Forum home Babies Baby

Feeding routine 6 month old ....

Hiya Ladies

Just wondered how much I should be giving Lily to eat. I did speak to the HV last week (not my usual one) and she was so unhelpful. I don't think she understood what I meant and ended up telling me about how to make custard!

Lily is 6 months and has porridge for breakfast but only about 3-4 teaspoons at the most. At lunchtime she has a puree of some kind - have given vegetables, caulilfower pasta, chicken etc but only ever takes about 3-4 teaspoons. She has tea and only has the same amount again.

My questions are (lol):
1. How much should she eat?
2. What else can I give her to eat?
3. Should I give her everthing as mush still?
4. Should I give her a pudding after her lunch and tea or just after one of them?

She has 4 bottles of 8oz a day too still.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really didn't get anywhere with my HV and she made me really confused by telling me to give Lily a 'mini' version of what we eat at teatime.

Thank you lovely ladies!

Louise.

Replies

• Thanks Katie! She was MAD! She went on about me giving Lily custard cos I said she wasn't a fan of her milk and screamed when we went to give it to her. She said to give her custard!!!!! Hubby's face was a picture.
    xxxx
  • hi my lo is 10 months now but i was v confused as daisy never used and still doesnt actually eat much so id like to help if i can, 32 oz s is still quite a lot of milk to be having at the top end of the 18 to 32 oz s they recommend so maybee you could cut milk intake slightly may improve her appetite. I think daisy actually gets bored too and eats better now if she can feed herself. I introduced finger foods at 5 1/2 months starting with organix fingerfood carrot stix then toast then cheese then soft fruits and vegetables and sandwhiches. Personally i would try few lumps in foods as soon as poss i waited till 7 months and struggle now but she used to gag and be sick and i hated the drama,
    i used to give a bottle first thing then about hour later 1/2 weetabix with 2oz formula and 2 cubes pear puree to sweeten for breakfast . then a bottle about 1130 lunch at 1 she would have about half a jar or few cubes and i allways offered a pudding after lunch and dinner sometimes she would eat all pudding sometimes she wouldnt want it. bottle 4ish and tea 6 ish same as lunch supper 7.30 before bed which is fruit puree 2 teaspoons rice and 1oz milk (i do this as daisy has reflux and not allowed milk at bedtime) i think if you start to introduce finger foods you may start up another interest in food and allows you to eat your meal. As long as she is putting on weight she must be eating enough.
  • hi my lo is 10 months now but i was v confused as daisy never used and still doesnt actually eat much so id like to help if i can, 32 oz s is still quite a lot of milk to be having at the top end of the 18 to 32 oz s they recommend so maybee you could cut milk intake slightly may improve her appetite. I think daisy actually gets bored too and eats better now if she can feed herself. I introduced finger foods at 5 1/2 months starting with organix fingerfood carrot stix then toast then cheese then soft fruits and vegetables and sandwhiches. Personally i would try few lumps in foods as soon as poss i waited till 7 months and struggle now but she used to gag and be sick and i hated the drama,
    i used to give a bottle first thing then about hour later 1/2 weetabix with 2oz formula and 2 cubes pear puree to sweeten for breakfast . then a bottle about 1130 lunch at 1 she would have about half a jar or few cubes and i allways offered a pudding after lunch and dinner sometimes she would eat all pudding sometimes she wouldnt want it. bottle 4ish and tea 6 ish same as lunch supper 7.30 before bed which is fruit puree 2 teaspoons rice and 1oz milk (i do this as daisy has reflux and not allowed milk at bedtime) i think if you start to introduce finger foods you may start up another interest in food and allows you to eat your meal. As long as she is putting on weight she must be eating enough.
  • they say from 6 months u should try and give them what u eat pureed ( aslong as u eat healthy i guess no salt! lol) millies nearly 18 weeks and just started on solids sometimes she east alot and other days shes not bothered that much! she will let u know when shes had enough and when she wants to eat more she will prob take less milk. xx
  • Hiya

Thank you all so much! She has started to not take the full bottle and on the 11am feed will leave about 3oz so was thinking of making up less milk then and on the bedtime one she usually leaves about 2 oz now.

I found what you have all said really helpful. Westbrom - will def try to give her some more lumpy stuff!

xxxx
  • Aww thank you Katie! Gracie Faye looks so cute in her bumbo. She looks really sweet and innocent! Lily loves her bumbo but she gets stuck in it as she has got chunky legs now!

x

• good post....I always forget to ask hv qu,and come on here instead!

My daughter is 8mths tomorrow (doesnt time fly,cant believe my lil baby is now my big baby!)

In the last week she has dropped a feed. Im used to her telling me when she wants a feed. Now I find her going from first thing to early pm without milk.
    I dont want to steal you thread...but how much should she be drinking water/fruit juice from beaker during day? She can take up to 50mls at lunnch.

1/2-1 weetabix with cows milk warmed for breakfast
    whole jar/equivalent of homemade meat+veg for lunch
    finger food..organix sweetcorn rings/carrot sticks (hasnt quite got chewing motion for toast today)
    1/2-1jar eqivalent of homemade veg/fruit

Pudding....I dont personally give at present as I want her to eat savory well first. Sometimes I do give her yogurt.
    I started weaning lo at 6mths.I've just started to do things less pureed, so a few lumps. I find the stage one jars just slip off her tongue.
    Give her anything...apart from soft cheese honey etc. Just before Chrismtas I started giving my lo the same food as us just pureed.She had some mild curry today and loved it. Gave her tuna yest.Going to give her chicken and mushroom pie tomorrow.
    Amount....I probably make up roughly 3tablespoon worth of food,and just keep feeding my lo until she has had enough.At first I gave her small amounts,but was advised to let her eat as much as she want so she can rely on her solids rather than milkduring day for food....if you get me.

All babies are different. Sounds like you are doing well with weaning hunny.I think we all worry when it comes to weaning.
    Im currently trying to let myself not worry and keep going with the fingerfoods! Apart from organix sticks she has to wait till hubby is home at the w/es lol! xxx
  • Thanks Naz!

I don't know how much they should drink Joey08 - asked HV this and she asked me why was I giving her a beaker with water in it!!!! I felt like I was doing something wrong! Lily will wave her beaker round her head, get water all over and take 2 or 3 sips with dinner and tea. She isn't that fussed with it in the beaker but will happily drink 1 or 2oz from a bottle.
    xxx