Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Air Hunger

Hi all,

I don't know if this is pregnancy related, something else, or psychological or what but it is really starting to stress me out and get me down and I wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar or knew anything about it. I will go to the doctor next week too. I am 14+5.

It started about 2-3 weeks ago. It comes and goes but is getting gradually worse. I just feel like I can't breath. I keep feeling the need to take big deep breaths but I don't feel like I can get enough air into my body, it makes me yawn a lot to try and get the air in but that doesn't work either all of the time. Sometimes if it gets too severe it makes me wretch (sorry if TMI). It makes my tummy hurt, my chest burn sometimes, it makes me want to just lie down flat as that is the one thing that does seem to help. It's really distressing.

The reason I wondered whether it was psychological is that I had it before on my wedding day. My dress was too tight and by lunchtime I was gasping for air. It went on for about a month after the wedding and the doctor told me maybe I had put stress on my ribcage and it was readjusting. It slowly went away but I had it on and off for a year, especially when I went out to restautants. Which makes me wonder whether it is anxiety related.

But I am really happy and looking forward to everything! I am not anxious (apart from about my breathing!) But there is a corellation between big life events and trouble breathing.

Anyway, I'm sorry if I've gone on a lot. If anyone has had a similar experience or knows someone who has and has any good advice I would love to hear as this is really starting to get me down. :cry:

Thanks,

Nilbett xxxxx

Replies

• Hi Niblett, sorry I don't have any real experience of what you are describing but wanted to say thinking of you and I hope you get on OK at the Dr's.

Julie xxx
  • these sound like symptons of a panic attack hun, my nan gets them a lot, my OH has a fear of being sick and if he ever does he get all the symptoms you have described and says that laying on the floor is the only thing that makes him feel any better, the fact that they happen in situations where you could feel nervous i.e your wedding day and pregnancy is a sign too, you may be excited about having a baby and being pregnant but are you nervous about labour and giving birth etc? i cant really give you any advice on what to do etc as i personally have never suffered from them, but speak to your MW or DR and im sure they would be able to help, hope you feel better soon.

XxXxX
  • stupid site just swallowed my reply, its doing that alot lately!!

Is it possible you are hyperventilating? Sometimes getting to much oxygen can make you feel like you arent getting enough. Try holding a brown paper bag to your face and breathing in and out. This will reduce the concentration of oxygen you are breathing and may help ease the problem. I would definitely talk to your doctor about it though hun.
    Take care
    Lisa xxx
    10+2
  • Hi there,

I've been talking to my hubby about it and we think it does seem to be anxiety related. But I think unconscious anxiety as consciously I'm over the moon. But maybe if I'm pushing my anxieties down inside me they are coming out in physical ways.

I have just started doing pregnancy yoga and pilates which I hope will help and I also bought a pregnancy hypnotherapy CD which I am going to start listening to. I will talk to my doctor and also hubby's stepdad is a hypnotherapist so I might have a word with him and see if he has any suggestions.

I just want it to go away so I can enjoy this trimester!

Niblett xxxx
  • hiya niblett, i agree that it may well be psychological and is some form of panic attack. I have had your symptoms but milder on occasions during life changes but, like you say, not always when you are feeling particularly stressed. I have woken up from sleep sometimes with the same need for air and more so recently when i have got things to do (nothing stresssful) it can take me 15 minutes or so just ro regulate my breathing. I too am going to just try some relaxation techniques. I have also had 2 occasions where i have stopped breathing without realising and having to take big gulps of air (quite funny really!). Anyway, i hope the docs can give you some more advice and that it may well pass for sometimes after you have settled into having your new baby. I hope things get better, let us know how you get on xxx
  • I did Pilates last night and came home and listened to my pregnancy hypnotherapy CD. They both really really helped which is good. (So I am just definitely a bit crazy then!!!) It is still there but it eased it a lot. Hopefully if I keep them up over the months the breathing problem will at least be manageable and not so debiliating even if not completely gone.

Thank you all,

Niblett xxxxx