Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Being thick - please help!

Hey everyone, Im just about to order a photo mug for my dad and hubby from Charlie but i don't know if it should be Grandad's mug/ Grandads mug and Daddys mug/ Daddy's mug (with or without apostraphes? (sp?))

Replies

• Options
    WITH apostrophes! Daddy's and Grandad's cups, cos they belong to daddy and grandad!

• Options
    the theory is that you use an apostophe when you shorten a word.....but......dont quote me on it as I'm not sure what i's put!
  • Options
    see, i've been proven wrong already lol
  • Options
    LOL! I only know because I studied English for so long :lol:

xxx
  • Options
    Apostrophes are used for possession ("Grandad's mug") and omission ("they're" instead of "they are").

They're never used for plurals ("bananas for sale" is correct, "banana's for sale" is not).

I am a punctuation fiend, I am so boring about it :lol:
  • Options
    PTB, I'm also a punctuation fiend lol! The most annoying one I've seen is potatoe's!!

xxx
  • Options
    OH GOD don't get me started :x

Right am going to stop there as I don't want people thinking I'm looking down on anyone because they're not as anally retentive about the English language as I am :roll:
  • Options
    Pinktoothbrush - my hubby is like you! He hates it when he sees punctuation mistakes, but then it is his job I guess! I always get him to check for me as he makes me paranoid!
    xxx
  • Options
    Sean's (is that right? :lol: ) best mate is like that too hehe! i wind him up tho and spell everything wrong on purpose, he hates xmas and always corrects people to christmas! lol x
  • Options
    i only type xmas cuz i'm lazy :lol: