im currently 30+3 and I remember reading other people saying they were noticing a pattern at 24 weeks. I couldn't at all. Baby would be really quiet for anything up to a week and then It would kick me all day. I did get a little worried at one point cause I didnt feel anything for over 24 hours then it started to make my belly move with the force of the kicks!!

Since 28 weeks its been much more regular. Not so much a pattern but I feel baby most evenings. The movements change. Now its less kicks but more general movement. I can see bits of my belly expand when baby moves!

6 times in a hour is alot of movement. I dont feel that much even now. If you are worried speak to your midwife as each area seems to have a different policy. My midwife just asks if Im feeling movements, she has never asked how many. I dont feel as many movements if I am more active i.e. out shopping.

Hope this helps

Emma image
  • I'm 24 + 3 and some days - especially if i'm really busy I don't feel much movement at all but other days baby seems to be extremely active! Think it must vary from day to day!

dg
    xxx
  • I'm 26 weeks, the only pattern to movements I have is baby kicks most when I'm relaxed sat/lay down. Some days shes quiet and others shes doing gymnastics.
  • I had this query too as she is usually quite active but then I had one day where I felt nothing at all heard her heartbeat though so assumed all was fine. Anyway saw midwife yesterday who said you should feel around ten movements in a twenty four hour period but she also said baby is usually going to be most active when we are asleep so try not to panic. I usually find if I have a nice warm bath she then becomes very active when I get out.

MrsW
  • I think that your baby is asleep for about 14 hours a day, as a result 6 moves in an hour wouldn't make sense 'cause your little bean is snoozing for 14 of them in a day! I don't know but 10 in 24 sounds much more likely. In terms of patterns, our little bean bubbles around quite a lot normally, but she had a really quite weekend - we were rather worried (not least because my OH had been messing around and had been leaning on my knees which were pressed against my bump - despite my protestations...he said but I was leaning against your lets, and I had to point out that those were up against my bump! He was devestated when he realised). But anyway, she was moving, but not as much as usual, but then on Monday, when I was back to my more normal routine at work, she spent the whole day having football practice or something. The point is, that I'm 28+3 and movements are still different from day to day...but there are some very general patterns, but these are only really beginning to emerge now I think.

Point being, don't worry, as some of the other girls have said, if there is nothing at all for 24 hours go to get it checked, but if it is up and down, I think that is very normal.

Ally x
  • Saw my midwife this morning and she said as long as Im feeling something everyday then not to worry as baby isn't in a routine yet. She said by 28 weeks baby should be starting to get into a bit of a pattern with their movements so to try and get used to what is usual for your baby as they are all different. She didn't say anything about 10 movements in 24hrs though, maybe as I have an anterior placenta its different. She did say that after 28 weeks if you dont feel anything for 24 hrs then ring up and they will monitor you and the baby for a bit. xxxx
  • I'm 24 w 2 d and not feeling movements.. Felt fluttering between 16-21 weeks but now not much or nothing. This is my first. I'm a little concerned at the lack of movement.
  • Have u spoke to midwife? I'm 23+1 and feel quite a lot but this is my 2nd. With my first I didn't feel much till later on. Maybe worth asking ur midwife for advice x

• Hi ladies! I'm 30 weeks and iv only just started to notice a pattern! And it's mainly of a night! I'm quite active in the day so don't tend to feel him that much but as soon as I relax he's wriggling all over the place! The position of your placenta may take a lot of the impact of kicks and punches! Mine is across the front so I didn't feel him move for a while! Xx
  • im 25 weeks and 5day and my babys movements have slowed down also my placenta is at the front and they said because of that it could be why i dont feel baby move around alot .. but ive been hospital all week as i was worried about her movements and they said her heartbeat is normal ive got a CTG on tuesday due to babys movements

• Late reply (by a few years!) But thought I'd add as people will keep looking this up. I found something by an OB/GYN (America) saying "After 28 weeks, your baby should move at least 6 times an hour once a day. The baby does not need to move 6 times EVERY hour, but he should have one active hour each day"