Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Confused after bleeding and cramps - Scan shows irreg. sac

Hi everyone, I'm new here and was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on what I'm going through at the moment, or that someone might have experienced something similar...

I found out I was pregnant about 3 weeks ago and from what I can work out I think I am about 6 weeks, although I can't be certain. (1st pregnancy, I'm 33 and hubby is 40) About 10 days ago I started with spotting brown blood which gradually progressed to heavier bleeding (although no red) more dark brown with what looked like tissue and lumps (sorry for being so graphic) in it and period like cramps. The bleeding has now stopped and I've gone back to having tiny spots / brown disharge. I went to the Dr's who referred me to the EPAU who scanned me, initally doing an ultrasound where they couldn't see anything then another using a probe where the lady saw a sac.... she said from the measurements it was 5 weeks 4 days and looked a bit "shrivelled" I thought to myself at the time WTF does she mean!!! She wasn't the most approachable of people and I think as I was confused and shocked about what she'd said and so matter of factly it put me off asking anything else! I called them when I got home and I was told that the sac was irregularly shaped. They've booked me in for another scan on Tuesday next week to see if there is any change.

I know in my heart of hearts that this does not all sound very good but no one seems to want to give me a straight answer which is making this all the more frustrating!

If someone else has gone through anything similar, positive or not, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Katie x

Replies

• Hi, I had something similar in november, unfortunatly I lost our baby, but that donesn't mean it is the same for you. By the time I was scanned I had already lost the baby but the sac remained, I was 10 weeks and the sac was very mishapened, the sonographer said the the baby would never have been viable - sorry I hate the use of the word viable.....! I'll keep everything crossed for you and if you do get bad news I'm always here to talk along with all the other ladies on her.