Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How long awake?

Morning ladies!
Been so busy recentley with xmas and everything I just havent had a chance to get on. Hope your all well?
How long is your baby awake for during the day? I'm not complainng but Theo is such a sleepy baby. He gets up and within an hour wants a sleep and then for the rest of the day the maximum time he wants to stay awake is about an hour and a half before he wants an hour-hour and a half nap. I know that I'm really lucky to have a baby that sleeps well but compared to all my friends babies he seems so much more sleepy. He is 4 months and finaly seems to be going through the night (touch wood, last night he woke at 3:30 for food). He's also not particularly happy when hes awake, he's ok for about half an hour but after that he gets grissley again. I try playing with him, changing him but he just wants to be put down so he can go to sleep! The weird thing is, during the day you can put him down and within 10 minutes he's asleep but at bedtime it takes me about an hour to get him off!
He's on a really good 4 hour feeding rotuine, he takes 7-8oz every 4 hours.
Any advice?? Should he want this much sleep at 4 months?
xxxx

Replies

• Oooh lucky you. I wouldn't worry at all, let him sleep how much he likes! Gabe is 7 1/2 months and can't really stay awake longer than 2 hours, 3 at a push. Well, he can, but gets mega grumpy. xx
  • Louise is 5 months and when we're at home she can stake awake for up to 2 hours, when out it can be alot longer as she wants to stay awake and see whats happening all the time!

I wouldn't worry as he needs lots of sleep as he's doing lots of growing and learning.
  • I would enjoy it while you can.
    Nathan used to go 2-3 hours before needing a sleep, up to about 6 1/2 months. Then he would nap for between half hour, and one and a half hours.
    The last month his routine has changed and now he will be awake for at least 3 hours, maximum 5. He only has 2 naps, one before lunch and one after, usually they both last about an hour. He will somethimes get a bit grumpy after a couple of hours but can be distracted out of it normally, if not he'll have an extra nap but if he sleeps too much in the day he wakes by 5.30am. Now he'll normally go till half 6 but still has the occasional early rise!

xxxx
  • Lily goes about 2 and a half hours before she needs a nap. If we are out she can stay awake longer as she is nosey! She has a nap about 9.30am, 1pm and then again about 3.30pm.
    x
    xx
  • Lily goes about 2 and a half hours before she needs a nap. If we are out she can stay awake longer as she is nosey! She has a nap about 9.30am, 1pm and then again about 3.30pm.
    x
    xx
  • millie has a nap around 11am ( gets up at 9.30ish) then another around 2 and another around 5 most her naps last 30mins-1 hour. if we r out she tries to fight it which can be a nightmare as she wil then get too tired and start getting whingy then end up crying cos shes tired!
  • Connor gets up at 10.30 and has an hour at 12.30/1 then a couple of 15min naps during the day before sleep at 11, he does seem pretty advanced for his age though and gets bored very easily
    xxx