Forum home Babies Baby

Brooke stopped breathing!

Went 2 visit some family last night with my 4 week old lo n my auntie was givin brooke her feed, i asked her 2 give some gripe water 2 n put it in a syringe n gave it 2 my aunt! She gave this 2 brooke (which i have been doing 4 the past few days with no probs) n straight away she started 2 choke, stopped breathin n turned blue! I jumped the length of the living room n grabbed baby, turned her over my knee n rubbed n patted her back! i became hysterical at this point n started screamin at my mum 2 ring an ambulance! Within about a min, brooke threw up, had a coughing fit n started 2 cry! I've never been so happy 2 hear my little girl scream the place down! The ambulance came within about 5 mins n she was checked over at the hosp n was fine afterwards! Was the longest n scariest minute of my life n i was terrified! I'm so glad she's ok though n i'm bookin onto a 1st aid course 2day so i know what 2 do in the future! X

Replies

• aww hun this happened to JJ too but it was cuz he had a reaction to his injections...so scary isnt it? i've never been so happy to see him throw up!! glad all is well now though, i bet it gave ur auntie a shock too!! x
  • oh god how scary! im glad she's fine. you must of been terrified hun!
  • This happened to Ellie when she was about 5 weeks old & it was exactly the same situation I was giving her a syringe of gripe water....thankfully she just gasped & lost her breath for a few seconds but I was terrified....I'm so pleased though that Brooke is OK now xox
  • oh my god how awlful well done for thinking fast. glad she is ok sweet. big kisses from me and wade xxxxxxxxx
    gio
  • hun i now how you feel faith does this if she full of snott it is so scary just wont to send big hug to you
  • oh god how scary! It is weird how you just go into autopilot, Zach who is just 2, choked on a toy hippo and i just wacked him on his back and it flew across the room!!!! I thought i was gonna loose him to a stupid plastic hippopotamus!

I'm glad she is ok! x
  • oh god! i almost had a heart attack reading ur title! my lo is brooke too! i thought oh shit! then hang on how would she know! lol blonde or pregnancy brain moment i think! glad ur brooke is okay i remember my brooke choking on someting when seh was tiny possibly gripe water! xx
  • My goodness that must have been so scary for you, so pleased she is ok now x
  • That sounds so scary, I'm so pleased that she is ok.
  • Thanks girls, she's been an absolute angel 2day n completely back 2 normal, just my nerves that are shot! Upsy_daisy+bump, sorry if i gave u a fright, thats what we get 4 pickin an unusual name lol, ur lo has a beautiful name though x
  • Oh my god how frightening. Glad she is ok. Frankie choked when i tried to give her gripe water so now what i do is put an ounce of cooled boiled water in a bottle and put the gripe water in that. I couldnt bear the thought of her choking again!
  • Glad Brooke was ok and well done you for jumping into action-dread to think how crap I'd be!!
    Got a thing from the paper pinned up in the kitchen of two ways to get babies to breathe again but a First Aid session sounds like a very sensible idea! x