Forum home Archived Birth Clubs My baby was born in June 08

My poor boy has been to the hospital :-(

hi girlies hope all ok...

bloody hell, had a scare last night...Braedon was absolutely fine all day yesterday, in fact slept well and a happy chappy. was at madi's afterschool gymnastics class about 20 mins away, had coffee with my mum, Braedon had avocado for tea, all was well. we left about 5.30 to drive home, and 5mins into journey Braedon started coughing and then screaming, couldnt pull over as on the motorway and by the time i got home at 6, he was struggling to breathe, coughing, screaming, boiling hot and was making the most awful sound when breathing. gave him calpol and went and sat in bathroom wiht hot shower running to make steam and rang doctors...they told us to go straight to a&e.

my mum came over to look after madi and by this point, Braedon had calmed down a bit and was looking perkier but still not breathing right so we went up to hosp where the dr said he had an asthma attack, prob caused by allergy to avocado and sent us on our way with inhaler.

had bad night, none of us slept much as his breathing so noisy we kept waking up to check him. This morning he seemed better but not at all himself, refused to eat anything an not taking more than a couple of oz milk befoe screaming...been really miserable bless him. was bit confused by the whole "your baby has asthma, have a nice life" approach from hopsital so went to GP who checked him over and then said he prob has virus but not asthma...arrrghh, so confused! Health visitor said keep him away from all fruit (he's always reacted strange to fruit anyway, maybe related?) bt GP said to carry on as normal. WTF? what do i do now? am terrified that if i give him fruit he may react badly if this was caused by an allergy, could it trigger asthma again to all fruit?

he is so miserable at the mo, finally in bed exhausted but cant sleep, wont eat or drink, keeps just doing a really feeble, screamy cry even when cuddling. help somebody!!!!!!

Replies

• Awww hun, firstly huge hugs to you all as it must have been terrifying.........

I don't know if this is of any help but was given this leaflet when Mason was diagnosed with eczema and it about peanut allergies but they are a study about allergies and might be helpful??
    They are called Leap, 08002346522
    www.leapstudy.co.uk

Maybe of absolutely no help to you at all but its free.

Sending big hugs and kisses to Braedon and yourself.x x x
  • Bless hun I bet that was scarey!!!! These babies certainly know how to make us all jump!!!!
    Not really sure about the asthma being triggered by fruit? I thought it was more by airborne particles like dust, animal fur and such things. I would call leap as Katie mentioned above and see if they can help. Its terrible that you were treated that why by the hospital and that your doctor or hv can't assist you more!!!!
    Big hugs to you all hun and I hope he gets better soon! xxxxx
  • As far as I'm aware, it's usually the pectin in fruit that can cause the allergies most commonly but I thought that was usually on the skin.

I would avoid fruit altogether for now and ask for a referral to the allergy clinic at your local hospital hon. It's not good enough to send you home with misinformation with something that has caused stress to his breathing. It's not as though it was just a rash or something, it was more severe than this.

Hope Braedon's feeling a little better, just in case the hospital didn't mention it, they usually do go off their food while they're wheezy cos they're using their energy up breathing, but keep trying with his fluids.

Big hugs to you bothxx
  • thanks for replies girlies, Braedon seems a lot better today, started eating a little bit now but still not taking much milk but we will get there...very clingy, he panics if i leave him alone think he found the whole thing quite stressful.
    Thanks Katie, will look into that Leap thing x
    i dont know much about it tbh but my sister has asthma that is triggered by dairy, when she was a kid she would have ice-cream at a party then end up in hospital for a week wit her asthma...theres a lot of asthma and eczema in my family so it was at the back of my mind that this may happen at some point which is partly why i was concerned by Braedons intense dislike of fruit, in case it was causin some sort of reaction x
  • thanks for replies girlies, Braedon seems a lot better today, started eating a little bit now but still not taking much milk but we will get there...very clingy, he panics if i leave him alone think he found the whole thing quite stressful.
    Thanks Katie, will look into that Leap thing x
    i dont know much about it tbh but my sister has asthma that is triggered by dairy, when she was a kid she would have ice-cream at a party then end up in hospital for a week wit her asthma...theres a lot of asthma and eczema in my family so it was at the back of my mind that this may happen at some point which is partly why i was concerned by Braedons intense dislike of fruit, in case it was causin some sort of reaction x
  • poor lil man! They wont usually diagnose it before 2 so he must of been very poorly! J has illness induced astma which means as soon as he is ill (colds, chest infections ect) it triggers astma and he needs a spacer and sulbutomol. Hope Breadon is feeling better hun and hope you do too. Take care xx xx
  • Poor mummy and poor Braedon. How is he now hun? Replied on baby but it didn't go through last night. You had said before he was crying when eating fruit, so maybe you were right and it is stinging his mouth. Poor sausage. Hope you're both feeling ok now. xxx