Forum home Pregnancy Miscarriage & pregnancy loss

threatened miscarriage

Hi - I really need a bit of advice (this might be long).
I am 8 weeks pregnant with my first pregnancy and have had a threatened miscarriage.

It started on Wednesday, I work nightshift and was asked to stay late to attend a meeting where I was told my job was under threat of redundancy. Obviously this is a bit of a shock. It ended up I couldn't sleep that day and called HR to say I wouldn't be on shift on Wednesday night.

I finally did get to sleep but when I woke up and went to the loo I noticed some discharge (brown), I was worried and called NHS24 who advised that I should go to the out of hours doctor at my local hospital (I was there at 2 in the morning). Nothing was done that night but I was advised to book an appointment at the early pregnancy unit at my maternity hospital - I tried to do this on Thurs but was told I need to be referred by my Doc! I eventually got through to my Doc and he made an appointment for Friday morning.

On Friday I noticed that the discharge was no longer brown but more red - this worried me even more and led to more tears.

I had an internal scan and this confirmed that I am indeed still pregnant - my worry now is that I am still bleeding. It's not like a period bleed but it's always there when I wipe.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by posting here, but I didn't know where else to post. I'm worried sick - work is the last thing on my mind.

If anyone has any advice, please share this with me.

Replies

• Hi there

I'm really sorry you're going through this right now.

Have they taken any bloods or are you booked in for another scan?

I know it is easier said than done but try and rest and relax as much as you can. Take comfort in the fact that your baby is still there. And know that we are always here to listen.

Many women bleed in eary pregnancy and everything is ok, esp around the time your period would have been due.

You are in my thoughts.

Take care, NN xx
  • hi hun, my friends daughter has been bleeding since 10 weeks pregnant, she is fine, is now 21 weeks and just found out she is having a girl. im happy but oh so sad at the same time, i should be 6 months by now
  • Hi - thank you for replying.

I'm still bleeding - it's not heavy like a period but I have noticed a few darker spots but again nothing like my usual period - it's more just there when I wipe (TMI).

I'm going to call the EPU in the morning and take it from there.

I have no pains or cramps and my boobs are still sore and obviously I am very weepy.

I can really see my work far enough, I have a consultation on possibly redundancy on Wednesday morning and it really is the last thing I need at the moment.

I'm so grateful to have this site my poor Hubby doesn't know what to do for the best bless him.

I just need to get things out in the open.

I'll keep you updated with my progress.
  • good luck sweet heart xx

but keep hubby close. although sometimes its good to let it out, you need him for that physical contact xx
  • Thank you!

I have an appointment at the EPU again tomorrow at 10am for another scan - keeping everything crossed at the moment.

Hubby will be with me.

Trying to keep positive as there are no pains although the bleeding is heavier.

I really do have a lot of support from both my husband and my family which I am so thankful for.

• Good luck at your scan. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care, NN xx
  • Hi - had my scan on friday and the baby (well bean) is doing well - doubled in size from last week and was jumping about so much is was hard to catch it!

It was such a relief - I can't tell you how much of a rollercoaster the last couple of weeks have been.

I'm still bleeding heavily but the Doctor can't see any reason why. I've to stay off work until the bleeding stops and have another scan booked for next Friday.

We are statying as positive as we can and I think I could get used to a week on the sofa being looked after.

I'll keep you posted with what's going on, at the moment I really can't tell you how happy we are :\) :\)
  • Oh that's fantastic news - I am so happy for you!

Take it easy and let us know how you get on next week. I hope the bleeding stops soon for you.

~ NN xx