Forum home Babies Baby

anyone with more than 1 child

Ok, I have two children, my first, a little girl was born 3 days late and weighed 7lb 4.5oz, my second, a little boy was 4 days late and weighed 8lb 4.5oz. I was the same size when i conceived both, 5ft 4in and a size 14, so i was kind of expecting an 8-9lb-er first time around! We are planning on trying for another in the next couple of months and seriously hoping that the next doesn't jump 1lb in weight again! But my brothers partner has just found out they are expecting again, my neice was born 10 days late and weighed 8lb 5oz, with her mother being a tiny size 8 and 5ft ish tall, she bounced back into her size 8's within days but is worried that this one may jump up a pound in weight like mine did, so, sorry for the really long post, but just wondering what sort of weight gaps you had between your children? were the 2nd always heavier? Do you think yours or your partners weights had any bearing on the size of your baby? (I was 7lb 8oz when born, hubby was an unidentified (they didn't know it was twins!) identical twin and was a tiny 4lb, but he is now a 12st 6footer. Also, having never been induced I also wondered if you are induced 1st time around, whether you're likely to need an induction for any subsequent babies?

Replies

• Hi hun I also worried about my 3rd being massive too! My first was tiny really. 6lbs, 12ozs and 8 days late. Then Charlotte came along, she was 8lbs 7ozs and also 8 days late!!! It was a big difference. S o I thought no3 would be HUGE! Luckily I was wrong as she was 7lbs 12ozs after all, but she was induced 5 days early. So had I gone over again she prob wouldve bin a bit bigger, but not much I don't think. I was 5lbs 14ozs at birth and oh was nearly 10 pound and they had to induce Mil 2 weeks early coz they were worried she wouldnt get him out!!!!! So big differences there!! x x
  • hia im 5ft5 and a size 12.My 1st was 5 days late and weighed 8lb14oz and second was 10 days early and weighed 8lb12oz so was slightly smaller but was born alot sooner.The mw said shed have been 9lb11oz if id have gone to full term based on the weight she was when born 10 days early!!!so yes mine have got bigger,my labours have also halved in time and iv had natural deliveries both times.Im now pregnant again and will be wondering on weight and time of labour as i was under 2 hrs with my last!! lol
  • forgot to mention i was only 2lb 14oz at birth!!
  • hi hun, I was 5ft 7in (my hubby is 6ft 3in and size XL), size 12 before my son and he was 10 days late and weighed 9lbs 2.5ozs, long at 54cm. I breastfed my son so got back to my pre pregnancy size quickly with just a jelly belly.

When i conceived Molly I was exactly the same pre pregnancy weight and size i was with Zach and she was 2 days early and weighed a shocking 10lbs 14ozs!!! Also long at 53cm. I didn't over eat and had very bad all day sickness for the first 16 weeks but still managed to gain over 4 stone!!!!! The placenta was very large and between it and Molly combined weighed 1 stone!

The day after i had her i weighed nearly 3 stone lighter than the day before!!!!!

I m now wearing a size 12/14 for extra comfort and have some weight still to loose but she is only 14 weeks and is breastfed so i know it will drop off soon.

I needed a sweep to kick start my labour with my son and after a very long labour ended with a c-section. Molly's labour was also quite long but i managed a natural birth and a few stitches!!!

My friend was induced with her son and it ended in a section after failure to dilate. He weighed about 8lbs8ozs (14 days late). She just had a girl, 10 days late, no induction and she weighed 7lbs 2.5ozs. So we are all different.

I would guess that your boy weighed more because he is a boy....?

x

http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/25/2533/253382.png

• I'm the same size now as I was when I started TTC Kelsie, my 1st. Infact maybe a bit smaller!! She was 13 days late and weighed 8lbs 6oz. Induction took from Sunday morning at 7am until she was born at 12.44pm Wednesday. Jack was 8lb 9oz 11 days late and wasn't induced. Although went into labour the night before I was due to be, and was having contractions so still went in and told them. They basically left me all day which was fine as it was what we wanted, we still wanted to walk around, have a coffee in canteen etc and then broke my waters at 6pm to speed things up. They wouldn't of done if we hadnt wanted to, but we did because we had our 12 month old with my parents and we were both missing her. 'Proper' labour was 17 hours with Kelsie, and a whopping 26 hours with Jack.

Generally they do say that with your first baby it will be late, 2nd babies are heavier and 2nd labours are quicker.

But everyone is completly different.

For me My 1st was late, my 2nd was heavier, but my labour was not shorter.

I also did do EVERYTHING I could to get both of mine out when I got to 40 weeks. Walking, s e x, endless hours on birthing ball, curry, hot baths, reflexology and castor oil (Took this with 1st and would NOT take again :evil: stuff!!!)

xxx

[Modified by: garfield on January 07, 2009 08:48 PM]

• thank you ladies for your replies.
    El-pinko, how great did that feel when you stepped on the scales? 3 stone in 1 day! Not envying the 10lbs! although my nan had 5 children, all over 10lbs, even to this day she is so proud that she didn't need a stitch with any of them! Ouch though!! and a friend of mine had an 11lb 13oz boy, straight into 3-6 month clothes, needless to say she's not risking a second!
    Also interesting to see the differences in parents weights, and the weights of their children - obviously has ne bearing!
  • well, it looks like babies only come when they're good and ready! But with my dd, sex, 2 pinapples, 2 currys, 6 raspberry leaf tea capsules and a walk seemed to do the trick (the panic when i realised it had!) Maybe shouldn't have tried them all within the space of 12 hours though! I don't think i'd ever have gone as far as the castor oil though, i think i imagine it to taste like cod liver oil - probably nothing like it - but enough to put me off it none the less!
  • My mum is 5"7 and my dad was 6"1. She's ummmmm cuddly :lol: and my dad was thin. I weighed 7lb 5oz.

Daves mum is 4"11 and podgy, and his dad is 5"9 and fat!!

I'm 5"10, and not thin but not fat :lol: Dave is 5"8 and thin. Both Kelsie and Jack were long at birth, still tall for ages now (15 months and 9 weeks) and both are thin.

xx
  • Please don't tell the MIL I called her podgy! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

• ok, i promise! image:lol:
  • She bloody is though :lol:

Thanks!!

• She is though :lol:

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

Thanks!!

• you are still very polite though, just using the word podgy! Unfortunately my MIL is a skinny mare and everyone else is a failure if they're not in the gym at least 5 times a week and attending weekly weigh ins, when already having an unhealthily low BMI, not that i'm jealous or anything!
  • Sorry for the millions of replies, don't know what happend image

My MIL hardly eats anything during the day, but eats a lot during the evening!! And at least 1 bottle of wine a day image

Thank god we don't see her more than once every 6 weeks!!

x