Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Q about MW appointments & consultant care

Hi all

Just got back from our 24 week midwife appnt. All went well - Angus let us find his HB really easily and he even showed off and gave us a few kicks that we heard with the doppler! My urine and BP are all normal so that is good!

I am under consultant care because of my size and have appnts with the consultant at 28, 32 and 36 weeks for growth scans and check up's.

The midwife said therefore, I won't see her until 34 weeks! That's ages!!!!

Does it sound right to you???

She gave me the impression that as I am having consultant appnts, I don't need the regular appnts with her - because the consultant doesn't do much more than what the MW will do (i.e. check pee, BP and HB etc.) but still, to me, it sounds like an easy way out for them to reduce the no. of times they see me!!!

Can anyone under consultant care let me know if this is the same for them?

Really would appreciate your help on this one girlies!!!!

Joo xxx
24+5

Replies

• I've been under consultant care since 24 weeks due to premature labour and I don't see my midwife at all as they do all the checks at the hospital. She is still at the end of the phone and I can make an appt to see her any time I like but I haven't bothered to be honest. She will still see me after the baby is born.

I always see the registrar first who does all the checks and has a good chat about any concerns. The consultant has been there for any scans or drug prescriptions.The last time I went I didn't even see the consultant as there was no need. I was quite happy and everything was fine.

Hope this puts your mind at rest. If you want to see her to then just call her. She should still see you if you feel the need.

Good luck xxx

PS I love consultant care - I've had loads of extra scans and have loads of pictures of my pip!!! Hope this helps xxx
  • I am under consultant care for twins, and had the choice whether or not to have the extra apts with the midwife (so for me it was my choice), it wasn't completly optional as midwife said she would like to see me but it wasn't neccessary as I get the same checks at the hospital, but as these are my first babies i opted for everything i could get my hands on. So basically I had hosp apt (scan/consultant) every 4 wks at 20/24/28/32 and next one at 36 and then saw midwife in between at roughly (22/26/30/33/35). I must say at most of the midwifes apt's when everything as been fine (bp/urine/heartbeats), i have thought maybe i was having too many apt's, but im 35wk now and its been a great reassurance.

So I think what you have been told is fine, but you know if you think you need an apt at any time or more advice, just call, im positive they'll fit you in.

Em x
  • I am under consultant care for twins, and had the choice whether or not to have the extra apts with the midwife (so for me it was my choice), it wasn't completly optional as midwife said she would like to see me but it wasn't neccessary as I get the same checks at the hospital, but as these are my first babies i opted for everything i could get my hands on. So basically I had hosp apt (scan/consultant) every 4 wks at 20/24/28/32 and next one at 36 and then saw midwife in between at roughly (22/26/30/33/35). I must say at most of the midwifes apt's when everything as been fine (bp/urine/heartbeats), i have thought maybe i was having too many apt's, but im 35wk now and its been a great reassurance.

So I think what you have been told is fine, but you know if you think you need an apt at any time or more advice, just call, im positive they'll fit you in.

Em x
  • Thanks so much Em and Dappy!

I'm relieved to hear this appears to be normal / ok!!! You're right, the things they will all do are the same and the midwife said I can make an appointment to see her at anytime... just being our first, we're both extra worried and not sure what we are doing!!!

Really appreciate your replies!

Joo xxxxx
  • Hi joo,

Hope you and Angus are well....

i'm under consultant care also, mine is due to me being a chubby chubb chubb!!!

my apps have been as follows:
    15wk booking in app
    22wk consultant app (booked in for gtt, growth scan at 36wks)
    26wk mw app (bp, urine, height of uterus)
    28wk mw app (as above+ bloods taken)
    31wk mw app (bp,urine, height of uterus)
    33wk consultant (as above)
    35wk mw (as above)

my mw told me from 31wks i will see the consultant at 33wks, then the mw again at 35wks, then consultant at 36wks for growth scan, then consultant again at 37wks for normal check up, then mw at 39 wks.

hope this helps
    xx
    http://women.evenhealth.com/image/c/p931637.png

• Hi

I'm under consultant care as well due to severe hyperemesis.

I've been for my first growth scan today, and it's very much like a normal ante-natal appointment, with a little bit added! I agree, it's ace, because you get to see so much more of your bean that you would otherwise through the NHS!

I'm back in four weeks and then another four weeks after that to be sure everything is as it should be.

Hope this helps,
    C xx
  • Sounds fine!

You are being seen regularly and will have all the checks needed.