Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

can you claim benefits while on maternity leave?

Hi i was wondering can you claim any benefits whilst on maternity leave?

Ive had to start maternity leave earlier than planned (32 weeks instead of 36).
I will only be recieving statutory maternity pay which is 117 a week- doest even pay my rent, as my company dont do their own maternity pay scheme.
I have been unable to claim working tax credits whilst i was worikng as i am under 25, and my partner doesnt earn much- he can claim the WTC but because im under 25 he cant get them-daft in my eyes!
plus i miss out on the new grant for pregnant women as my due date is in march another annoying one!!

ive tried looking on the internet but its so confusing dont know where to get help from!
a very confused lou 31+6

Replies

• Options
    hi, i am in the same predicament. I am unable 2 claim any housing benifts towards rent as my partner works. Although u have every right to the sure start maternity grant, u can pick a form up from the job centre but how much u get depends totaly on ur cercumstance. i was able to claim ??500, but hurry and get it sent in as they will find any excuse not to pay out!! hope this helps
  • Options
    try the citizen advice bureau they might have some ideas. x
  • Options
    I would have thought that if your partner is on a low income as well you should be able to get income support, i think its if your annual income is less then GBP14,999 per annum, if you look at the benefits section on the government website that should help Xxx
  • Options
    I would have thought that if your partner is on a low income as well you should be able to get income support, i think its if your annual income is less then GBP14,999 per annum, if you look at the benefits section on the government website that should help Xxx