Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

OMG!!!

i have just watched britains biggest babies and brooke is officially classed as a big babe over 9.9lbs. she was 9lb 10.6oz. i only weighed about 14 stone when i had her and didnt think i was big. i have since lost 2 stone and am now just over 12 stone. they are keeping an eye on the babies growth this time to try and avoid another big baby!
im really paranoid now after watching that and am gunna start watching what i eat, i mean is it true that big women have big babies?? i didnt think i was that big yeah i am over weight and still am i'm 5t 6 and just over 12 stone but im not massivly obese!

and brooke is 18 months and weighs 2 stone and is 2ft 8! so she is still big but she dosnt eat a whole bag of chips for her tea! she has all healthy meals and gets her 5 fruit and veg a day so ther isnt much else i can do about it really! her dad is 6ft 7 so we were never expecting small chidren, she was 53cms when she was born!!!!

argh sorry for all my waffle but ive got myself in a bit of a tizz now worrying that brooke is in danger coz of her weight and also about my and squirts health!

xx

Replies

• When I was pregnant with my daughter I went up to a size 24 (im 18-20 now), It is true that some big women have big babies but not always. I had to be reguarly monitored with my first pregnancy as Im overweight and they said that I should expect a 10lb plus baby. My daughter was 7lb 15oz.

I watched that programme too. the doctor on there said though that scanning a baby to work out the size/weight is something like 'scanning someone in the next room, whos in the bath and trying to work out their trouser size'.

they can never tell and did say that sometimes, they can be wrong by as much as 20%.

to be honest there is nothing you can do is the baby is big anyway. if its how nature intended, then so be it.
  • im more panicking about them hurting the baby when they get it out like they were saying they sometime have to break their arms or collar bones the thought makes me sick to the stomach! touch wood they didnt need to with brooke! x
  • im more panicking about them hurting the baby when they get it out like they were saying they sometime have to break their arms or collar bones the thought makes me sick to the stomach! touch wood they didnt need to with brooke! x
  • I think that would be the worst case scenario and usually because the pelvis is too small, or the baby's head or shoulders is big.

there isnt any good in worrying about something that may never happen. You may have the perfect textbook delivery!!
  • I know how you feel, my first baby was 9lb 10oz, my second 10lb 12oz my 3rd 8lb5oz and my 4th 9lb 6oz. I dont think it is all about how healthy or unhealthy your diet is as I am 5ft 8 and 9 1/2 stone so a size10, I have always eaten fairly healthily, I think alot of it is down to genetics. I have a friend who is very overweight, eats rubbish every day and her baby was a 6lber!
  • thanks hayley thats made me feel alot better! that a tiny person can have big babies! were they all natural deliveries? i think i want a section this time... but then thats more time away from brooke... i dont know! x
  • Hun, calm down!! Barney just snuck under being a 'big' baby at 9lb 7oz, I was a size 12 when I got pregnant and the only weight I put on was my bump, some people just have big babies! In my family in the last 100 years we have had several 9lb ers, at least one over 12lb and my great granny was a wopping 14lb. None of the mums were obese and none of the babies have gone on to be overweight. I saw that program the first time it was on and it painted a really negative picture of big babies, they're not all fat and unhealthy, and neither are their mothers.
    xx