Forum home Babies Sleep

help need sleep

Help please my lo is 20 months and about 3 months ago we put him in a bed but sice then he wakes up at 10 and yes we r bad he gets in wih us but doesnt really sleep he tosses and trns all night so i dont get any sleep at all and i am so tired we have only had a few good nights slep in the whole 20 months and i cant5 cope any more need advise .

i must stres we cant do controlled cdrying cos he just gets out of bed and he will wake his 5 yr old sister up as they share a room so dont think its fare n her to leave him to cry .

and we always put him to bed asleep as he falls asleep on my lap at around 830 we tryed putting him in bed awake but again he wakes his sister up and wont stay in bed any help gratefull neeed to sort this problem

Replies

• Is there no way you can put your daughter to sleep in another room while you get the controlled crying done. TBH letting him fall asleep on you & then having him in your bed are the reasons he wont go to sleep by himself & why he wakes up every night. He is used to it.

The only way to get this sorted is to spend a week sleep training him, Sorry. No other quick fixes or suggestions.
  • I agree that you'll prob have to do some controlled crying or sleep training but I know how hard it is as my 2 share a room too! Maybe if you started it on a weekend then your daughter could have a nap in the day if lo keeps waking her? You might find that she wakes less than you think anyway, even if lo is crying.

I'd suggest starting a bedtime routine and always putting him to bed awake so that he learns to settle himself. It's so hard though! But worth it in the end. Don't take him into your bed if you can help it- cos you're not getting more sleep anyway if he's disturbing you all night!

Be prepared for a tough few nights but stick with it! Good luck hun.

xxx

• THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU I KNOW WOT IM DOING WRONG BUT ITS JUST A CASE OF CHANGING IT ALL AND ASO THE BEING IN A BIG BED HE CAN GET HIMSELF UP AND OUT SO EASY WEHVE TRIED LEAVING HIM T CRY BU THEN OUR DAUGHTER NDS UP WANG UP AND TELLING US TO TAKE HIM OUT WE IDAT ONE POINT WEN WE FIRST MOVED HOUSE A FEW MONBTHS AGO HAD OUR DAUGHTER ON OUR FLOOR AS HE WAS BEING A PAIN DUE TO MOVE BUT IT DIDNT SEEM FAIR OHER SHEWAS USED TO SHAING WITH ELDEST DAUGHTER AND NOW ELDEST HAS OWN ROOM AND SHE IS SHARING WHICH IS HARD FOR TYLER ASWELL I THINK AS HE HAD THE ROOM ON HIS OWN
    IF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE
  • Why not just put her in witht he eldest for a while until he is used to getting off to sleep alone.

As for getting out of bed, invest in a bed guard & if need be, push his bed against a wall so he cant get out the other side.

I understand what you are saying about it being easier & everything but tbh, none of you are getting any sleep so what have you got to lose except a couple of nights of upset. It will so be worth it in the long run. Sleep is a habit & your lo is learning really bad ones. if you dont' stop them now they will just continue to get worse.

Move your daughter out into big sisters room & spend a few nights sorting Tyler out.
  • beebee thanks for your avice peob with moving her in with bigsis is that she only has box room big enough for her only there is no room to put a mattress or bed as you wouldnt get in room or gt out lol we have had to make a bed over slop in room as it is so small any way other wise i would
    i might try this over weekend mayb as she wouldnt mind sleeping on floor for a night or two mayb
  • how about just switching big sis into the bigger room with little sis & moving Tylers bed into the box room? Explain to the girls that it wont be forever just till he is used to sleeping properly. 1 or max 2 weeks.

Once he is in the habit of sleeping & going to bed alone it will be easy to move him back to his other room with his sister but def get a bed guard & if need be block him in with pillows till he undertsands that he isn't allowed to get up once in bed. I do this for Sonny, not cause he is getting up but cause he is such a wiggler & would fall out of bed loads if i didn't.

I know it sounds like hassle but trust me, it will be worth it for all of you. it can't be doing Tyler any good having disturbed sleep every night & you must be exhausted which probably has some knock on effects to your girls.

Good luck.