Forum home Babies Baby
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How much salt for a 13 month old?

Title speaks for itself really. How much salt per day is safe for a 13 month old. So far I've tried to avoid as much salt as possibe, but I want to start giving lo more of our food. So is it ok to give him spag bol made with a jar of Dolmio, and to use jars of casserole sauce and things? I don't intend to do this all the time, but sometimes it would be nice to do something quick and easy for us and not have to do something separate for lo.

Cheers.

Replies

• Personally we dont like a lot of salt anyway, so all of food is cooked normally without, unless there is a very small percentage already in the food. We don't add any salt to boiling water if we're cooking pasta/spaghetti/rice etc. To be honest I can't really notice a difference in taste whether its been added or not. Kelsie was having everything we eat from 12 months onwards so at 13 months I can't see any harm in him having 'your food'. Kelsie had about 6 jars and just didnt like them, she hated them, and we never liked her eating them either really. Its so rewarding when you've cooked something and LO eats it image
  • we do use salt, i know there was a guideline to how much is alright and being the useless person i am i dont remember - sorry. however zachariah is coming up to 14mth and i will happily use jars such as dolmio etc and regular stock cubes but i dont tend to add my own pinch of salt unless ive taken his portion out already. hth
  • im sure this will be fine as your lo is over a year.Im still very fussy now with what i give my kids and my oldest is 3 1/2!if getting a jar or something to do spag bol as u said id check the salt content on labels.Im also fussy with sugar too but thats just me!! xxx
  • i don't add salt to any of annes food and she is nearly 3. the only time she has salt is if it as already in the food it self, and i alway check that there is not to much.
  • I'm sure its 1g for a 1 year old. What I do is make the same dinner but take out the meat/veg/whatever just before I add the sauce then use heinz baby sauces which work well. Doesn't feel like any more prep time either.