Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Stoke Mandeville Hospital

Hello,

Has anyone had their baby here or planning to?

I was wondering what you thought and if you know if it has a birthing pool.

xx

Replies

• I am having a baby there in April.. My friend has just given birth there. It's meant to be a very good hopsital. I had the choice of 3 and I choose that one. I can find out if there is a birthing pool if you like? When are you due? xx
  • I had my first baby there and had an awful birth but I think that was more to do with my age (I was 16) and the position of my daughter who was back to back. But I do feel the hospital let me down in some ways. I was induced 2 weeks late and once my contractions started they wouldnt let me call my mum until 11am as they were the visiting hours when my contractions started at 5am and they left me in active labour for 36 hours, then made me push for 4 even though they knew she was back to back. The end result was I was rushed to Theatre and Abby was pulled out with forceps which left me with a severe 3rd degree tear. I also felt let down by the after care, I wanted to breastfeed but Abby wouldnt latch on and after spending just 10 minutes with my the midwife told me I couldnt do it and gave her a bottle. But then they did have 2 sets of twins delievered naturally the same night I had Abby so they were very busy plus they were snowed in and alot of staff couldnt leave at the end of their shifts and new staff couldnt get in. I think it was just unfortunate circumstances that I had such a bad time there but I wouldnt go there again. I've just had my 2nd baby at the John radcliffe hospital and even though the labour was the same (I still ended up in Theatre and again, had a 3rd degree tear) I felt they looked after me better during the labour and helped me afterwards.
    I'm really sorry to give you a negative story.
    xxx
  • I had my first baby there and had an awful birth but I think that was more to do with my age (I was 16) and the position of my daughter who was back to back. But I do feel the hospital let me down in some ways. I was induced 2 weeks late and once my contractions started they wouldnt let me call my mum until 11am as they were the visiting hours when my contractions started at 5am and they left me in active labour for 36 hours, then made me push for 4 even though they knew she was back to back. The end result was I was rushed to Theatre and Abby was pulled out with forceps which left me with a severe 3rd degree tear. I also felt let down by the after care, I wanted to breastfeed but Abby wouldnt latch on and after spending just 10 minutes with my the midwife told me I couldnt do it and gave her a bottle. But then they did have 2 sets of twins delievered naturally the same night I had Abby so they were very busy plus they were snowed in and alot of staff couldnt leave at the end of their shifts and new staff couldnt get in. I think it was just unfortunate circumstances that I had such a bad time there but I wouldnt go there again. I've just had my 2nd baby at the John radcliffe hospital and even though the labour was the same (I still ended up in Theatre and again, had a 3rd degree tear) I felt they looked after me better during the labour and helped me afterwards.
    I'm really sorry to give you a negative story.
    xxx
  • Thanks carly, all stories are helpful good and bad. i'm glad you had a better experience the second time!!

Taffy, I am due in June and think I will def go with Stoke Mandeville just for convience as it's only 5 minutes away. Would love to know if they have a pool there. i imagine they do and also my midwife said they will have a brand new delivery suite by June. Hope they have it in time for you!!

xx
  • I'm having an elective c-section at the beginning of April.. Where are you mrs...d, I'm in leighton buzzard so a little bit further away than 5 mins unfortunately xx
  • I'm having an elective c-section at the beginning of April.. Where are you mrs...d, I'm in leighton buzzard so a little bit further away than 5 mins unfortunately xx