Forum home Toddlers & older children Toddler

talking?

hi girls, my lo is almost 21 mnts old and still doesnt say many words , he as 3 older brothers so we do live in a busy house but all he can say is mamma,dadda,nanna,boys, and ta he understands everything so i dont think he as a problem wiv his hearing? wot about ur lo at this age? any advice would b gr8!!
luv clare

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev185pr___.png

Replies

• Hi Clare

I was talking to my HV about my LO's speech and she said that, as a professional, she wouldn't worry about number of words until LO was 2.5 years old. She is more concerned about their understanding and interactation with language.
    I've heard that younger siblings often develop physically faster to keep up with older siblings but are slower in speech because the older siblings pre-empt what they want so the younger one doesn't need to talk to express their needs.
    If you're really worried then book him an appt with your GP and talk about your concerns.

Liz x
  • Hi, Isaac is 21 months old now and has only recently started saying quite a bit, he has 3 older brothers and sisters so poor boy can barely get a word in anyway :lol: I started telling the older ones to try and get him to say what he wanted and repeat it to him rather than just giving him whatever he pointed at, it really seems to work becuase his speech is taking off and he says new words most days now.
  • thx girls i will speak to his bros and give it a couple of month then speak 2 our gp! thx again
    luv clare

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev185pr___.png

• Hey there. If you want advice then please feel free to call up your local speech and language therapy service and just get some advice over the phone. X
  • Up until last week, Alex (22 months) was only saying mumma, dadda & bic-bic (biscuit), oh & the occasional ta but this week we have suddenly discovered the words cat & mine......he likes 'mine' a lot lol
  • :lol: mummyx5, Isaacs favourite words at the moment are mine and no.
  • My ds2 was almost three when he started speaking more than about 15 words and our hv said to not worry, so long as he could understand what we were saying (following instructions) and that he could put 3 'words' into a sentence. He could when he had his 2yr check (aged 2.5!, so up to date our hvs are!) and now he's 3 and a quarter and natters me to death! lol
    They speak in their own time, esp if they have older siblings talking for them! Think dd will be voicing her opinions as soon as poss with two older brothers to contend with! ha ha.
  • Reece is 22 months now and can say loads but he was really slow at walking, the last by far between him and all his little mates. They all just develop at their own rates and I dont think you need to worry at the moment. Also I think there can be some very clever elements in not talking and getting older brothers and sisters or parents to do all the hard work! Take care, Jo x
  • Reece is 22 months now and can say loads but he was really slow at walking, the last by far between him and all his little mates. They all just develop at their own rates and I dont think you need to worry at the moment. Also I think there can be some very clever elements in not talking and getting older brothers and sisters or parents to do all the hard work! Take care, Jo x
  • Ollie used to say a few words, but then we had all that trouble with tonsilitis and bronchiolitis and he developed glue ear as a result, which stopped him hearing and talking.
    Now, at 22 months old he can say mama and dada, and make lots of other sounds but he doesnt say any other proper words... he can understand almost anything we say to him, and if he wants something we ask him to say it rather than just tell us, then when he's got it we say the name of it a few times to try and help him along a bit.
    If he hasnt started saying anything other than mama and dada by his next check up they will be looking at putting gromits in to sort out the glue ear, but hopefully he'll get there without them. He certainly knows how to make noise! :lol:

Hopefully your lo will start talking properly soon and its just a case of they dont need to yet with siblings around to say it for them ;\)
    xx