Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

Recurrent mc anyone?

Hi everyone

I haven't been around for a while (since beg/middle Dec) but since taking a break from the forums I've had another mc. That makes 3 in the last 6 months. I kind of can't believe it has happened again - I am so exhausted...mentally and physically.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there is anyone else here who's has recurrent mc's who would like to chat/email?

It feels different now...I guess because medical professionals sit up and take note after 3 mcs and because it's more likely to be because of a problem and not bad luck.

We will be starting tests soon and I'd like to chat to anyone who's been through them or is currently/about to start too.

Feel free to email me using the button below or just reply here.

Thanks, NN xxx

Replies

• Awww NN im so sorry this has happened again :cry: god love ya, i remember you & you are soooo supportive to everyone, you must be devastated.

I dont have experience of recurrent mc just one ectopic last year so im not much help, but i hope you get some answers & as quick as possible you surely deserve that.

take care hon
    KJxx
  • hi sweetie ive just had my second mmc but luckily for me my first was 6 years ago i cannot begin to know how you feel all i can say that my hosp has been really good even tho ive only had 2 mmc they want to keep a better eye on me next time as both mine were mmc xx
  • Hello sweetie, i don't know if you remember me, but I was in the mc support forums with you back in September/Oct. I am so heartbroken to hear your news. I too have just suffered 4th mc, life, I am convinced, is a complete ar$e.

However, I hoped I might be able to help you a bit to let you know my experience regarding testing etc, so at least you know what to expect. After our 3rd mc in Sept we were referred to the recurrent mc clinic. We had a consultation with a nice doctor who explained to us the possibilities about what may be wrong and what may be causing mc, but who also stressed in no uncertain terms, that the most likely cause is unknown and not curable, and is just very, very bad luck. We went ahead with the tests. Which include a whole battery of bloods (I think they took 6 at one and 2 at another). They test for various clotting and blood disorders which may be preventing you from carring a baby to term. If these come back positive, then they can give you heparin or baby aspirin or additional hormone injections when you next become pregnant, which does have some proven success. The other test they run is a chromosomal one and for this both you and hubby have to give some blood. They then take this away to grow the cells to see if there is a chromosomal disorder which makes your genes incompatible and therefore causes the baby not to grow properly and for you to mc. It takes up to 3 months to get these results back, sadly, if they find a problem, there is no cure, but they are able to give you a more realistic picture of your likelihood to coneive.

I have also had a scan of my uterus and ovaries to check there are no abnormalities there.

So far, all our results have come back clear, we are still waiting for chromosomal ones which we should get in Feb. To be honest, I have found the process of looking into things has helped, it's given me something to focus on and has made me feel like I am at least trying to do something. In a way, I really wanted them to find a problem so they could fix it, but in another way so far everything has been ok and I am a little relieved.

If you want to ask any questions or just chat, I would be more than happy to email in the real world. I have made contact with another girl through BE who has just suffered her 5th mc I think and it's nice to talk to other people in the same position. Sadly, we just understand.

Am sending you all the love and hugs I can find to help you through this crappy, crappy time. Look after yourself, rest lots and take care.

Em xx
  • Nattynik
    I just wanted to send you lots of hugs. I was on the MC forum in Oct when you were. You were laways so lovely and I wondered how you were getting on.
    I hope you get some answers soon. I don't know what else to say, just that I am so so sorry. Life can be really tough. I wish there was more I could do! Take care of yourself.
    Lilou x
  • Hi Ladies

Thank you so much for all your lovely, understanding and supportive replies. Sorry I haven't replied until now - I went to stay with my sister for the weekend to get a change of scenery and then today my dog's been having an op on his leg.

KJ - it's so lovely to hear from you and thank you for your kind words. How are you getting on? I have often thought of you and wondered how things were going for you - you had such an awful time with the ectopic and the hospital last year. I hope things are better now and you're doing ok xxx

faith - thank you for your reply. I am so sorry to hear about your losses. I'm glad your hospital have been good though and will keep a close eye on you next time. I really hope everything will be ok for you next time. I must say that our hospital have been fantastic too and all the ladies in the EPU are lovely and we have been referred very quickly.

Em - thank you so much for your kind words and sharing your experience with me. Yes, I do remember you! You were always so lovely and supportive. I am so, so sorry to hear about your 4th mc - life is so unfair at times. You really do not deserve all this heartache and pain.
    Thanks for talking me through the tests you've had - we are going for our first bloods tomorrow. We haven't seen the consultant yet but I'd really like to see him (or someone at least) so they can explain everything to us - so far all we've had is a brief explanation from the EPU nurses. They said we'd see the consultant within 3 months once all the results are back. Half of me is keen to get on with the tests but the other half is so scared of what they might find...or if they find nothing and we just have to keep trying not knowing how many more times this will happen. I am trying to stay positive, but it's so difficult some times.
    I really hope your chromosone tests come back ok next month - I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you and your OH.
    Feel free to email me via the button below - would be lovely to chat to you off the forums too.
    Anyway, thank you again for your reply xxx

Helen - thank you for your reply and support. I am so, so sorry to hear about all your losses. I cannot imagine how you must be feeling and how difficult this must have been for you. My losses have all been quite early (10 1/2 weeks, 4 1/2 weeks and nearly 7 weeks) and I cannot imagine how you must have felt loosing 3 babies so late on. You really are a very brave lady and an inspiration to never give up. I really hope your dream of another baby comes true very soon - you so deserve that. Good luck getting referred to saint marys - I really hope your Dr listens to you.

Lilou - I remember you from the other forum last year. Thank you so much for your kind words and support. Just reading replies like yours helps and makes me feel less alone in all this. How are you getting on? Thanks again xxx

• Hi Nattynik,
    It's lovely to see you back, please don't feel lonely. It's just heartbreaking it is under these circumstances!!:cry::cry:
    I finally got another BFP in the NY which we were pleased about as the Dr was talking about putting us on clomid as I hadn't been ov up until then. I am going for an ealry scan tomorrow as have had some bouts of very sharp pains that keep me awake at night. This whole journey from TTC, then getting a BFP and the angst of trying to make it through the 12 weeks is all so terrifying. But I just keep trying to tell myself if I want a baby of my own I will just have to keep going through this.
    How are you doing? Make sure you look after yourself.
    Lilou x
  • Hi honey, i'm doing ok thanks rough few months to say the least but nearly over now :lol::\) Have to wait 6 months before TTC but we've nearly 3 down already so time is passing quickly.

still cant believe how unlucky you have been its just awful :cry:. xx