Forum home Babies Baby

milk protein intolerance- what weaning foods??

Hi was looking at all the baby foods today for when i wean max and nearly all of them contain milk protein and milk etc??? wat do i feed him??

Replies

• it would have to be home cooked stuff then surely to ensure it doesn't have any milk/milk protein in!?
  • Hi hun, Kade is allergic to all dairy products so I tend to just try and make most of his meals myself. If recipes say use milk, butter etc I use the soya alternatives. We use the alpro soya yogurts a lot.
    I always have some jars/mico meals in as back up that I use if I am in a hurry or go out but always check the label. The hipp ones are good as always show you what they are free of.

It can be a pain in the arse but you'll soon get used to looking for the right things in the supermarket :\)
  • I made all sonnys food in the beginning, mostly pureed veg & then later some chicken pureed in too. I found annabell karmel cookbook for toddlers & babies invaluble.

Going out was always a prob though till I found Ellas Kitchen & the Plum ranges.

Both not cheap if lo is on 3 meals a day of it but if you home cook most things, like brekkie & dinner & then give one of the shop bought for lunch it isn't that expensive.

Totally dairy & everything else free. it has only the fruit & veg it says on the lable, they dont' even add water.

My son loved every single one of each range & I used them right up until he reached 15 months for his lunch as he would only start to eat sandwiches then.

For cereal Plum do a super energy porridge & they have it in different flavour. Be awar that many ranges claim to be dairy free but inludde other food stuffs which also include lactose not to mentione being packed with sugar, salt & variopus colourings, just check out the labels!! So I never went near heinz, cow & gate, hipp etc for jarred food cause plum & ellas are the only 2 that are totally really dairy free on all varities.

For snacks, Boots own brand rusks are 100% dairy free & those carrot & sweetcorn crisp like snacks are good too.

Most home made recipes can be adapted to use unsweetened soya milk or rice milk & alpro soy do yogurts & vanilla puddings which my lo loves & has one every day still & buy PURE range sunflower or soya spread instead of butter or margerine. The jelly by little stars is dairy free too.

Really, life without dairy is really not hard, just takes a bit more planning but not much.

[Modified by: Beebee on December 12, 2008 08:45 AM]

• i had to make all of justins myself for the same reason x
  • does the anabel karmel siye have things that u can use? i love that site sooo much have just ordered her book of 100 baby puree recipies!!

http://www.annabelkarmel.com/

not sure if it has any but still as great weaning recipies and info on it! xx
  • There are lots on her website & nearly everythign can be adapted for a dairy free diet, only thing I gave up on was cheese sauces. The dairy free stuff is gross & expensive
  • I make everything for Ellie but I have found plum baby porridge & boots own organic museli & most of boots own organic range such as their rice cakes & rusks are all dairy free which is great.
    They cant have pasta but sainsburys do dairy free one in their 'free from' range which is good & they can have rice to bulk meals out a bit xx
  • it wasnt on the list of bad foods from Sonnys dietician either & he has alwasy had normal pasta chopped up small.
  • Thanks for your replies ladies, dr has reffered me to dietician to help me with food etc, also said the nesquick thing isnt too bad just risk of tooth decay but said as they will be his first teeth shouldnt be too bad. My local shops only sell, cow and gate, heinze and hipp organic foods, where can i get the foods you mention from?? thanks xx
  • Thanks for your replies ladies, dr has reffered me to dietician to help me with food etc, also said the nesquick thing isnt too bad just risk of tooth decay but said as they will be his first teeth shouldnt be too bad. My local shops only sell, cow and gate, heinze and hipp organic foods, where can i get the foods you mention from?? thanks xx
  • saisburyt, tesco, asda, waitrose all stock plum & ellas kitchen. Boots also stock Plum but never seem ellas kitchen in the ones near me.