Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

can they be wrong

hi i am new here just joined today and i would love some advice tks

i have 3 kids all normall pregancys decided on november08 to try for another baby on dec08 i was pregant,

had a bit of brown spotting before xmas and i made a appoitemnt with the epu on the 29th december08 i got a scan i would have been round 4 weeks i had a sac and a yolk and i was told everything was fine,

went back up the following week and i got told the yolk was not as big as it should have been but my sac was growing well so they gave me another week,

went back up the following week i should have been 6 weeks gone they said the following week my yolk or sac one of the two measured 1850 but they said they couldnt see a baby and that my yolk had stopped growning and that i would misscarry,

they offered me a D&C i refused let nature take its course,

now 10 days on i have no cramping no bleedings still have all my symtons ,

is 6 weeks to early to see anything and could they have it wrong,

i dont know what to think i did call my midwife who offered me a scan next week but she did add they dont get it wrong and they go by measurments but im not to sure,

i do how ever have a scan in 3 weeks to see if i misscarried.

has anyone heard of this and have they found a baby or am i only dreaming and getting my hopes up,

i have read a few stories on the net.

would love some advice tks

my symtons are getting worse feeling sick all the time no hunger sore boobs and really tired

Replies

• Hi Taylor

Welcome to BE - sorry you've joined under these circumstances to seek advice on mc though.

My first thought is have they done any blood tests to check your HCG levels? Normally you would have 2 bloods tests 48 hours apart to see what your HCG levels are doing (they should approx double every 2 - 3 days). That way they could see if your pregnancy is progressing as it should or not.

I would say that they don't often get it wrong but there can always be an exception to a rule. With my first mc last July I chose to miscarry naturally even though it was taking a long time and they were almost certain it was a mc just in case there was even a 0.01% chance they were wrong.

One thing I would say is that you can still get pregnancy symptoms for a few weeks even after a mc while the hormone levels are dropping. With my first mc I still got NEW symptoms about 3 weeks after starting to bleed. Mc'ing naturally can be a slow process too.

At 6 weeks they should be able to tell if a pregnancy is viable or not, but not always - in some women it takes longer. However, if your blood levels are over 1000 then they should be able to see a pregnancy sac and usually a heart beat at around 6 - 7 weeks.

I really hope that they've got in wrong in your case but I would definitely ask them to do your HCG levels to give you a better idea of what's going on.

Good luck, NN xx
  • tks for ur reply they did offer to take blood but i have a phobia about needles,

my sister and my friend have told me to get a second opioion and the hospital did offer me another scan next week which i did refuse dont know why maybe i should have took it,

my guess would be they could see it at 6 weeks and they have it right and im wrong,

and from what u have written i can see ur point and just accept i will misscarry.

how far along where u and how long did it take for u to misscarry natural
  • Oh Taylor, I really hope my reply didn't upset you. I was just trying to answer some of your questions from the experiences I've had (had 3 mc's).

But no, never give up hope until you know for certain what is happening. I certainly didn't when I had my first mc. I would take up that scan next week so you don't have to wait 3 weeks - the waiting is so difficult.

Bear in mind that every woman is different and every mc is different. Of my 3, no two have been the same even though I let all 3 happen naturally. The first one I started bleeding at 8 weeks but lost the baby at 10 1/2 weeks. However, I was bleeding for over 8 weeks altogether (but this is very unusual - I had part of the pregnancy left in my uterus). The 2nd mc was at 4 1/2 weeks and was like a very heavy and painful period and I bled for about 5 days. This last mc I was 6 weeks and 6 days preganant and I only had 2 days of heavy bleeding (despite being further along that the 2nd time) and not too much pain.

I really hope I didn't upset you and I am so sorry if I did.

Take care, NN xx
  • *double post*

[Modified by: NattyNik on January 25, 2009 07:35 PM]

• oh u didnt upset me dont worry u just made me see sense,

spoke to my bf and he has told me to get that scan next week so i will do it,

this seems to be going on for the past nearly 3 weeks and still no pain or craming.

im sorry about ur loss i dont know how u cope i do hope u have a sucsefull pregancy one day.
  • Thank you Taylor - some days I do feel like I'm not coping. We're taking a break from trying for 3 months while we wait for recurrent mc test results - I sure need a rest both physically and emotionally.

Anyway, I think it's a really good idea to have the scan next week and you will be in my thoughts. Let me know how it goes.

When I had my first mc they told me that if I still hadn't mc'ed after 6 weeks that they would intervene. It's unusual to take a long time but everybody is different and it depends on the circumstances. When I first started bleeding at 8 weeks my bloods were still in line with an 8 week pregnancy and they said that some women's bodies are just slower to 'realise' and 'deal' with it.

But like I said, don't give up all hope yet and don't be afraid to get a second opinion.

Take care, NN xx
  • hi

my body does seem to be taking a long time it makes things alot harder to believe which is prop why im having doubts i know deep down there right.

giving ur body a break is a good thing give it time to adjust,

this was my 1st all my other 3 pregancys where normall find it hard to understand why it happened this time.

i was told at the hospital it can take 6 weeks to come away.

i do wish u all the luck next time.